Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2024, 13:25   #1

Boat: Beneteau 473
Exhaust raw water separator

My 5.5kw generator has not been started for years. Had a mechanic do some maintenance and a new starter battery.

I have an exhaust system that separates the raw water from the exhaust so that the water gets expelled underwater instead of splashing out of the exhaust and disturbing others with that noise while at anchor.

When I first started the genset, it was spiting out water in the diesel exhaust as much as my engine does. On the second maintenance starting, it still spits out water, but not a large volume.

Will this problem of water not getting separated rectify itself if I continue using the genset? Will this problem cause any other damage if I continue to run?

When I ran it, the temperature was 150F after 25 minutes. When I put a load of two air conditioners on it, the temp did get to 190F.

I've attached pictures of the first unit that receives the total exhaust and it sends it to the second unit where it apparently separates the water and the fumes.

This setup came with the boat, so I have no documentation on these items.

Thanks for your help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	First separator.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	440.3 KB
ID:	290541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Second Separator.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	426.4 KB
ID:	290542  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	290543  
Seas The Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 15:03   #2

Boat: Hunter 340
Re: Exhaust raw water separator

Silly question but the water drain seacock is open right?

Gas water seperators are pretty simple devices so not sure what would be causing water to backup into the exhaust other than seacock is closed or drain line is clogged.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 16:05   #3

The answers to your questions aren’t that easy to formulate and having installed and worked with these separators, there are two basic answers 1. A lot can go wrong and your engine could be damaged. 2. Nothing is terribly wrong and no damage is likely. If the splitter was installed because the amount of raw water in the exhaust hose was too much for a conventional aqualock to contain at shutdown and for some reason the splitter drain gets restricted or blocked, the drainback ( that water the splitter was installed to unload before the long run to the transom) could flood the aqualock and possibly the exhaust manifold.
However, if the splitter was only installed to eliminate the irregular splashing of the cooling water into the ocean ….that disturbs the sleep of the guests…. Its not a destructive situation, just irritating, the system should function perfectly well with the drain blocked or fully open.
Your system might not be separating well enough if the outlet has a blockage like barnacles or a resident fish/crab/octopus.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 11:01   #4

Boat: Beneteau 473

The through hole is open, but it could be somewhat clogged with barnacles. I'm not going to dive the boat, because there is a know crock in these waters. I'll let the professional make sure it is open when he dives it next.

Thanks for the responses
Seas The Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 14:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seas The Moment View Post
The through hole is open, but it could be somewhat clogged with barnacles. I'm not going to dive the boat, because there is a know crock in these waters. I'll let the professional make sure it is open when he dives it next.

Thanks for the responses
Usually the separator is vertically above the thru hull and higher than the water level so its sometimes possible to take off the drain hose and poke a broom handle down the hose, through the open seacock and skin fitting. If its blocked anywhere along that exit line you’ll be able to confirm and rectify…. Or discard the blocked line theory.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, raw water, water