Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2016, 06:06   #31

Re: Dinghy repair advice needed

Being that the whole boat is coming apart it is not worth fixing. Many of the glued PVC boats made are done so using subpar materials that fail over time. Luckily yours lasted 9 years. Many owners do not get that much time out of them.
The correct way to fix a PVC inflatable is with a good two part PVC adhesive designed for inflatables. Not a adhesive from a hardware store or a polyurethane adhesive either. MEK is the correct prep solvent for fixing a PVC inflatable, it opens the pores of the material so that the adhesive really gets some bite and create a strong bond.
Hypalon boats are better suited to a "southern" climate or areas closer to the equator with higher year round temps and stronger UV rays. I've had many PVC boats last twenty years but they were well taken care of and used up here in New England where the season is shorter and the UV is not as internse.

Happy Boating,
Chris
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 12:04   #32

Boat: Scout 30

WEST MARINE PRU-3 Performance Roll-Up Inflatable Boat | West Marine
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 12:07   #33
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ok in reality those i have known with pvc dinghies having seam fail were forced to purchase new dinks as the old one doesnt repair. i watch as folk s continue to attempt repairs and continuously ask how, when they are actually not repairable with good results.
save duckets and buy another dink.
best of luck.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 12:14   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Note that whilst that is a cheap PVC dinghy it's a glued seam type. Personally I'd go for welded PVC as they have a lower failure rate
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 12:31   #35

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Note that whilst that is a cheap PVC dinghy it's a glued seam type. Personally I'd go for welded PVC as they have a lower failure rate
I agree it's a cheap dinghy. In fact I think it's about the cheapest functional inflatable you're gonna find. Personally, I'd only recommend a hypalon inflatable but if you're short on cash & need one now this appears to be a pretty good deal.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 13:38   #36

Boat: Tanzer,1976,26'

It was damaged beyond repair, I'll use it as a pattern and make a new one out of black coy pond cloth. Wish me luck!
Ericsstinnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 13:54   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericsstinnett View Post
It was damaged beyond repair, I'll use it as a pattern and make a new one out of black coy pond cloth. Wish me luck!
Good luck! Hope you will do a post on your project. You are going to have a hot arse with a black dinghy & it will have to be some glue to hang on if you leave the dinghy out in the sun.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 13:56   #38

The best PVC glue is Cliftons UR1087 from

https://www.jpwinc.com/

Call them and talk to them. Jacks Plastic Welding

You will get about two years before you will be making more repairs.
neworleansrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 17:44   #39

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The earliest inflatable boat I know of was used in the Lewis & Clark expedition during the 1800's. It leaked air.

I think trying to make your own dinghy is an interesting project. Some of the problems you'll have to solve will be related to the stretchiness of the plastic you've selected. Other issues to be aware of that come to mind are how are you going to fit the valves? how attatch the tubes to the transom? will it have an inflatable keel? floorboards? how create the seams to be air tight? (Most glues don't last well for below the waterline.)

Honestly, in your shoes, unless you just want to make the experiment, I'd be looking for a tide-me-over 2nd hand dinghy. But check to see it holds air before buying it.

Ann

Tags
dinghy