Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2016, 15:53   #16

Re: Dinghy Material

Hypalon is obviously better. But if you can buy a quality PVC unit and protect it , it may go a long time. Not sure how long. Covers would help if using in the tropics.
I had one of those bright blue Achilles Hypalon dingys until 2 years ago. It was fine and was built in the 80's I believe. So 25 years old and holding air all winter.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:29   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

Well I got a PVC dinghy made of a German PVC (most builders don't tell you who made the material or its' specs) that is used in big inflatables and life rafts etc. and manufactured in Korea (guess that is better labor than China, which the manufacturing is moving to next year). With some research it looks than the good quality PVC is almost as good as the hypalon (hypalon doesn't exist anymore as that was a brand name and the manufacturer stopped making it). I got from a local small importer that has the units made to their specs and sells direct only, so there was a price savings (a pretty big one and I think better quality).

In researching I also found that there are more problems with the fittings on the dinghies than the hulls, so material isn't as important as it sounds. Turns out most "hypalon" dinghies still use PVC fittings, which is way the hull might be warranted for 5 years but the fittings only 2. When I asked about the fittings on the hypalon units I got told I was the first person to ever ask that in 10 years (they used hypalon fittings on the hypalon hulls, but since the fittings only had a 2 year warranty).

In the end a high quality hypalon was twice the cost of a high quality PVC so the PVC was I feel the better short and long term value.

If anyone in the future chasing the same question and finds this thread in research I'm posting link for where I got mine:

Coastal Inflatable Boats
Old 11-09-2016, 13:42   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, there, sb1,

That sounds an eminently reasonable decision. I wish you good endurance from your new dinghy, and many pleasurable jaunts with it.

Have you plans for chaps for it?

Ann
Old 11-09-2016, 14:13   #19

My last hypalon began coming apart... the material itself was fine... I think the manufacture... glueing and so forth caused me to replace it... 7 years...

I decided that I would go for pvc... got a Highfield C310 and it's a great boat. I am not expecting more than 6 years in seasonal use in LIS. It was $1,000 less than the Hypalon.

So how does the PVC material degrade? Hypalon? Or is it the seams and manufacturing that is the main factor?
We'll see.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 14:19   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

UV is much harder on pvc, much...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 15:18   #21

Boat: a sailing boat

I found Hypalon material stronger.

However, plenty of mid-life crisis comes from the glues.

Option 1: get a PVC, WELDED, dinghy.
Option 2: get a Hypalon dinghy.

In each case, avoid storing it upside down IN THE SUN.

Our 10 y.o. Bombard was 'like new' everywhere ... except where it was glued (this is the bottom to tubes joint on old Bombards.

Look for overall construction quality, this IS worth paying for.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 04:36   #22

Boat: no boat any more

my reasoning:
hypalon dingi: so expensive I would definitely have a cover - & with a cover pvc is going to last nearly as long (& is 30-40% cheaper)
double u is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy