Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2023, 19:27   #1

Cruisair question

Hi all,
I have a self contained Cruisair air conditioner on my new to me boat. It is the type where the compressor and condenser/fan unit are mounted together as a package.
I (accidentally) started the system recently without turning on the raw water supply through-hull valve and the unit promptly shut down. Although the control panel is lit up, it is not responding to push button commands and the unit won’t start up.

I have read in an on-line Cruisair manual (page 15 with small diagram page 17) that there is a water flow switch on this? unit. I’m guessing that this switch may have activated and shut down the system, and requires re-setting to get the unit going again.
however, I can’t find the switch.

Appreciate your advice and assistance.
Unicorn183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2023, 21:41   #2

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: Cruisair question

What model AC unit (should be on a sticker on the unit), and do you have a remote panel, does it have a model number on it.

1.Depending on remote there could be a factory re-set using combination of up and down buttons for 3 seconds (for example)
2. The water pump">raw water pump may have blown a fuse or relay

I would recommend posting a photo of the unit, the wires going into it and raw water pump.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2023, 05:25   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn183 View Post
Hi all,
I have a self contained Cruisair air conditioner on my new to me boat. It is the type where the compressor and condenser/fan unit are mounted together as a package.
I (accidentally) started the system recently without turning on the raw water supply through-hull valve and the unit promptly shut down. Although the control panel is lit up, it is not responding to push button commands and the unit won’t start up.

I have read in an on-line Cruisair manual (page 15 with small diagram page 17) that there is a water flow switch on this? unit. I’m guessing that this switch may have activated and shut down the system, and requires re-setting to get the unit going again.
however, I can’t find the switch.

Self-contained ACs are often controlled by wall panels and the instructions for the various models of those might be helpful.

Our Cruisair Stowaway models happen to be controlled by SMXir wall panels, but other options might be Passport, Passport II, or Elite... and maybe others. Maybe you can determine which controls you have, and then download more complete (?) programming instructions for those. A reset, maybe...

Also, there are often TWO breakers on your AC electrical panel for AC (aircon) control. One for the raw water pump, one each for the individual AC (aircon) units. Opening the raw water pump breaker would be in addition to opening your sea cock.

-Chris
Old 29-06-2023, 10:03   #4

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Not a water flow switch but a gas pressure switch that likely trips when no cooling water. Not sure on the Cruiseair, but the pressure switch typically has a reset button, usually red. Located on the unit itself, not the control panel or thermostat.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 02:04   #5

Thanks for your replies.
The unit is a Cruisair SXR16CK running off 220/240 VAC.
The controller is a SMX II panel.
The 2 photos are of the unit and the wiring diagram on the underside of the electrical panel cover.
I have tried connecting the 2 yellow wires that go to the high pressure switch to bypass that, but with no effect.
There is only the one circuit breaker - I can’t see another separate breaker switch for the pump.
The controller shows the temp but is not responsive on any buttons. The pump and AC do not start. I think I hear a click when it is powered up initially.
Any more thoughts??

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1688460676.012470.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	277649Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1688460794.255495.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	277650
Unicorn183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 02:16   #6