Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2020, 20:07   #1

Boat: looking to buy my own 40 foot
Dinghy davits cost approx

Hello everyone I have a question about the cost of having a set of dingy davits made that’s made for the boat specifically prefab set.I am trying to buy a boat something very close or the same as a Whitby 42, Mapleleaf .org a Camper Nicholson off I get my way .org something very well built with tankage anyway, typical squared off aft. I need to price out at least an approximate cost of having a set of dinghy davits made so far I can hope to be able to afford the cost of the boat and setting up the way I want it so I’m hoping someone out there can give me a ballpark figure as I was not able to get a hold of any manufactures today because they were closed by the time This all came about.
Also in the same boat when it comes to having a hardtop made for my boat some thing that is similar to what is on a camper and Nicholson or the Amel boats and then the Bimini to enclose the rest of the Center cockpit cockpit, if any one hasn’t had this sort of work done I would oil do love Tom bear from you. Also if anyone has experience having a set of davits made in the USA compared to say Thailand’s or Mexico.thamks Tom all.
On this boat again I have to price out batteries and solar panels figure out performence versus Price is anyone has advice while they are hereI have not been keeping up on this topic in a while so thanks again
Lucas1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 22:20   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Re: Dingy davits cost approx

I had a radar arch plus dinghy davits custom made for my boat, a 50' monohull. Material is 316L heavy wall 2" tubing. The guy that did it is an absolute master. Cost was $15,000 a few years ago.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 01:00   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas1983 View Post
Hello everyone I have a question about the cost of having a set of dingy davits made that’s made for the boat specifically prefab set.I am trying to buy a boat something very close or the same as a Whitby 42, Mapleleaf .org a Camper Nicholson off I get my way .org something very well built with tankage anyway, typical squared off aft. I need to price out at least an approximate cost of having a set of dinghy davits made so far I can hope to be able to afford the cost of the boat and setting up the way I want it so I’m hoping someone out there can give me a ballpark figure as I was not able to get a hold of any manufactures today because they were closed by the time This all came about.
Also in the same boat when it comes to having a hardtop made for my boat some thing that is similar to what is on a camper and Nicholson or the Amel boats and then the Bimini to enclose the rest of the Center cockpit cockpit, if any one hasn’t had this sort of work done I would oil do love Tom bear from you. Also if anyone has experience having a set of davits made in the USA compared to say Thailand’s or Mexico.thamks Tom all.
On this boat again I have to price out batteries and solar panels figure out performence versus Price is anyone has advice while they are hereI have not been keeping up on this topic in a while so thanks again
i bought a set of these for £300 then customised them to extend a bit further,added supports on the sides,and a cross bar for a solar panel.
total cost was about $700 ,light and strong enough to lift upto an 80kg dinky with outboard

https://www.marinescene.co.uk/produc...kaAtfyEALw_wcB
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 06:29   #4

Boat: looking to buy my own 40 foot

I was really looking forward to seeing what you had done especially after the other guy said it cost him 15K but the link does not work for some reason, could you try sending it again or you some sort of a different link if possible. Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i bought a set of these for £300 then customised them to extend a bit further,added supports on the sides,and a cross bar for a solar panel.
total cost was about $700 ,light and strong enough to lift upto an 80kg dinky with outboard

https://www.marinescene.co.uk/produc...kaAtfyEALw_wcB
Lucas1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 07:01   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

go to "Defender Industries" marine catalog....
they have a variety of dinghy davits that can be had for around $1,500.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 08:56   #6

Boat: Nonsuch 354

If you have something custom made, you pay for everything. There are no economies of scale. When I was in the construction business many years ago I would tell my customers that the only reason to have something custom made was if you absolutely could not find what you needed/wanted in the marketplace. I still feel that is true.
Old 23-07-2020, 09:02   #7

Boat: Hunter 46

$1500 - 3000 from a range of fabricators.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 09:04   #8

Boat: Beneteau 40CC

I’M Unclear from the OP whether you’re looking for custom or off-the-shelf. I bought Plastimo Davist, 350 lb capacity for about $800. Reinforced the deck around their fitting, but have gone to the Bahamas and back from Florida with our hard-bottomed inflatable on them.

F
DreaminFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 09:51   #9

Location: Cruising on US East Coast 2024, Sailing back to Med 2025
Boat: Taswell 49' All Season Pilothouse
Send a message via Skype™ to Brendan
Re: Dinghy davits cost approx

I'm lusting after Kato Marine Voyager Davits for my 49' Taswell All Seasons: Kato Marine
Cost US $5,280, plus US$1,320 for the custom transom mounts so I can get the dink back far enough to squeeze in a Hydrovane in front of it.
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 10:17   #10

$2000 minimum if simple. There are good pre fabs that will work usually though.
Either type of these will often work.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_CqfrcdWFub...0/P1010302.JPG
http://www.boat-project.com/boats/watermount.jpg

Nova Davit, $1800
https://www.allboatproducts.com/Davi...it-System.html

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 10:23   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

there are several " salvage yards" in Florida...
"Sailor's Exchange in St, Augustine
"Sailorman" in Ft. Lauderdale

Either of these usually has a selection of used davits. Might be worth your while to contact them.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 10:33   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

If you are looking for something semi custom, Atlantic Towers has a good selection. I'm the guy with the $15,000 setup. Mine is designed to carry 3,000 lbs, so probably overkill for most applications. I have seen the Atlantic Towers davit and arches on a few boats and they look good. See their website https://www.atlantictowers.com/
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 10:39   #13

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

As other's noted, Defender sells several types.

One thing to note, some davits, when mounted on the boat, can then be partially disassembled and rotated inward without actually removing them. We used this feature when we went through the Panama Canal. With the davits we are about 51.5' overall. Costs go up dramatically for the Canal if you are over 50' and they are strict about applying the measurement. By rotating the davits we got down to 48' overall.

This might also be handy in some marina situations, or if you have to do a Med tie (stern to pier).

Even if you buy prefab units, there will likely be at least a little custom SS tubing and welding work to do to, depending on the exact configuration of your existing stern rail and hardware.

We also had to mount a new stern nav light on the davits since the existing one got hidden by the dinghy when raised in the davits.

It is possible to bolt solar panels to the davits with some DIY work, or fairly simple welding. A custom solar arch can be thousands more.
Old 23-07-2020, 10:45   #14

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas1983 View Post
Don't forget that conventional davits add to your overall boat length which can get expensive over time in some marinas. For that reason, some people opt for the fold able davits - not as strong, but cheaper on the slip fees.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 10:51   #15

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Depending on how the davits go together, folding isn't necessarily a big strength sacrifice. I've been looking at the Martek setup (as well as Kato and other similar ones). They don't fold in 2 seconds, but once you remove the cross brace they can be folded. So they're still braced for strength and not just free swiveling, but the brace is removable.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, davits