Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2020, 07:33   #1

Highfield Classic Compared to Ultralight

I'm considering buying a Highfield 10 foot dinghy. Which one rides better in the chop a classic or ultralight? Is the external hull the same shape. Meaning do both have the same shape V? I'm wondering which one is a wetter ride in the chop? I'm guessing if they both have the same bottom then they both probably ride about same. What is your opinion?
TrailerCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:56   #2

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Re: Highfield Classic Compared to Ultralight

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that they have the same hull, the classic just has the flat inner hull and forward locker welded in, which adds a little weight. I would guess that with a couple people in it, you won't notice a difference in ride or handling.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 18:07   #3

Boat: beneteau 11.5

I'm looking at a Highfield as well, took an outboard I just bought because it was cheap- 15 hp Yamaha 2 stroke. Looking at the Ultralight 260 or 290. I have a nearly new Yamaha 8 2 stroke which I would like to use, anybody have the same set up? Will it plane - I'm 200 lbs, gf is 100. Only 3 tanks of fuel run through the 8 hp
parado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 03:33   #4

Boat: Challenger 36

My Highfield 2.6 planes with 2 people aboard and a 10hp Tohatsu 2stroke. Goes well, and one person can lift boat onto front deck for stowing when in open sea.
PegasusIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 03:34   #5

Boat: Challenger 36

Ultralight is lighter to lift and handle and rides well enough in chop.
PegasusIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 03:44   #6

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

I bought the 310 cl this season. Double floor and front locker. Very dry boat and is nice to keep fuel tank in locker. I have a 6hp 4 stroke motor but will be replacing with a 10hp next season.

Good luck
Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 15:26   #7

Boat: beneteau 11.5

The Highfield dealer I was at is claiming their PVC is made in Germany. They don't stock hypalon boats, but I can order one, for an extra 1500 bucks.... A friend has one a few years old, and the pvc is dirty and looks kinda bad. I wonder when they changed to the new PVC, and if it's any better.
parado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 16:11   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

If you're a cruiser you want a dink with a flat floor. Not one that's like a canoe. Out cruising you'll lug, fuel, water and groceries. Just try running out to the mothership with the jugs and supplies in a canoe bottom boat. Go for the little extra weight and flat bottom and hypolon of course.
Old 27-08-2020, 16:21   #9

Boat: Sabre 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerCruiser View Post
I'm considering buying a Highfield 10 foot dinghy. Which one rides better in the chop a classic or ultralight? Is the external hull the same shape. Meaning do both have the same shape V? I'm wondering which one is a wetter ride in the chop? I'm guessing if they both have the same bottom then they both probably ride about same. What is your opinion?
We considered the Highfield but ended up purchasing an Oxxean 270 that weighs only 70 pounds. We use a Honda 10 hp and it easily planes with two of us. We chose the Oxxean because it has four attachment points versus 3 in the High Field for lifting on davits. The Oxxean has a high-tech PVC as opposed to Hypalon. After two years we note zero problems but the jury will be out for at least a few years regarding the durability of the PVC. Other than that I'm really impressed by the quality and performance of the Oxxean. Coupled to its light weight and double bottom, I think it a worthwhile experiment.
Old 27-08-2020, 17:48   #10

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogin View Post
We chose the Oxxean because it has four attachment points versus 3 in the High Field for lifting on davits.
My Highfield had four attachment points. Had an AB once with only three points , put a couple of "D" rings towards the bow. Did the trick.

Tags
classic