Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2015, 08:49   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40.1
Re: Hobie Cat as a tender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by debath View Post
Hi all, I am no expert but I would want a tender that was ready to go "ASAP" just in case.
+1 for the above.
KeepInTune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 08:55   #17

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Hi all, I am no expert but I would want a tender that was ready to go "ASAP" just in case.
Sometimes it's just not possible to store the tender without deflating or disassembly. Dunno what kind of boat the OP has but if it can store a Hobie and it's mast that's probably not a problem he has to deal with.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 09:02   #18

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
You could tow an inflatable cat so it would be ready for quick use but would still be stowable if necessary. How big a dinghy to use & how to transport it is always an issue for cruisers. However, I think most of us would agree that towing a Hobie 16 any distance does not make a lot of sense even though it would be ready to go ASAP. We all know there are a ton of alternatives out there but an inflatable catamaran is clearly the most comparable to the OP's desired Hobie 16. Plus it would be a hoot!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 09:03   #19

Too big, too wet.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 09:11   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40.1

A Hobie 16's rudders would snap off at the rudder post around day-2 of towing.
KeepInTune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 09:37   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

A Hobie 16 is not stable at all in higher winds because of its sail area to displacement ratio. They can and probably will capsize on their own with nobody aboard in a really good gust of wind. I have seen it many times having raced Hobies for a number of years. I have seen Hobies blow over in the water, blow over on the beach and blow over off of trailers onto the ground.

If you really like like the idea, a smaller cat with a much smaller rig would still get you around...just not as fast.

Hoboes 16's don't tack worth a darn without the jib. It can be done but it takes a lot a practice and some luck.

You could lock the rudders up and secure the cross arm for towing.

You could get a Hobie 14, take the rig off and use it for rowing. I have seen that before...it also rows relatively fast.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 09:39   #22

I couldn't find much on the inflatable ones. I've got to check out those. Mostly I just want a tender that'll be fun(fast?) without wasting gas. I would want to have a tender ready faster than 20 minutes though... :/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CaptainSostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 10:07   #23

Other than choosing which big boat to buy choosing which little boat to buy & how to transport it is probably the hardest decision cruisers have to make. Although RIB owners like to pretend their dinghies row well the sad fact of the matter is that no one dinghy can do everything well. Dinghies designed to plane well do not row or sail well & dinghies designed to row or sail do not plane. Cats are the one hull design that can violate these principals but they don't really tow well & have to be broken down to store. We finally decided to go with 2 dinghies, an 11' Avon that we deflate & stow & a 10' Bauer sailing dinghy that we tow. I'm also thinking about adding inflatable paddle boards.
Old 26-03-2015, 10:39   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Other than choosing which big boat to buy choosing which little boat to buy & how to transport it is probably the hardest decision cruisers have to make. Although RIB owners like to pretend their dinghies row well the sad fact of the matter is that no one dinghy can do everything well. Dinghies designed to plane well do not row or sail well & dinghies designed to row or sail do not plane. Cats are the one hull design that can violate these principals but they don't really tow well & have to be broken down to store. We finally decided to go with 2 dinghies, an 11' Avon that we deflate & stow & a 10' Bauer sailing dinghy that we tow. I'm also thinking about adding inflatable paddle boards.
I've been thinking that I might have to go that route as well. Just trying to avoid the cost of a second dinghy. :/ I suppose looking for fun and low cost in the dinghy is too much to ask.

Old 26-03-2015, 10:41   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

It might be better to get an outboard. Some people will frown upon sailing a fast boat through a crowded anchorage.

Or get a 10 or 12 foot monohull dink with oars, a small outboard and a sailing rig. This way you will have options and not make others upset.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 11:04   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
It might be better to get an outboard. Some people will frown upon sailing a fast boat through a crowded anchorage.

Or get a 10 or 12 foot monohull dink with oars, a small outboard and a sailing rig. This way you will have options and not make others upset.

This would have to go down as one of the strangest post I've seen so far. Why would anyone rather hear an outboard go by than a silent sailboat? And why in the world would anyone care if you sailed by there anchored boat?
Old 26-03-2015, 11:28   #27

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Henshaw, in England, used to make (and may still do) some wonderful sailing inflatables, with a brand name of Tinker. I have had two Tinker Tramps. They have daggerboards, sail decently, row well, and plane with 4 HP. There is also a liferaft mod that can be added. Probably a few used ones, around.
I used to have a Tinker (and a Hobie 16). Interesting little boats. Sail, row, power. Much more suitable as a tender than a H16. Had the life raft kit for mine...fortuanately never had to use...two person at best.

We named ours "FUGLY"...things of beauty they are not.

Just recalled I have towed H16's short distances. Unattended tracking is not their strong suit. You really need someone aboard at the tiller. Towing behind a sailboat for any distance would be a major PITA.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 12:53   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post

What really pisses me off is when you're anchored in a beautiful cove, the sun's just coming up, you can hear the sound of the wave softly lapping against the beach & the baby birds just waking up... & then some ******* comes by in a kayak! Have some freaking respect & get a wave runner you jerk!
Old 26-03-2015, 13:30   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
What really pisses me off is when you're anchored in a beautiful cove, the sun's just coming up, you can hear the sound of the wave softly lapping against the beach & the baby birds just waking up... & then some ******* comes by in a kayak! Have some freaking respect & get a wave runner you jerk!
You forgot to insert /sarcasm... I hope.

Old 26-03-2015, 14:09   #30

what the hell would you do with it when you needed to stay in a marina?? PAY for 2 slips??
capt steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hobie cat, tender