Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2009, 03:49   #1

Boat: none(fornow)
Electric Motor on a Dinghy

I am not sure how long one might last. My inflatable has the option to install a Sevylor sbm electric type trolling motor but not a standard outboard. I know that electrical things and sea water generally are not a good mix. Has anyone used an electric before and how did it work out? How long did it last? After rowing out to the boat a few times in the last week, I have decided I don't like rowing.
kcmarcet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2009, 03:58   #2

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
We used a minkota 55 lb thrust electric to get out to our dinghy in the CT river, we had it on a 10 foot Zodiac. We had two batteries, one stayed on charge in the boat (we have solar panels). It was designed for salt water and worked great. Although we did have a couple of occasions were the tide, wind and current were all in harmony and we almost did not make it back to the boat. That is when we decided to buy a 3.5 Hp outboard. If you are in an area that is better protected it may work for you. We loved it, quiet, no gas, always started. It would last for days but just to stay on top of the charge I generally changed everyday even though it did not need it. I was less than $300 dollars at Walmart.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2009, 09:56   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
MinnKota has a saltwater version and they are quite good. You might do a search for electric outboard on the link just after my signature.
regards,
Old 22-11-2009, 10:05   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
I had two friends that tried out the torqeedos (sp) because of the light weight, the ability to fold and store and of course no fuel to store. But both returned them and bought small 4/strokes. There was enough power for short juants and light currents but just not enough staying power if you are going to really rely on your dingy as means of exploring as well as back and forth to the dock.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2009, 10:16   #5

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
Seen one used ...

We've really fancied one of these, so interesting about the torqueeda grunt. We saw an electric motor (don't know the make) being used in the Med last year on a hardchine dinghy big enough for a family, with solar panels on the transom and thwarts. Worked a treat and the (French) family swore by it.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2009, 10:26   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaring Girl View Post
We've really fancied one of these, so interesting about the torqueeda grunt. We saw an electric motor (don't know the make) being used in the Med last year on a hardchine dinghy big enough for a family, with solar panels on the transom and thwarts. Worked a treat and the (French) family swore by it.

I guess it's what your intents are for your dingy. I use my RIB dingy a lot, if you ever saw it you'd agree it has seen a lot of use. I anchor out pretty much all the time and I like to go explore, fish, and dive along with the usual duties most folks use a dingy for. I personally just can't believe an economical electric outboard can meet those demands. If all you ever do is go back and forth to the dock then an electric might fit the bill great.
Old 22-11-2009, 10:44   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

If interested this is their site. The speed in knts, range in nm, run time in hours and battery capacity is interesting and should be considered. The ones my two friends had was the "Travel" Not very impressive in my personal opinion. You can add a ton of batteries to extend the run time and add to your boat the required capabilities to recharge the batteries. But I think you defeat the light weight purpose and far exceed the cost effectiveness over a small 4/stroke

http://www.torqeedo.com/us/hn/home.html
Old 23-11-2009, 19:46   #8

Boat: Spindrift 43 SV Falkor
I used a 36 lb thrust 12v motor on our 8.5 ft inflatable, It was a long ride in and out on flat water with very little wind. The second time I ran a 2nd battery in parallel that was discharged so I had about 19 volts to the motor worked a little better but the discharegd battery only lasted 1/4 of the way.
People were sitting on the dock laughing at my lack of progress.
I wouldnt want to rely on that thing to get me in to shore or out to the boat in anything but ideal conditions. Maybe a bigger one, but I would want at least 70 lbs of thrust judging by how little thrust 36 is.
b-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 22:32   #9

Boat: 880 waller catamaran
I looked at the electric motor vs outboard motor, they are light weight but, the battery can weight up to 50 lbs, as for time of charge, its just not that easy to tell like a gas tank. the power was on the low end as a matter of fact I could row faster that the other people using the electric to get out to their boat, really!
so I bought a yamaha 4hp / 4 stroke , I now have a plan C for moving the mother ship, motor konks out, no problem just sail, no wind, no problem tie the dink along side and move her along with the dink and outboard.
the motor weights 47lbs. ifs that too heavy get a 2hp there about 30 to 35 lbs still lighter than the typ battery.
Polunu880 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric motor