Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2016, 11:13   #16

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Glue for inflatable dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
How to Tell if PVC or Hypalon?

Hypalon
Seams on hypalon boats are glued. They appear much flatter in profile than PVC boats. The seams are simply overlapped and glued. Check around the seams and you will most likely see traces of excess glue that has seeped out. Hypalon boat manufacturers use a 'contact cement' type of glue in their seams. PVCs are not glued.

PVC
Seams on PVC boats are heat welded. They are 'thicker' in profile than Hypalon boats. Often the seams are covered with a strip of material which makes it difficult to see the heat welded seam. But look around to other areas of the boat and you will most likely identify the heat welded seams.

Find a small area on the boat that is hidden from view and apply a small amount of MEK (methyl ethyl ketone), Acetone, or Xylene on a rag; and rub the test area.
If area becomes sticky, if the top colour runs, or the surface of the material feels tacky, then the material is most likely PVC.
Hypalon will leave an oxidization and maybe some colour on the cloth; but the material will not be affected.

If you can see the inside of the tube (through the valve) - Hypalon is a dark grey or black on the inside. PVC is the same colour on both sides.

Lightly sand the material.
Hypalon will matt down and produce a dust.
PVC will just scratch. There will be no difference in colour.

I've had a glued PVC dinghy

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:48   #17

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'

I can tell you i just read about the bottom material ( can't remember the name ) but i've got the same problem with my 1991 "PVC" Zodiac . anyways it comes down to this . The bottom material needs polymarine 1 part Hypalon glue . But my Zodiac is PVC so i need to use polymarine 2 part PVC glue on it and then stick them both together . The 2 glues stick to each other . i just did my transom and oar locks, any thing rubber or black material needs 1 part Hypalon glue to stick to it . From what i see in your picture you could getaway with one small 250ml can of 2 part ( if your's is PVC ) and one tube of 1 part Hypalon clue . It's best to have a syringe for the hardener of the 2 part glue, if you try to pour it out of the tiny little bottle you won't / mite not get the mix right (25 to 1)ratio. I used 1/2" artist paint brushes to apply glue. As for a cleaner i used Acetone and many many small 4"x 4" clean white or light gray rags. You may not be able to find Polymarine 2903 solvent / primer but the info page says you can use Butanone ( MEK ) an activator but MEK does not have Tetrahydrofuran in it ( a softener ) . I found that "Oatey Brand" clear primer ( GOLD LABEL )for CPVC,PVC has it in it and worked just fine. That can be found at Homedepot,Menards,Lowe's, etc. The place i found glue in stock is Defender , WEST was twice the price ! Anything else you might need to know just Pm me .
sailersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:09   #18

Boat: Shannon 38

go to NRS.com and go to the how to videos. They sell patches and glues and do excellent how to videos. I have a 25 year old hypalon dinghy and was able to resurrect it using there videos, patching material and some excellent 2 part glue. If you have a hypalon dinghy you will be using toluene to prep your surfaces and thin your glues. USE A VERY GOOD MASK if you are going to use toluene.
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 13:34   #19

Boat: O'Day 40

I used West System G-Flex on my PVC Zodiac Zoom with good results. I put on new oar mounts and repaired seam separation between the tubes and rigid floor and at the transom. 18 months ago and no leaks.
Old 11-03-2016, 16:00   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

National 1957 polyurethane glue will work well on PVC with a good preclean & scuff but you need to use activator as well. Ados F2 will work on Hypalon but you MUST allow to dry for at least 2 weeks at room temp before getting it wet.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 18:01   #21

Boat: 40 foot Schucker motorsailer and 46 foot Ted Brewer custom

I think I would stay away from worth a try answers and 3M 5200 will not work on hypalon.
freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 19:26   #22
Oc1

The best advice so far is going to NRS. Another option is Cascade river outfitters. As a former commercial white water raft guide I've repaired lots of rafts, both hypalon and Pvc. Good repairs on either all begin with the prep. Taking your time and properly cleaning and sanding the surface will make a huge difference in the longevity of the repair. PVC boats can come from the factory welded or glued. Most of the PVC boats in the early 90's were glued and many of them didn't hold up nearly as well as the hypalon boats. Advance's in manufacturing and the material has made PVC boats much better across the board. I have several PVC boats that I really like primarily because of the performance advantage of the stiffer material. I also have a set of WWII Hypalon bridge pontoons that are still in remarkable shape.
So back to your question. "sorry for rambling"
1. Determine your material
2. Get the proper glue for you material, and possible watch a couple of how to videos.
3. Prep the material well and take your time and execute a great fix.
4. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Good Luck
Oc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 19:34   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshalaska View Post
I think I would stay away from worth a try answers and 3M 5200 will not work on hypalon.
Are you are trying to say 5200 will not work on Hypalon? .

If so, maybe you should take a look at my dinghy. I have an Avon RIB in the yard with a PVC rubrail attached to the Hypalon tubes and I can testify from my personal, first hand experience that it works quite well. In fact the 5200 is bonded so well to the Hypalon that when I tried to scrape off a couple of drips the fabric tore away instead of the 5200 coming off.

I also tested the strength of the bond by pulling quite hard on the edge of the rubrail and could not separate the two parts at all.

I would say that bond is quite good enough for me.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 15:08   #24

Skipmac I don't think you are gluing hypalon. It didn't bond well for me and later talking dingy repair with others they said they had the same results. Great if it worked for you but I have my doubts it was hypalon material that it bonded too. It sticks for me but it can be pulled loose and not satisfactory for me. It's all I had at the time and it limped us along for awhile but not a long term solution for me.
Cheers Mate
Old 12-03-2016, 15:17   #25

is the glue for hypalon material simply contact cement, or is it a special mix? I used the Single part glue to install some patches and it smelled like regular contact cement to me
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 15:33   #26

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'

I really think Hypalon glue is like bike tire / inner tube glue , i see it sticks to the rubber transom mounts / rubber oar locks but it is whitish looking .It could be special glue , just not sure .
sailersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 16:20   #27

I've been told by a sailer that so far has not led me wrong is that their is a Locktite product that will work on hypalon. Sorry not sure the Locktite number. When gluing hypalon part of the problem I've had is here in the Philippines it is very humid and the standard two part hyplon glue needs a accelerator added so it will cure faster. The two part hyplon glue also has a very short shelf life.
As far as 3m 5200 goes if it is readily available and often aboard yachts and I think you would have a hard time getting the hypalon dingy manufacturer to endorse it for a repair.
Old 12-03-2016, 16:41   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshalaska View Post
Skipmac I don't think you are gluing hypalon. It didn't bond well for me and later talking dingy repair with others they said they had the same results. Great if it worked for you but I have my doubts it was hypalon material that it bonded too. It sticks for me but it can be pulled loose and not satisfactory for me. It's all I had at the time and it limped us along for awhile but not a long term solution for me.
Cheers Mate
Hi FA,

Dinghy is without any doubt Hypalon. Maybe the difference is in the prep? I cleaned the tubes really well with solvent just before the repair. Over the course of the project I tested several solvents0 and can't remember what I finally settled with but it was either MEK or toluene, both fairly nasty.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, inflatable