Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2008, 00:02   #16

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler
i used to read this forum which had a lot of interesting info from folk who were building stitch-and-glue dinghys (espec of the nesting variety)

there was some really great workmanship on display

B & B Yachts Forum

B & B Yacht Designs
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 06:29   #17

Boat: Islander, MK II, 30' Sloop
Greetings Bob Sadler; Speaking of nesting dinghys, why don't some of the mfr's or cruiser individuals make a 2 part nesting dinghy, that conforms to the forward part of the cabin, so that it almost disappears. I had this idea years ago but it only went as far as few rough notes on scratch paper. What I envision for a proto type is: (1.) a rubber-plastic sheet spread out and taped down over the forward cabin area, (2.) Fiber glass clothe and resin set down to about 3 or so layers, (just rigid enough to pop it off , take it to the shop and finish it there.). (3.) the 2 halves mate together with a foam rubber seal and about 8 SS wing-nut, bolt set -ups. (4) Seats bolt in using a similar set-up, to give it rigidity. etc. etc, Much more details would be needed. Has anyone seen or heard of anything like this ??? Bernie Eskesen.
Bernie Eskesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 07:11   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

Back in the late 50's Fairey Marine did!

The Fairey Atalanta had a specially made Dink that sat (inverted) over the aft cabin.

My scribblings are based on a Coracle and an inverted Tent!.....at the risk of me missing out on untold millions, I will share the "Concept" of a Dink that can be folder / scrunched up into a bag...........and the tent poles...err, I mean frames provide the rigidity....for a vessel (!) that looks more Dink shaped than a Coracle............with maybe a one piece floorboard.....to stop yer feet going straight through (some minor technicalities have yet to be fully worked through )

I am still "working" on the sailing version..........

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 08:25   #19

Boat: 44 footer
A sailing coracle would be a hoot and a half...

I just wonder how to go anywhere but down wind with that hull profile? Center of lateral resistance... whaaat? (Big grin)
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 22:24   #20

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler
this was the link i missed finding yesterday:

All About Seaweed
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 01:22   #21

I have a nesting dingy (ply) that sits on the aft coach roof (nested upside down) To assemble the halves are pulled out on either side and rest on the staunchion rails. These have been set to take the dingy in just the right position to assemble. This involves doing up three thumb screws and dropping in the two seats.The whole lot with outboard on is lifted up and over the side on the end of the boom. The dingy is a slippery little sucker of 10 foot 6 long.
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 15:53   #22

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
1) I seriously considered a nesting dinghy but it seemed awkward to assemble/break-down on deck or in the water - I'd like to read more feedback.

2) If I were rich - forget davits, have a boat big enough for the dinghy to slide out the stern from under the cockpit :-)

3) (As stated) Why couldn't a shop make custom-fitted (cold-molded or whatever) single or nesting dinghys to fit specific boats - the cabin trunk shape of many could fit nicely.

4) Craziest dinghy idea? I don't remember where I heard this - the big boat's cockpit (better shapped) be "detachable" out the stern as a seperate dinghy!
Old 23-02-2009, 04:51   #23

Boat: Reuel Parker design Egret 31.5 Yawl
Benjamaphone mentioned hard chocks on the market. Where to find them? I am thinking I will have to make chocks to tie my hard dinghy down aft the mast. A PK78 from Bateau.com - boat plans on line since 1993.

Tags
fiberglass