Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2019, 19:04   #31

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius
Re: how to inflate AB dinghy

I have an old AB and have patched it a lot. Used the AB pump which works well and is expensive. Finally bit the bullet and bought a West Marine 12 volt pump. Glad I did. Got very tired of deflating and inflating by hand and pump runs off my dinghy battery. $90 on sale plus another $7 for the adaptor.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 08:40   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens View Post
Here's a link to a short saga of my attempts to find the best inflation pumps for my AB Dinghy: Maintaining a RIB
No best solution found.

john
excellent advice on the dinghy at youre website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithril Bham View Post
You need a Halkey Roberts adaptor more than likely. Cheap and available at most marine store.
Use Hypalon material for patching.
Watch NRS Utube on hypalon repair. Hopefully you won't have to use an inner patch since that is a bitch.
Good luck
mite as well stick a inner patch since there's already a hole.
actually the inner patch is the best that's where all the pressure is right. reminds me of the olden days where they patched a car inner tube and the plugin tire trick.
maybe I could fold the car tire patch insert it inside then spread it flate while inside. then slap on the academy patch kindof sandwiching the hole in between 2 patchs .
plan is to
1. clean inside the tube w/ acetone
2.insert car tire patch inside the tube
3.position inside patch then remove it's adhesive cover apply pressure.
4.cover w/ good coat of G2 flex
5.while tackie apply the academy patch
6.glue the perimeter of patch

apparently I'll require a hand pump in addition to an electric due to leakage when removing the hose, is this true or false?
I was actuelly thinking you Guy's just air up at the gas station on the way
Old 20-09-2019, 08:53   #33

You should be able to find a small workshop type 12volt vacuum cleaner that can allow the hose to go into the exhaust side for inflating. Just holding the nozzle against the inflation valve works fine, wrap the end with a bit of tape to get a tight fit if needed. A manual pump with a built in pressure gauge is the best choice however. Check for a cheap Intex brand one.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 23:56   #34

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Don’t open the valve, and the adapter doesn’t open it either, it opens when the air pressure from the pump exceeds what is in the dinghy. When you remove the hose, you won’t lose any air at all, if you open the valve, you’ll lose an astonishing amount before you can close it.
If the exterior rubbery covering is coming off the Hypalon, there are paints to paint a dinghy with, but it’s nearing the end of its life, so decide how much work and money you want to put into it, cause it may only last another year or two.
But new AB’s aren’t inexpensive either, I believe them to be one of the higher quality ones, my opinion anyway, I bought an AB.

My Caribe is a LOT easier to inflate with the valve open while you pump. Yea you can lose some air when you disconnect the pump but it's not that hard to disconnect the hose and close the valve without losing too much air. Ten more pumps with the valve closed and you're good to go.
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 01:08   #35

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

I use a double action hand pump (pumps on both up and down strokes). Leaves a foot pump for dead and when considering that electric pumps obviously need a nearby electricity source, way more convenient. I have a 3.6m inflatable that pumps from half flat to nice and firm in short order. Not necessarily this one but the concept.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5AB2E566-8CD5-4B8B-9FBB-570ED1E7F0FA.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	200271  
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 03:08   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymaxion View Post
You should be able to find a small workshop type 12volt vacuum cleaner that can allow the hose to go into the exhaust side for inflating. Just holding the nozzle against the inflation valve works fine, wrap the end with a bit of tape to get a tight fit if needed. A manual pump with a built in pressure gauge is the best choice however. Check for a cheap Intex brand one.
I actually have a portable 120VAC small vacuum I taped a cut open container to capture the exhaust air. couldn't get a flow of air.

I've read I can disassemble remove the debris bag and capture where the bag was.

I was able to purchase a intex pump at walmart they where sold out my initial attempt to purchase. I grinded my own halkey/roberts valve taped to pump and was able to pump her up halfway. she's still halfway 24hours later so I assume the hole was patched w/ just the glob of G2 , wasn't able to position the inner piece I was attempting for inner it's inside the tube lose, I still plan the academy patch.

my homemade halkey/roberts only has a small Oring I need a next step up in diameter to slide upto the gasket currently it's not air tight maybe this is why she won't pump past halfway? I estimate the pump putting out half of it's capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souzag818 View Post
My Caribe is a LOT easier to inflate with the valve open while you pump. Yea you can lose some air when you disconnect the pump but it's not that hard to disconnect the hose and close the valve without losing too much air. Ten more pumps with the valve closed and you're good to go.
I try this next.
need to sort out my pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
I use a double action hand pump (pumps on both up and down strokes). Leaves a foot pump for dead and when considering that electric pumps obviously need a nearby electricity source, way more convenient. I have a 3.6m inflatable that pumps from half flat to nice and firm in short order. Not necessarily this one but the concept.
yes I was able to get the intex at walmart to bad it didn't come w/ the halkey valve.

I'm interested in the air adaptors https://www.amazon.com/Overmont-Infl...NR5QFJGK2JJCCA w/ the tire valve (schrader valve) seams like I could get away w/ inflating w/ the electric hi pressure tire pump
Old 24-09-2019, 03:15   #37

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Steve1 View Post
excellent advice on the dinghy at youre website.
mite as well stick a inner patch since there's already a hole.
actually the inner patch is the best that's where all the pressure is right. reminds me of the olden days where they patched a car inner tube and the plugin tire trick.
maybe I could fold the car tire patch insert it inside then spread it flate while inside. then slap on the academy patch kindof sandwiching the hole in between 2 patchs .
plan is to
1. clean inside the tube w/ acetone
2.insert car tire patch inside the tube
3.position inside patch then remove it's adhesive cover apply pressure.
4.cover w/ good coat of G2 flex
5.while tackie apply the academy patch
6.glue the perimeter of patch

apparently I'll require a hand pump in addition to an electric due to leakage when removing the hose, is this true or false?
I was actuelly thinking you Guy's just air up at the gas station on the way
I experience no leakage when using the electric pump. Valve closes immediately.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 07:00   #38

fix one hole only to find a second pin hole. I smeared G2 taped up the home made halkey valve so the 2 aft tubes are firm.

G2 is so strong tha academy patch mite not be needed.

next after identifying any additional holes wheels mounted to transom an a bench to sit on w/ umbrella spot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	first G2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	200476   Click image for larger version

Name:	diy halkey valve.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	200477  

Old 25-09-2019, 03:35   #39

update the good is after 20 hours of inflation both aft tubes are holding air fine the star side isn't quit as firm as port.

the bad there must be a forth or more hole I'll be inspecting for.

after 20 hours of inflation the front chamber is halfway deflated.

I'm inflating then wetting area w/ soapy water looking for bubbles.

considering plan B cutting a slit in the front chamber inside middle seam. insert 12"x 20" shaped styrofoam
blocks then expanding foam in a can around blocks.the styrofoam is almost weightless .
Old 25-09-2019, 04:08   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
considering plan B cutting a slit in the front chamber inside middle seam. insert 12"x 20" shaped styrofoam
blocks then expanding foam in a can around blocks.the styrofoam is almost weightless .
That sounds a bit drastic and it means it won't fold up again.

As an alternative and since the leak is slow how about using a tub of this stuff first.

https://www.polymarineshop.com/product/sealflex-500ml/

Used it once before for on old dive club inflatable when the club didn't have any money. It was a 4m Zodiac and in a dire states. So poured it in to the tubes and then set to work with 6 big lads turning and moving the boat for about 30 minutes to ensure the liquid covered all the insides. Pumped it up gently and left it over night. Worked and we got an extra couple of years out of it.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 06:57   #41

Just make sure if you ever sell that thing you tell the buyer that the "patch" is a hodgepodge of experiments because, inexplicably, you were reluctant to use hypalon and hypalon glue to repair your hypalon dinghy.
SwellGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 08:33   #42

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwellGuy View Post
Just make sure if you ever sell that thing you tell the buyer that the "patch" is a hodgepodge of experiments because, inexplicably, you were reluctant to use hypalon and hypalon glue to repair your hypalon dinghy.
From the original poster it seems to me that the guy is trying to do this as cheaply as possible. Considering the condition he may have gotten the thing for free of very cheap and does not want to spend any money to fix it.

The OP also said that he wants it to use it as a liferaft. Apparently his life and the lives of his family are not worth much to him. I hope he is not venturing far from land.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 03:22   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
That sounds a bit drastic and it means it won't fold up again.

As an alternative and since the leak is slow how about using a tub of this stuff first.

https://www.polymarineshop.com/product/sealflex-500ml/

Used it once before for on old dive club inflatable when the club didn't have any money. It was a 4m Zodiac and in a dire states. So poured it in to the tubes and then set to work with 6 big lads turning and moving the boat for about 30 minutes to ensure the liquid covered all the insides. Pumped it up gently and left it over night. Worked and we got an extra couple of years out of it.
this was plan C I was actually planning to use slime flate tire repair in a can on compressed air pumpwd in though a shrader air valve inflating w/ my car tire compressor.

I found and fixed 3 pin holes topside flipped her over and physically felt 2 more punctures underneath didn't inflate just G2ed.

my diy halkey valve needs a collar to surport the gasket

I'm tinking the collars diameter is wider/greater than the gasket the piece I slide up to gasket is currently smaller in diameter of gasket.

only a small % of pumped air is entering the chamber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
From the original poster it seems to me that the guy is trying to do this as cheaply as possible. Considering the condition he may have gotten the thing for free of very cheap and does not want to spend any money to fix it. yes it was donated cost me $50. fuel $. rarely anyone gives something worth a dam away. I'll proballey give it to a kid.

The OP also said that he wants it to use it as a liferaft. Apparently his life and the lives of his family are not worth much to him. I hope he is not venturing far from land.
yes life raft even w/ only the 2 aft tubes inflated it will still hole half of it originally rated capacities of 1100LBs. which is better than swimming. usually cruise w/in a 20mile in 200+ depth from land easy swim for me.
Old 26-09-2019, 08:21   #44

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
this was plan C I was actually planning to use slime flate tire repair in a can on compressed air pumpwd in though a shrader air valve inflating w/ my car tire compressor.

I found and fixed 3 pin holes topside flipped her over and physically felt 2 more punctures underneath didn't inflate just G2ed.

my diy halkey valve needs a collar to surport the gasket

I'm tinking the collars diameter is wider/greater than the gasket the piece I slide up to gasket is currently smaller in diameter of gasket.

only a small % of pumped air is entering the chamber.

yes life raft even w/ only the 2 aft tubes inflated it will still hole half of it originally rated capacities of 1100LBs. which is better than swimming. usually cruise w/in a 20mile in 200+ depth from land easy swim for me.
I am sure that you misspoke, but it looks like you think a 20 mile ocean swim is easy. If so, then I hope that is also true for any passengers you take aboard.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 08:00   #45

Update: the bad: after smearing more G2 on the bottom punctures she’s still not holding air. there must be additional holes, repaired holes still holding w/ just the G2.

Good:I’ve made few refinements on the home made halkey an pumped up w/ more air entering chamber. I’ve smeared enough soapy water.

Next step cut a slite and shove this tube raft,( it appears to be the perfect size) inside the chamber as a bladder inside a bladder. What do you Guys think?

The 20 mile swim is doable for me in 71* + water temps., I’m usually cruising in state water so let’s say 10N miles. Guests are told I say as a formality, I can’t accept total responsibility for transitioning you back to port most still go.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	air bladder.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	362.6 KB
ID:	200599  

Tags
dinghy