Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 08:35   #1

Boat: 1970 42' ChoeyLee
Diesel Injector Changes

Good morning, I have heard that by changing the fuel injectors on the engine, that fuel consumption can be lessened or increased depending on the need/use of the engine. Could someone help clarify this for me? I have a Perkins M-65 Diesel and presently use about 1/2 gallon an hour at 8-850rpm pushing me at about 3.5 kn. Thanks in advance for the help.
Nirvava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:43   #2

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
The pressure setting and nozzle size will increase or decrease the fuel used, but thats usually varied in relation to other adjustments like the fuel pump setting and turbo boost pressure, where applicable
Old 03-07-2009, 09:52   #3

Boat: 1970 42' ChoeyLee
So it isn't as easy as having a second set of injectors aboard?
Nirvava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:11   #4

Boat: Manta 40
You most likely wont be changing the injector just the nozzles that are the very tip. It is common that engines come from the factory "detuned" and adding things like larger nozzles can actually give you better mileage but I wouldn't mess with it. More fuel without more air is going to increase your EGTs (exhaust gas temps) which is bad for a diesel.

You don't have a turbo on that one but it is a direct injection engine which is much more efficient than the IDIs so to answer your question yes you can change the nozzle size but it's not as simple as that. If you do mess with it install an EGT gauge before the mods and keep track of what's going on after the mods. If you can't do the labor yourself you'll be throwing money out the window.

For ex: I have installed larger nozzles on a TDI that I am working on but I also have installed a higher flow turbo, a custom injection pump (with a manually adjustable max fuel screw) and an EGT guage to keep track of what the mods are doing to the EGTs.