Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2014, 07:58   #16

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Dinghy Engine Max HP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beersmith View Post
does this mean that max HP is a legal requirement too? If the scale says I should have a 3 hp, but I put a 4 hp on there, could I be ticketed or fined???

You can review some of the applicable info here: 33 CFR 183.53 - Horsepower capacity.

Exceeding known (designed) capacity/horsepower limits would seem to put operators at legal risk, especially if an incident were to occur...

-Chris
Old 09-04-2014, 08:10   #17

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
I have a 4 hp Seagull you can have..... IF...
You promise to take video and post it every time you need it to start...
Deal! I will arrange shipping to Bermuda. Seagull racing is Bermuda's premier motor sport event. I've been looking for an engine but the ones here go for a premium.

On another note, i've used that formula before when calculating the max horsepower for a boat i've been building. In reality the weight is more important than the horsepower itself, so while you might only be able to fit a 2hp 4-stroke on her you might get away with a 4hp 2-stroke. IMO if you are anywhere near what the manufacturer's recommend then you are well within the realms of safety. Not sure about laws where you are though. Here there are none regarding capacities. I recently saw a 13-foot whaler (dauntless model) with a souped-up 60 on it, and a friend of mine built an 8-foot stepped-hull beast of a boat out of 1/4" ply and epoxy (total weight of hull, 40lbs) and is currently upgrading it from a 40hp outboard to a 50hp inboard (evinrude e-tec powerhead) with a 25"-pitch prop. Should be fun (and is somehow still legal :-) )
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:18   #18
cruiser

I would not be concerned about being ticketed due to larger than recommended engines. If you are your local vinyl shop could whip up some stickers for $10 bucks or so .
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:32   #19

I posted that calculation, and I think I should add; it may not be relevant to your boat. You have a special case as your boat is a 2 piece design right? You limiting factors may be the strength of the connection of the two halves. As I mentioned earlier I think the real limit is speed. (and weight and weight distribution I suppose) One way to control the speed is to limit HP and that's probably easier for regulations etc. Do you want to plane? If not then just get a small motor, whatever works for your budget and putt around.
I wouldnt give a second thought to if you comply with any standard, if your boat is rated at 3 hp and you use 4 so what. It's done all the time. One can worry too much!
I wonder what those 25 fti Cigarrettes in Florida with teh dual 600 hp engines are rated at..?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:02   #20

Boat: CORBIN 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beersmith View Post
does this mean that max HP is a legal requirement too? If the scale says I should have a 3 hp, but I put a 4 hp on there, could I be ticketed or fined???

just find a sticker somewhere that says 3 HP. that is the only way anyone checks anyway.
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, engine