Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2024, 04:25   #1

Boat: Hudson Force 50, 51'
feedback on fuel injected outboard

Im looking for some feedback on the mercury (or any) fuel injected outboards for the dingy. im currently looking at the mercury 15hp efi model. im very familar with working on carbs, but Ive never owned or used an outboard with fuel injection. any issues with cruising such as parts, loss of reliability with all the electronics, more sensitive equipment?
thanks guys.
captianjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 08:27   #2

Boat: Manta 42 Mk IV Catamaran
Re: feedback on fuel injected outboard

I had a mercury 15hp 2 stroke, I replaced it with a 25hp Suzuki EFI 4 stroke 5 years ago and love it. The Suzuki EFI 4 stroke burns half the fuel of the 2 stroke. The only maintenance is change the oil, sparkplugs, and filters.
One "bad" thing is it has a 2 micron fuel filter that gets clogged easily so I recommend an inline fuel filter.
Avionics_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 12:43   #3

Boat: R&C Leopard 40
Re: feedback on fuel injected outboard

Suzuki has had battery-less FI on 9.9, 15, & 20HP for over a decade. Search the forum for a lot of feedback on this and competing models.

Two ways of looking at it: Easier to work on but needs to be worked on more often OR rarely breaks but when it does it will be more trouble.

We had an Enduro 15 and swapped to a Suzuki 20 FI. No regrets so far. Half the noise and fuel burn. Weighs more and is definitely more complex.

I prefer a carb free lifestyle.

Tags
fuel, outboard