Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 15:53   #16

Re: Electric Dinghy Outboard - Torqeedo 1003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtothesea View Post
In six years of full-time coastal cruising in FL, GA and SC we seldom encounter winds over 25 or 30 mph for any significant sustained period. In thunderstorms, of course, up to 60 mph! But I am NOT going to go out in the dinghy during a thunderstorm, I will wait for it to pass!

If there is any doubt or really high wind/waves I stay aboard on anchor watch! If ashore I would wait for the highest winds to pass before killing myself to get back to the boat. Has never been an issue. While I might get caught out offshore in bad weather I don't see being caught by surprise during a short dinghy ride.

Depends on where you are, I guess. In Florida we don't have significant currents in many places and weather is fairly predictable. During a frontal passage wind might exceed 25 mph for awhile but we know it is coming and plan accordingly. If you have a job or a dog that needs to get ashore, then a big deflatable and infernal combustion outboard would be needed and forget the electric motor. We are retired and don't have to risk our lives in a teeny tiny plastic dinghy like our Walker Bay 8 (which we love) to get ashore or home from a job. We stay aboard and wait for conditions to improve. ;-)
Thanks for that; was honestly interested in your opinion.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 16:01   #17

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

concerning the Torqeedo.......... Checked into them awhile back and unless they have changed, the battery is sealed, and the charging is from a 110 outlet.. when I mentioned we were cruising and would like to adapt in a 12 volt (or 24) charge to the battery.. I was told it was NOT doable as the unit was sealed and any modificvations would void any warenty..\
Odd that they would build an electric motor for cruising to be charged from a 110 outlet only.........and not from any other sorce..
sorry but I dont have 110 on our boat once we leave the dock
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 17:42   #18

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I am also interested in only using the 8 hp Honda four stroke if absolutely necessary. I am considering a Torqueedo because it is much lighter. Even using the winch and arm system to mount the outboard on the dinghy, I am finding this chore is getting more and more difficult. As a senior everything else on the boat is now senior friendly except getting the outboard on the dinghy.
Old 03-12-2011, 18:16   #19

I did not use my Honda BP2 Four stroke at all this season. The last time I did use it was in September 2010. When it finally dies I might look at the Torqueedo but, it is kind of expensive for my needs as I tend to row my eight foot Porta Boat most of the time. I might actually try the Electric Paddle:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: ELECTRIC PADDLE
Not as powerful but, not as expensive as a Torqueedo but, might be just the thing I need to assist me when rowing in adverse conditions to and from the dock.

On the other hand if you'd like to try and get started with electric propulsion and carry a battery operated electric drill on board you might be able to build your own electric outboard pretty cheap:
http://biankablog.blogspot.com/2011/...-outboard.html
If you like to tinker you could experiment with different prop sizes and pitches. best of all you can get the parts at just about any hardware store when they wear out.
Old 10-01-2012, 14:22   #20

I used a Torqeedo 1003 as the primary propulsion for my 15' sail boat. I've owned it for a year and have been very happy. Range, power, etc pretty much as advertised.

Unfortunately, my wife made me get a bigger boat because she wants our family to get into phrf racing. I'm going to need a bigger outboard for when it is my job to set race marks...

Therefore my one year old Torqeedo is for sale. part number 455354 on defender.com. I'd sell it for 1/2 the price of new... $900 + shipping.
iowagary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 09:07   #21

I'm interested. Where are you shipping from? I am in Wisconsin, USA. Zip 53578
bputney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 14:30   #22

Boat: Bristol 38.8

I had a Torqeedo (older model). Expensive mistake. Sold it, bought a Honda 2hp ( 4 stroke) for my Avon. The Honda is half the price, goes forever on a tank of gas and weighs 28 lbs.

I love the concept, but electric outboards are not ready for prime time.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 07:16   #23

What was your primary concern with it, was it the range, power, or other?
bputney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 07:19   #24

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bputney View Post
What was your primary concern with it, was it the range, power, or other?
The battery life was just too short and the battery was a PITA to charge.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 13:30   #25

I currently have a torqueedo travel 1003 as dinghy motor it works fine for quick up and back travel from boat to beach or dock but wouldnt recomend if you plan on long runs if less than 5 miles a day its great on one charge but more might be paddling and the solar charger works very slow but on up side if you travel at about two knots with solar charger you can go forever if suns out.

I do have one question does any one know if there is a dealer that sells these motors in the bvis or st thomas as i need a new battery?
1rkghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 14:32   #26

Boat: Fastback 32 cat.

Spare batteries for the 1003 are $795 for 320 watt hour or $945 for 520 w.h. in Australia.
Ian
Ian R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 14:48   #27

Boat: Fastback 32 cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rkghost View Post
I currently have a torqueedo travel 1003 as dinghy motor it works fine for quick up and back travel from boat to beach or dock but wouldnt recomend if you plan on long runs if less than 5 miles a day its great on one charge but more might be paddling and the solar charger works very slow but on up side if you travel at about two knots with solar charger you can go forever if suns out.

I do have one question does any one know if there is a dealer that sells these motors in the bvis or st thomas as i need a new battery?
Is your battery dead(how old is it) or is new battery for a spare ?
Ian.
Ian R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 17:58   #28

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

Hi Iowagary

Is your motor still for sale?

jim den hartog
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 21:07   #29

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 45

I just bought one from Goodtime at the Gabba.

On the question of the 12v recharge, I am getting my electrician to make a 12v cable as one is not available as an accessory. But the 110-240v charger has an output voltage of 12v DC so it is just a matter of making up a cable which plugs in.
gregrluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 14:18   #30

Boat: Tung Hwa Fantasia 35

we had only used out torqeedo 1003 in very light wind and no currents and it had good range and speed for what it is.

this past weekend we anchored behind christmas (wisteria) island by key west. from the boat to the historic sea port dingy dock was 1.1 nautical mile.

Zodiac C260 Airlite air floor dingy
three persons aboard (425 lbs)
8-10 knots head wind
2-3 knot cross current in the main ship channel was taking us
down of our destination and we ended up having to fight
current to get into the dock.

it took us 80% of the battery to go this one mile at a speed of about 1 knot or less.

we called boat US to get us back to the boat. no charge with our
membership.

I am considering buying another battery but its about 500.00
or perhaps there is another external battery solution so
we have more range, it was night time so solar would not have helped.

or if I was rowing to help it along we may have made it with only 50% battery used. and with the wind behind us on the way back
we would not have needed to row on the way back.

going to shore was optional, we could have just stayed aboard.
next time we'll anchor where we don't have to cross the main
ship channel's current or just stay aboard, or row to help the battery.

I also very much dislike carrying gasoling on board and heavy outbards so we'll try every option to make this work for us in as many situations as possible.

a little rowing is a good thing....

I love how light it is and being able to take the motor apart and store it under the floor in the boat.

and if anyone has a set up for an external battery please let me know.

Thanks.
capjules is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard