Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2017, 10:24   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Hypalon Dinghy -- Question about Loss of Value.

Need some advice here.

A French charter boat came in last week and pierced my almost brand new Hypalon dinghy with her anchor

Worst possible timing, with Easter coming here, and all marine service providers fully booked with the whole Solent sailing fleet being fitted out for the season, and me about to leave to my annual Baltic odyssey.

Long story short, I did find a guy who repaired it over the weekend. He patched the hole then reskinned the damaged section with a new piece of Hypalon. He used two component glue and says that it is as strong as new. He charged me less than 200 pounds including coming to pick up and delivering the dinghy after the service.

The repair looks good, but of course a patched inflatable is not a new inflatable.

My question is -- should I ask for compensation for the loss of value, or would that be caddish?

My own insurance company -- Pantaenius -- encouraged me to file a claim with them, replace the dingy altogether, then let them deal with the French charter company. They were really nice about it and assured me that because my boat was moored at the time, it would have no effect on my premiums. (My experiences with Pantaenius continue to be amazingly good and quite different to some reported here).

When someone damages my boat -- which happens frequently -- scratches it or bangs into me, I almost always just let it go -- anyway I have the topsides polished every other year, and **** happens. In this case, my first impulse is to let the French charter company pay the small repair bill and forget about it, being glad the whole thing is over. On the other hand . . .
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:34   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Hypalon Dinghy -- Question about Loss of Value.

Only you can decide.
For me it would depend on how their attitude was, if they were apologetic, accepted blame and were very sorry, I'd likely just "eat" it, however if they acted like the South end of a North bound Mule, I'd rub their noses in it and go with what your insurance said do.

However it doesn't sound like you have the charters contact info to send a bill to? I'm talking the people who rented the boat, not the company that rented it.

I can't think of a single instance of when another boat has ever come into contact with mine, and I can think of twice for you, is it just that crowded over there?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:12   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Dockhead, I'd follow your insurers advice. After all a hole is a hole and a patch is a patch. A patched dinghy is no longer a nearly new dinghy. Can you put in a claim and use the patched dinghy until it can be replaced? Let your insurance company deal with the charter company's insurers and let them deal with the bloke who did the damage.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:49   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Only you can decide.
For me it would depend on how their attitude was, if they were apologetic, accepted blame and were very sorry, I'd likely just "eat" it, however if they acted like the South end of a North bound Mule, I'd rub their noses in it and go with what your insurance said do.

However it doesn't sound like you have the charters contact info to send a bill to? I'm talking the people who rented the boat, not the company that rented it.

I can't think of a single instance of when another boat has ever come into contact with mine, and I can think of twice for you, is it just that crowded over there?
Everyone involved has been perfectly gentlemenly, both insurance companies, and the guilty French skipper.

I certainly will not rub anyone's noses in it, nor would that be normally what would determine my behavior. I'm more interested in practice -- whether it is usual and normal to make a claim like this, or whether it would seem greedy and overreaching -- based on what practically happens in such cases.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:09   #5

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Think of it this way. If someone crashed into and totalled your car, their insurance would pay to replace. You aren't obligated to fix or replace it though.
They are paying for the damage, not the fix.
I would follow the advice of your insurance. It's nice to see them looking out for their customer.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:16   #6

If, at the end of the day, one of two parties will be upset or disappointed, it should not be you. You're going to perpetually annoyed (reminded every time you look at that patch), so some incompetent stranger isn't??

If your agent says a claim won't raise your deductible, then follow through with their professional advise.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:19   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I abhor the thought of my new equipment damaged by someone else's hand....it's the sort of thing that chews at my brain stem. I would do as insurance says.....
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:43   #8

Boat: Heritage 35

I'd go with Insurance claim also. make sure though that the replacement is also Hypolon as that stuff lasts forever without a whole lot of maintenance. my last one lasted 40 years before I replaced and sold it. It's still going strong as far as I know. The other stuff doesn't last at all. maybe you can buy the other one from the insurance as salvage. No one will steal a beatup looking patched dinghy! Now people who have put a bunch of patches on new ones just to prevent theft. Also makes them easier to identify!
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:50   #9

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

IMHO take a check for the repair and move on. This probably won't be your last patch over the life of an actively used inflatable, and a well-executed patch is normal wear and tear -- it's a used dinghy either way when you go to sell it.

If you don't move on the saga will continue, with replacement activities, disposal activities and phone calls, emails etc.

Edit - I like DotDun's idea below, better.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:53   #10

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

I would get a new one, let the charter company have the repaired one, then you won't feel like you stuck it to 'em.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 13:18   #11

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

DH, you are a good dude; refreshing, in this forum of late.

I would take line of overall least resistance and follow your insurance co advice.
They can deal with the parties involved & you can concentrate on more pleasurable activities.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 14:02   #12

I don't think it's greedy to want your near new dinghy to be as good as it was before the accident.

A patch is always going to be a potential future leak.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 15:29   #13

I also would normally let it go. Isn't there a saying "Let any man who has not dropped an anchor in his dinghy cast the first stone"?

But now that the insurance company has noted in its terabytes of files that the dinghy was damaged and not fixed to their recommendation, this will come up if you ever have a another claim on the dinghy. They will ask "How can we determine what is new damage and what is old damage that shouldn't be part of the new claim?"

Even the best insurance companies are still insurance companies.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 16:39   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

A small puncture well patched does change the value more than say 5% I think.

I would buy a punctured new hypalon dinghy anyways given any decent discount.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 18:08   #15

Boat: Oyster 66

Move on mate. Life is too short to mess about for a few grubby quid. I'm in litigation right now and it's killing me. I wish I'd never started proceedings.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy