Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2020, 21:47   #16

Boat: Island Packet 349
Re: Dingy hardbottom or rollup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris777 View Post
Thank you everyone for the replies.... I guess I have the best already. The 9' highfield stowes relatively easy on the foredeck for passages and on the davits when staitionary.

Thanks,

Chris
I would not replace a rib with a roll-up unless there was a specific need to keep it below deck or transport in a car.
Myself, I was debating an aluminum rib, which is a local favorite for landing on rugged beaches, versus a high pressure floor model. Since the plans are to go long distance the next or the following year with significant high latitude sailing, high pressure floor won. Will be picking it up next Saturday along with a 6 HP Tohatsu. It will be kept on the davits for local cruising, and stored below on passages. I do not like the idea of keeping an inflatable on deck. Too much trouble handling it, and almost no benefits compared to keeping it on the davits.
I had a high pressure floor model before. It was quite comfortable in a moderate chop and still could plane with a 15 HP Yamaha at half throttle carrying me and two children in up to 3-4 foot waves. (When the children grew up, it could no longer plane in 3 foot waves, but still did in a relatively calm water.)
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 00:16   #17

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Can't do that with a RIB. A RIB will plane a little easier, but for the lack of convenience, there is for us no question.
If you stow a roll in in a bag up on the foredeck, I would bet that a folding transom RIB would give you a lower profile to see over.

Love my Achilles folding transom RIB lite. It actually nest perfectly on my hard sailing dink up on the foredeck. My 36 ft boat carries 2 dinks.... because I can. But if the folding transom were the only one, the low profile is nice.
Old 02-02-2020, 17:10   #18

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
If you stow a roll in in a bag up on the foredeck, I would bet that a folding transom RIB would give you a lower profile to see over.

Love my Achilles folding transom RIB lite. It actually nest perfectly on my hard sailing dink up on the foredeck. My 36 ft boat carries 2 dinks.... because I can. But if the folding transom were the only one, the low profile is nice.
It packs down to around 25-30cm high. It lashes down in front of the dodger. Sitting in our cockpit we are at least head and shoulders above it. Would rather a totally clear deck, but a transom garage is the answer to that, and that is bigger than we have.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote