Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2022, 09:33   #1

Boat: Beneteau OCEANIS 46.1
Honda 2.3 Query

I’ve recently purchased a little Honda 2.3 0utboard for our dinghy.
It usually sits vertically on the push pit, but occasionally it stays on the dinghy and is tilted onto the catch out of the water. When I’ve tried to start it after it’s been on the tilt, it feels like there is a hydraulic lock on the first pull and then it won’t start until I pull the plug out & clear the cylinder and plug. It then runs normally. Is it possible that oil is running into the cylinder when the engine is tilted? It is never put wrong side down we’re the oil can do this, so I’m baffled and/or disappointed if this is the case. Has anyone had similar experiences?
CAVOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 09:53   #2

Re: Honda 2.3 Query

If I'm not mistaken, the Honda 2.3 has 2 plastic feet on one side of the cowling and the tiller on the other? I know oil will run into the cylinder if you somehow manage to set it on the side with the tiller or vertically. However, I don't know how you would do that while it was still attached to the boat. Does it have problems starting if you lean it over one way versus the other?
NPCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:05   #3

We used to run that motor for a small dink - great product and very reliable. @NPCambell is correct, the motor needs to be oriented with the 2 small rectangular feet pointing down. If at a mooring, the motor may try to re-orient if there's enough wave/wake action. Any type of rocking would typically result in the motor orienting itself in a position other than that described above. If in a rolly anchorage we would either remove the motor from the dink or keep it in the vertical position (with the prop in the water).

Also make sure you turn the cap on the top of the tank to 'off' as well as the fuel supply valve towards the rear of the engine to off (it's a horizontal lever that slides fore to aft).
Jake Tanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:37   #4

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVOK View Post
Occasionally it stays on the dinghy and is tilted onto the catch out of the water.

It should only be tilted if you're in extremely shallow water, or when the drag would pose a problem (as when rowing or towing a dinghy that has the motor attached).

If you do leave it tilted, turn the motor (as you would when steering with it) until it is "right side up," and tighten the steering friction to keep it that way.
Old 11-07-2022, 11:55   #5

Hi
I might not have given enough info.
I’m not running the motor in the tilt position but just leaving it tilted when our yacht is at anchor or is being towed behind. It seems to be draining the oil into the cylinder , which I find quite unusual & something I’ve never experienced in years of outboards
Old 11-07-2022, 14:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVOK View Post
Hi
I might not have given enough info.
I’m not running the motor in the tilt position but just leaving it tilted when our yacht is at anchor or is being towed behind. It seems to be draining the oil into the cylinder , which I find quite unusual & something I’ve never experienced in years of outboards
I don't think anyone is assuming you are running with it tilted out of the water. What I was trying to say is that if you have it tilted up out of the water, not running, and you turn the motor left or right to its limit and the plastic legs are oriented up, there is a possibility that oil will flow into the cylinders. So instead, turn the motor to the other extent so the plastic feet are pointing down and then lock the motor in that position. This is nothing scientific on my part ... just a guess.
NPCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 14:40   #7

Ok, I understand your comment now.
I will definitely keep it either straight up vertical or tilted to the preferred side.
Also while I’ve always turned the fuel cap. Rest get off I haven’t been turning the rear fuel lever off.
Thanks all & I’ll keep trying

Tags
honda