Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2012, 11:30   #1

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Dinghy Explosion ??

Just wondering I searched adn could not find much info, if a dinghy spends a considerable amount of time in the hot tropical heat, sun etc, the pressures increase as the temps go up. How much is too much can they explode? One of ours is a 11' Avon RAB just wondering what she can handle, its supposed to be inflated to 3.3lbs, but after an hour in the sun goes way beyond that. Do they have a hidden release somewhere or built into the valves?
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 11:37   #2

Re: Dinghy Explosion??

I usually set mine while in the sun... but not a real hot time. Good question... waiting for those who know...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 12:19   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

You probably can't find anything because I doubt it has ever happened. We have been cruising extensively for over 20 years and a good part of that in the Caribbean and south Florida in the summers. Our inflatable always sat in the sun as does most everyone every other one we see. I think if it gets hot enough for a dinghy to explode, most of us will not live long enough to see it. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 12:45   #4

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

I wonder about all the leaky seams on inflatables in the tropics. Do you suppose the glue gets hot and the air pressure rises. Is that what causes the leaks? Pressure can never get high enough for an explosion?
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 12:52   #5

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Mercury hypalon inflatables have pressure relief valves, but their PVC boats don't. Maybe the PVC is able to stretch more??
Old 15-03-2012, 13:03   #6
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm in the know, it's pretty bloody hot in kuwait! I have never seen an inflate dingy explode because of heat. Generally, as mentiioned before, they will fail at the seams and the air will leak out, rather than exploding. Most people inflate stuff at the hottest part of te day anyway, and always under inflate stuff to allow for heat expansion

We regularly see blowouts on the expressway in the summer, tho. With air temps hitting 50+C, the roads get damned hot and tyres suffer at speed!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 16:03   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Heard stories, never seen one explode. Perhaps, if you pump yours up very full, early morning, and leave it in the sun? Especially a black one ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 19:31   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
You probably can't find anything because I doubt it has ever happened. We have been cruising extensively for over 20 years and a good part of that in the Caribbean and south Florida in the summers. Our inflatable always sat in the sun as does most everyone every other one we see. I think if it gets hot enough for a dinghy to explode, most of us will not live long enough to see it. Chuck
+1.

Never seen or even heard of it happening and almost all of my cruising/sailing has been in hot or tropical areas. The internal pressure will certainly go up and down depending upon temp, but no practical risk of explosion. There is probably someone here on CF who can do the math for you to verify this theoretically.

However, a little tropical experience suggestion regarding your fuel tank -- don't close the vent valve -- I've never seen one rupture, but I have seen them so over-pressured that they were almost spherical. This also starts forcing fuel out of the fittings -- not only a mess, but a real potential risk with gas. Cut off a small plastic bottle and drop it over the cap to keep out the rain.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 21:43   #9

Hi .
I work with all types of inflatable boats , I would highly recommend fitting pressure relief valves to the collar . You will never have to worry about your inflatable collar exploding "it happens a lot "
Cambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 09:45   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Dinghy Explosion ??

I blew up a dink with the footpump, once. Literally, one stroke too many and BOOM the seam blew out and the whole thing collapsed. I don't remember what brand or kind it was, just "a gray one" and you would think, usually the hose nozzle blows back out of the plug before anything else does.

Old glued seams just aren't to be trusted.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 11:16   #11

Re: Dinghy Explosion ??

Under inflation kills a dinghy faster. The flexing wears out the seams and the material. Especially flexing at the transom of a powered dinghy.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy