Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2020, 09:34   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Emergency rudder/Windvane vs ladder?

Whose regulations?

If the wind vane was mounted so that the blade can be lifted up, Port side I think for a Pacific, then the ladder goes on the starboard side at the same height as now with a rope tail to pull it down if necessary, though ours can be reached from someone in the water without problem.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 09:50   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Whose regulations?

If the wind vane was mounted so that the blade can be lifted up, Port side I think for a Pacific, then the ladder goes on the starboard side at the same height as now with a rope tail to pull it down if necessary, though ours can be reached from someone in the water without problem.
That’s from the EU small craft directive

It’s a very good , very seamanlike regulation

Remember ...many people die each year by falling overboard ....at anchor ...and not being able to reboard
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 10:04   #18

Boat: Amel Sharki #68 of 1982, 39 feet

Quote:
Whose regulations?

In the case of the Pacific Light, yes, the blade is lifted on the port side, but it does not interfere with the swimming ladder, fixed on the port side of the transom

Tried to attach a couple of photos of the transom of my boat but failed :-(
africanmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 10:30   #19

I would check out a suitable Windpilot model.
Great system with an emergency rudder as an optional extra.
Sojourn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 10:35   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
That’s from the EU small craft directive

It’s a very good , very seamanlike regulation

Remember ...many people die each year by falling overboard ....at anchor ...and not being able to reboard
You mean the Recreational Craft Directive, currently version 2.

If a centre ladder will work, why won't the same ladder on the starboard side of the transom work?
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 11:07   #21

Quote:
You mean the Recreational Craft Directive, currently version 2.

If a centre ladder will work, why won't the same ladder on the starboard side of the transom work?
Gee..I don’t know what the pilot mounting geometry looks like and I don’t know what the boarding ladder geometry looks like

In the end the pilot must function correctly and the boarding ladder must function correctly
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 12:01   #22

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW: when I built a home designed aux rudder w/trim tab wind vane for our previous cruising boat I simply put steps on the rudder blade which made a usable boarding ladder. Is there no way to use the beefy structure of a prospective vane in your case?

If not, a side mounted boarding ladder can be designed, and in fact for boarding in chopy seas, a ladder near the shrouds will be less affected by pitching, and the shrouds make good handholds whilst climbing.

Finally, ladders are relatively easy to mount and to move, compared to wind vanes. So, it makes sense to me to mount the vane properly on center and fool around with the ladder, not the other way around.

Jim
Old 28-01-2020, 13:02   #23

Boat: SS34

Not sure why there is all this guff about emergency rudders. How many failures are there? Buy or build the best windvane self steering gear and mount it central. The windvane will be used most, sometimes non stop for up to 9 months at a time.
Mount the ladder on the port side on the stern if your right handed. I'm fortunate enough to have an Aries mounted central and there is a step on the stern behind it. I can board the boat from the water using the windvanes oar or the top edge of the rudder blade. One of these days I will install a rope with a foot loop that reaches down about 300mm under the waterline so I can get the first leg up. Have it rolled up and stored on the side of the windvane with a bit of velcro.
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 13:39   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Don't have a ladder on the stern, use the WindPilot Pacific Plus as the boarding ladder. Not as easy to use as a ladder but have no problems getting back on board.

Monitor advertises using their vane with an additional rudder blade attachment as an emergency rudder. I had the attachment for my Monitor but it really looked mickey mouse and the vane didn't seem sturdy enough to support the set up as a rudder. It apparently is enough to satisfy the Single Handed Sailing Society's requirements for an emergency rudder.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 15:05   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_gal View Post
I believe the Monitor now makes a vane that hinges, so you can use the ladder. But I installed a Hydrovane on my boat, just enough off -center so I can use the stern boarding ladder. Not a problem.
Correct, they call it swing gate. Not really an option when looking at affordable 2nd hand options though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
FWIW: when I built a home designed aux rudder w/trim tab wind vane for our previous cruising boat I simply put steps on the rudder blade which made a usable boarding ladder. Is there no way to use the beefy structure of a prospective vane in your case?
Jim
That's an option indeed. Looking at the Monitors, even the older ones, their mounting seems more robust than my ladder. However, I would not step on the rudder, better add an extension to the mount.
Old 28-01-2020, 16:07   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Removing the ladder is not completely off the table but I'd keep it if I can.
Others may weigh in, but a stern boarding ladder has a lot of vertical movement if you are using it to get out of the water. I think a midship ladder is better. Shorter climb, less movement.

If you need to assist someone out of the water, a sling off of the boom can move above a midship ladder. That way the victim/impared can help if they are conscious.

A Monitor Windvane provides a good bit of structure if you are just climbing out of the dingy onto the stern.

I'd move the ladder.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 17:32   #27

I wouldn't let my boat leave the dock without the ladder on the swim platform. Why not just add a back up auto pilot & forget the wind vane? I carry a small drogue in the event I need some kind of steering...works in a blow as well.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 03:03   #28

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord 12.3m

I have a 41’ westerly oceanlord with a center mounted boarding ladder. I fitted a Hydrovane 12” off-center and it steers perfectly when heeled on port or starboard tack. The Hydrovane’s rudder is very deep and only marginally shorter than the Oceanlord’s balanced rudder.
Old 29-01-2020, 03:35   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
Out of interest Jim do you have any pics of that set-up? Seems like a great idea, and the steps sound similar to the external adaptations they used to do on faster multihulls with transom mounted rudders to reduce an apparent tendency to suck air down at speed and stall the rudder.
Did you think it was a success, or anything you would change (I gather you haven't done the same for your current boat)?
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 07:33   #30

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn2 View Post
I would check out a suitable Windpilot model.
Great system with an emergency rudder as an optional extra.
Yes, peters got a great product.
I just sold mine to a fellow in FL.
Wouldn't be mounting it very soon.
By the way check his prices.
They've changed little in 7 or 8 yrs.
Highly recommended Self Steering Gear.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency, enc, grass, rudder, wind, windvane