Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2015, 06:17   #46

Boat: Ericson 34
Re: Creative solutions for packing a dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBonesBotta View Post
So I have a 30' sloop that I'm gearing up for coastal cruising on the U.S. west coast. I'm wondering if anyone has any creative ideas on where to keep a 10' rigid dinghy. I tried an inflatable but that was nothing but a pain. Obviously I can keep it on the forepeak but that would be unpleasant if I have to go forward. I can tow it, but I'd be nervous doing that in my native Oregon waters. Could try davits but I'm wanting to get a wind vane. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
If a picture is worth a thousand words, how many words is worth a YouTube ?

... seen it in the West Indies & elsewhere usualy used by old salts on long term cruising boats
https://www.google.com/search?q=Nest...w=1366&bih=647
... Brilliant !
Sailing dinghies are really great... no need for gasoline onboard, simple cat boat free standing mast with roll up sail, show the anchorage that you still have some brain activity despite your age or the funny smell of your "cigarettes" etc... Cheers !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TwoHalfsDinghy_05.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	100724   Click image for larger version

Name:	TwoHalfsDinghy_04.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	100725  

Name:	TwoHalfsDinghy_03.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	100726   Click image for larger version

Name:	TwoHalfsDinghy_02.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	100727  

Name:	TwoHalfsDinghy_01.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	100728   Click image for larger version

Name:	HalfsDinghy.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	100729  

ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 20:02   #47

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

One thing to consider, if you're attracted to a PortaBote, is exactly where you'll stow it. Remember the picture atoll posted of the little hard dinghy lying against the cabin top and dodger, and his comment that for trade wind passages, it was stowed on the windward side? This was so that a wave crashed onto the boat, it would beat the dinghy onto the deck, not try to tear it out taking the stanchions and lifeline with it.

Now, imagine how to stow the folded up PortaBote. Probably way better flat on the cabin top, or tightly against the cabin side, than on the side deck, lashed to the life-lines.

As to nesting dinghies, some friends of ours have one that is actually two prams, one of which can be sailed. So they have a longish dinghy when both are attached, but they are really, a two-car family, so to speak. If someone is interested, I'll make an effort to get more details.

Ann
Old 21-04-2015, 20:45   #48

Boat: Pearson Triton

I built a Two-Paw nesting dinghy for my 28' Pearson Triton. After a year I have mixed emotions. Mainly, it's nigh impossible when I'm alone to assemble, launch, and then retrieve. Mine can't be assembled in the water--at least I can't manage it.

With a second pair of hands it's still a challenge to assemble on such a small fore deck, but no more so than inflating an inflatable floor dinghy on the cabin top (which I sometimes carry in the v-berth instead of the "nester" as my wife likes its stability compared to the hard dink).

I usually carry the "nester" forward of the mast and yes, I can't get out through the hatch in an emergency. It fits behind the mast under the boom but this precludes a vang, and it fits assembled under the boom but this makes it hard to get through the companionway. More importantly, I don't store it on the coachroof since I can't see forward from the cockpit without standing up. Also, this would make a dodger impossible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	two-paw3.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	100751   Click image for larger version

Name:	two-paw1.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	100752  

vancouver25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 22:34   #49

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

Another vote for a 9' inflatable. I have a WestMarine/Zodiac RU260 and a Torqueedo. Rolls up flat, inflates just fine, the torqueedo zips us around and charges from the mothership. Fits in one side of the V-Berth on our 26 foot boat, or upside down on the bow and the jib tacks over it. Also easily towed. Many options. Easy to move around, inflates easily with the included footpump, which is faster than a 12VDC inflator.

I don't know why anyone would use anything else on a small boat.
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 02:45   #50

Boat: Cal 2-46

Firstly, carry the biggest dinghy you can get on board. Inflatables ?. No question that they beat hard dinghies. Surprised you have issues here. We used to have a 38' and carried one 10 ft plastic dinghy and one 10ft Rib both on the foredeck plus a roll up in the anchor well. Eventually ditched the plastic and the roll up when the kids moved on. If you cannot fit a RIB then consider a roll up. Anything except a hard dinghy. But then we refuse to tow anything. Been hurt too often.
Jimmyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 07:52   #51

I purchased the Intex Mariner 3, a three man boat. It now costs under $200 on Amazon. They also make a 4 person version. I bought the outboard bracket and mounted a 2hp--nice for heading into the wind.

Mine has a soft bottom, so we do not stand up in it, this one appears to be a newer version with slats. Mine rolls up very small and fits in a lazarette on our 27 foot Tartan. Inflates with a 12 volt pump that I purchased at Walmart (comes with a hand pump that works pretty good, but does not deflate like the 12 volt pump).

Bought it at Amazon:

Amazon.com : Intex Mariner 3 Boat Set : Sports & Outdoors

P.S. Concerning the comment, "As far as a portabote is concerned, I've heard that the rubber on them doesn't agree with prolonged exposure to salt water.", and the reply, "Where did you hear that crap? Plenty of people are using Porta Botes in salt water long term. Just because you heard something doesn't make it true."--it appears to me that BigBonesBotta realized that "Just because you heard something doesn't make it true", and for that reason was looking for expert advice from the knowlegable people on this forum.
agilmore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy