Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2016, 12:15   #76

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Hookah ,diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Does anyone know what the minimum CFM is required for a DIY Hookha set up for a 2 meter depth?
I cant actually remember now, years ago I did the research and vaguely remember it being approximately 140l/m. The problem with finding a pump was finding one with the appropriate volume and pressure.
The Thomas pumps seemed to be the go but couldn't find them here.
As someone else has mentioned different people suck different amounts of air for various physical reasons including how comfortable you are in the water.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 12:21   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Does anyone know what the minimum CFM is required for a DIY Hookha set up for a 2 meter depth?

It does vary by person and work load, how fatigued you are, your experience level etc.
My SAC rate swimming is .67 cu ft per min. That is surface of course so if I were at 33 ft, then it is twice that. For me it works out that I can get by with 1 cu ft at 90 PSI cleaning the bottom, but just barely. Remember just like any pump a compressor will put out less volume the higher the pressure, so look for one rated at 90 PSI or so.
The $144 silent compressor I linked to makes 2 cu ft at 90 PSI, if I remember correctly. It cycles off when I am using it, so I am not overbreathing it.
Another thing that hasn't been discussed is the intermediate pressure for an average SCUBA regulator is about 150 PSI., so ideally the second stage should be adjusted to work at 90 or so PSI., but it breathes a little harder, but not enough for me to bother adjusting it.
If I used the thing daily or even very often, then I think I would bother adjusting the second stage to work on the lower pressure of my compressor, but the small annoyance isn't worth the bother to me.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 12:30   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Sadly, a whole lot of diving novices do, in fact, use hookah equipment. Do a search and you'll find a previous discussion on this board where someone repeatedly insisted that, because the air was coming from the surface, they absolutely WERE NOT breathing compressed air! Seriously. People explained to him over and over how he was, in reality, breathing compressed air, and therefore needed to be careful about holding his breath while surfacing. It just did not get through. Until the end he insisted that hookah diving did not involve breathing compressed air.

So, no, we absolutely cannot just assume that anyone using hookah will have the necessary training and knowledge. That is why some on here are adamant that the risks not be down-played. Where people's lives are at stake, I tend to agree. We shouldn't exaggerate the risks, but we REALLY shouldn't minimize them!
Ive done alot of diving. Many times i have gone out with padi groups, all being a minimum of open water. I can assure you training dosent always guarantee natural selection is avoided. Ive seen many incompetent divers including dive masters that are seriously pushing bottom time etc. Ive also done alot diving from private boats and can also assure you that some very experienced divers can and are complacent.
Although the world wants to wrap us in nerf through the endless amount of courses and regulations nothing will replace the common sense of a capable man.
If you choose to use a hookah and aren't wise enough to research the basics (and it is basic) of diving with compressed air then your a fool. If you follow very basic rules then it is VERY safe. There are less variables at play with diving with compressed air cleaning your boat bottom than there are while diving at depth in open water. Thousands and thousands of people dive everyday in all parts of the world.

Old 28-12-2016, 09:15   #79

Was that supposed to be a response to my post? If not, why did you quote my post? If so, all I can say is that you have completely missed every point that I made by a good country mile. But, you obviously have your agenda to push and seem to want to get in the last word, so by all means, post yet another non sequitur. This has been a rather stupid argument for some time now, and I won't contribute to it any more (which is basically what you said three pages back, but I actually mean it).
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 12:06   #80

Quote:
Was that supposed to be a response to my post? If not, why did you quote my post? If so, all I can say is that you have completely missed every point that I made by a good country mile. But, you obviously have your agenda to push and seem to want to get in the last word, so by all means, post yet another non sequitur. This has been a rather stupid argument for some time now, and I won't contribute to it any more (which is basically what you said three pages back, but I actually mean it).
It wasn't meant to be personal, sorry it was taken that way, your post was more than reasonable and I wasnt attacking you.

Old 29-12-2016, 09:04   #81

Okay, I said I wouldn't contribute anymore, but this calls for a response.

I am impressed. It is a rare person nowadays who is willing to step up and say "sorry." Especially on the internet. Thank you for that, and kudos to you for it also.

I, too, must apologize for taking your post too personally. I still think the whole debate is a little silly, but everyone has their opinion, and everyone is entitled to express it.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 09:16   #82
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
I still think the whole debate is a little silly...
I don't believe it is silly at all. When somebody claims that breathing compressed air underwater carries no risks and is completely safe, that is BS that needs to be called out. Maybe the debate dragged on a little longer than it should have, but such is the nature of discussions in internet forums.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 12:40   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I don't believe it is silly at all. When somebody claims that breathing compressed air underwater carries no risks and is completely safe, that is BS that needs to be called out. Maybe the debate dragged on a little longer than it should have, but such is the nature of discussions in internet forums.
You need to read my posts again. Please dont miss quote me.

Old 29-12-2016, 13:17   #84
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Please dont miss quote me.
I didn't misquote you. In fact, I didn't quote you at all. But your inference about shallow water hookah/SCUBA use was clear to anybody who read your posts.
Old 13-01-2017, 07:25   #85

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

How do you maintain buoyancy when using a Hookah?

Do you still use a BC (buoyancy compensator)?

Do you use a wet suit?

Do you use weight belt?
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 07:33   #86
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
How do you maintain buoyancy when using a Hookah?

Do you still use a BC (buoyancy compensator)?
No.

Quote:
Do you use a wet suit?
As with any other diving, dependant upon water temperature.

Quote:
Do you use weight belt?
If you are wearing a wetsuit or drysuit, then yes, you would wear a weight belt. That said, some hull cleaners prefer to work without one.
Old 13-01-2017, 08:24   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

BC's are a relatively new invention, as a kid we wore shorts a T shirt and the tank on our back on a plastic plate, you ballasted yourself to being pretty negative at the start of the dive so that towards the end you were pretty neutral. I would often carry a rock and drop it later to change buoyancy. But then nobody had computers or even pressure gauges either, you swam until it got hard to breathe and pulled the wire on your J valve and came up, unless the wire had already been pulled, then you did a swimming ascent, cause you had no more air.
Sort of like riding a motorcycle years ago, you rode until it ran out of gas and then switched to reserve, unless you had left it there from before, then you walked

I'm fat so I have to have weight even in just shorts when I use the Hooka, my kid doesn't need weight, in a wet suit even a 3 mil, most people would float like a cork without it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 08:42   #88

Community Sponsor

OK, thanks. Good info here.

I have tanks and a BC, but its pain to suit up just for bottom cleaning.
The Hookah seems like a better option.

I have purchased these things to get me started. Am I missing anything?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12-20-2016 9-02-38 AM.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	139566   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	139567  

Name:	Campbell Hausfeld MP513810.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	139568   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l500-1.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	139569  

Old 13-01-2017, 08:50   #89
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
OK, thanks. Good info here.

I have tanks and a BC, but its pain to suit up just for bottom cleaning.
The Hookah seems like a better option.

I have purchased these things to get me started. Am I missing anything?
You will find that without a heat dissapation hose between the compressor and your main breathing air hose, the hose (where it attaches to the compressor) will dry out, crack, leak and eventually need to be cut back to good hose. How rapidy this occurs will depend on often and long you use the hookah.
Old 13-01-2017, 09:07   #90

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
You will find that without a heat dissapation hose between the compressor and your main breathing air hose, the hose (where it attaches to the compressor) will dry out, crack, leak and eventually need to be cut back to good hose. How rapidy this occurs will depend on often and long you use the hookah.
OK, good. Then I should add the 5 foot Heat Transfer Hose Extension?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5 foot Heat Transfer Hose Extension.gif
Views:	171
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	139571