Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2011, 11:17   #1

Boat: Chris Craft Constellation 55', TARA, Holman and Pye, 46' custom cutter, Me Voy
Electric Trolling Motor on Dinghy

Just wondering if anyone has any experience using a 45/55 lbs electric motor
or their dinghy. We have an 8ft dinghy that we are tempted to power with a Minnkota and would love to know how and if this has worked our for anyone else.
DogOnBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 11:20   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: electric trolling motor on dinghy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogOnBoat View Post
Just wondering if anyone has any experience using a 45/55 lbs electric motor
or their dinghy. We have an 8ft dinghy that we are tempted to power with a Minnkota and would love to know how and if this has worked our for anyone else.

All depends on your crusing grounds. Personally a 10hp is the miniumum. Electric motors are usually quickly traded in for more power the first stiff current folks run into.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 08:16   #3

Boat: Prout Quest 31
Re: Electric Trolling Motor on Dinghy

Im using a 55lb thrust trolling motor with small 12V deep cycle battery found on those scooters for seniors. It lasts about a half hour, more than enough for my needs so far. And there are always the oars... the motor and battery are much less weight and hassle than a gas motor. But I agree about the strong current problem - its defiintely underpowered.
jvolpehoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 08:48   #4

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

We use a Minn Kota Riptide 45 / T 36”
45 lbs thrust, 36” shaft, cost $299

We have it mounted on our 10 foot work skiff. It works well for going back and forth to a mooring and its maintenance free and whisper quiet.

We use a Greenworks GCH8040 80V Lithium-Ion Battery.
That we also use on our electric lawn mower.
Battery will fully charge in 30 to 45 minutes.
It has a 80V to 12V DC to DC Voltage Step Down Converter that we purchased on e-bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Minn Kota Riptide 45 T 36.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	143856   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1150029.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	403.6 KB
ID:	143857  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 05:15   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
We use a Minn Kota Riptide 45 / T 36”
45 lbs thrust, 36” shaft, cost $299

We have it mounted on our 10 foot work skiff. It works well for going back and forth to a mooring and its maintenance free and whisper quiet.

We use a Greenworks GCH8040 80V Lithium-Ion Battery.
That we also use on our electric lawn mower.
Battery will fully charge in 30 to 45 minutes.
It has a 80V to 12V DC to DC Voltage Step Down Converter that we purchased on e-bay.

Could that battery (or similar batteries) be configured for some kind of "small footprint" solar charging? Looks like a nicely small size; how much does it weigh?

Hadn't known about step-down converters; are there options to move from 80V to something like 24V or 36V for use with some of the larger Minn-Kota (or other) electric drives?

I've been thinking about an electric back-up motor for our long distance canoe... Mostly for occasional thrust in counter currents or when going upstream, etc... but also for lazy days when I just don't feel like paddling my shoulders off.

-Chris
Old 25-03-2017, 08:55   #6

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Have used my Minn Kota 40# thrust on my 9.6 ft. air floor inflatable for the last few years going up/down northeast coast.
For protected anchorages/waters, slow go but beats rowing, actually faster. Is fine if you have no great expectations of speed.
I use as am limited with space/weight on my smallish 30 fter and prefer not to carry gas on board.
Use small/lighter 35ah battery for short and larger/heavier gp 24 deep cycle for long (which also connects to my house bank for extra amps and charging (motor/solar.)
Thought could be problem keeping batteries charged as i am at a mooring and then at anchor but seems to be working out, have used for a few years.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 11:36   #7

I worked for a city lake and rented Jon boats with trolling motors. If you do go this route. Stick with minn Kota. So so much easier to get parts for than motorguide. But that being said. They do break down just like anything else. Also batteries that will get you Amy distance are expensive and heavy. Many times heavier than a small 2 stroke outboard.

I have a lot of experience with trolling motors on the front of my past fishing boats and with work. For a dingy. Go gas, for a smaller sailboat a dingy can tow you back to the dock if need be.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, electric motor, motor