Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2018, 11:21   #1

ePropulsion Spirit electric motor

Wondering if anyone has any experience or comments on the ePropulsion Spirit 1.0 electric dinghy motor? I had a chance to demo one yesterday, on a 12 ft inflatable dinghy. It seemed to perform decently, getting up to I think 3 or 4 knots, with no current or wind to fight. It will never get the boat to plane, but supposedly will last 1 hr at full throttle, more if you just putt along. It is supposed to be equivalent to a 3 hp gas motor. I don't like giving up the power of an outboard, but dang the savings in weight, gas engine problems, noise, pollution seem worth it. I'd prefer to have the next model up (6 hp equivalent), but it requires a honking big battery that costs like $3000 (just for the battery) which weighs 65 lbs, so no weight savings (the Spirit is 49 lb including battery). Thoughts?
jmckay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 17:05   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: ePropulsion Spirit electric motor

From their website:

"The 1KW Lithium-ion battery". If they don't know that batteries are measured in KWh, not KW, I'd put little faith in anything else their marketdroids have written.

"one battery works for up to 1 hour" - the classic "up to" which actually means " generally a lot less than".

"And without gearbox, this electric outboard motor will greatly lower - even eliminate noise " -
how much noise does a gearbox make?

And yet again we have the "magic electric Horsepower" from an EP vendor.

"Propulsive power - 500W"
"Comparative gasoline engine propulsive power" - 3HP

I guess it depends on how you define "comparative". It certainly doesn't mean "the same as"or to use your phrase "equivalent".
500W = 0.67HP, regardless of the energy source.Generally they mean that the "static thrust" or "bollard pull" (at 0 knots) is about the same as a gas outboard of the same size. But you don't use an outboard driven dinghy as a tug
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 17:30   #3

Boat: Colegate 26

I spent quite a bit of time pouring over the numbers on the e-Propulsion offerings and they do seem to be the best bang for the buck. But I wouldn't have less than the 6kW model with TWO batteries and then you're looking at $10K and a lot of weight.

Really what I'd like is the Torqeedo 10kW but they don't sell a tiller model. Also it's crazy expensive, and would need a ludicrous amount of batteries to make it useful.

Maybe in another 5 years of development.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2024, 00:32   #4

Had a plus short shaft for half a year now, when picking one know the short is longer than a normal short as far as I understood.

Use it on a 2.7m aluminium RIB of around 50kg, will do 4 knots on full for around 50mins and 3 ish on half power, for around 3 hours. All with no current and a bit of wind, in 20 knots of wind you need full to really advance but never had the feeling it isn't powerful enough.

I like it a lot as light in 2 parts and hassle free but know charging takes a lot of power, empty to full is around 100ah I believe so 50ah per charge is realistic and is ideally done on 220v, 170w, the optional 12v charger is rather slow, 12h for 80% I think.

Issues: not really but I see some corrosion on the battery to engine connector that I can't completely remove and now twice it turned off while running, will see what happens.
Questions?
Pieter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2024, 03:41   #5

Boat: Dufour 365 Grand Large

I have one as well. Happy to get rid of the 2.5DF Suzuki which my wife found hard/impossible to start. Also happy to get rid of the hassle of sourcing gas.

We push a 2.4m inflatable with it. We use it for hopping from anchorage to shore. Pretty much light duty and nice weather. Works great, takes forever to charge on the optional solar panel as far as I can tell (haven't actually waited forever yet).

I like the quiet nature of the electric. While in total heavier than the Suzuki, the battery and motor are seperable with each part weighing less than the Suzuki. Haven't had and issues yet, but I always keep a pair of oars in the dingy...
Sailer_Med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2024, 04:17   #6

Boat: Tartan 4400

We have used the spirit 1.0 plus for two seasons. When you add up the pros and cons, the electric works much better for us than our previous 6hp 4 stroke. You don’t get anywhere fast, but you get there with almost no noise or smell.

We use it on a 9’ RIB and usually go around 3 knots. I think your comment about an hour at full throttle is a stretch, but we can go almost 5 hours at 3 knots.

This allowed us to get rid of all gas on the boat as well as all of the other things you need to take care of a gas engine.
dksail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2024, 18:34   #7

I have one and as others said, it performs reasonably well. That said, if I were buying one today it would undoubtedly be the new Torqueedo 1.6kW version. The ePropulsion is 1kW for comparison. Torqueedo also has a 12v kit you can wire to your battery/house electrical system to charge without firing up the inverter, with the associated efficiency losses that accompany it.
silvercreek is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electric motor, motor, propulsion