Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2024, 14:18   #1

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Hypalon Dinghy Repair

I have a Highfield dingy with a slow leak in a fairly accessible place. I don't trust the patch kit that came with it (no instructions, label says adhesive is "polyurethan M.E.K.) and I've had bad luck previously with the patch kits. I'm in the Exumas, Georgetown, Bahamas so worried about humidity with that one part adhesive kit. Would love to get my hands on a two part adhesive but that seems unlikely here (the hardware store/chandlery is closed) also the humidity is an issue still.

So the question is: I've heard 5200 is a good options. Yes, messy. And some people have had bad results. BUT is there anyone who can tell me about their GOOD results and the methods they used to get those results.

Thanks a ton...
SVSeaHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2024, 14:44   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Hypalon Dinghy Repair

The 5200 will work, but the downside is the very slow cure time. You would need to leave the dinghy uninflated for around a week to be confident of success, and if you are actively cruising that can be difficult.

A good alternative is G-Flex epoxy if any of your neighbors have some. Quick setup, good adhesion and easy to use. Other epoxies might work well too, but no experience, personal or crowd sourced on that.

Our personal choice has been Rema TipTop SC2000 or SC4000. These are industrial two part adhesives and likely hard to source in your location... commonly used to repair big conveyor belts and other heavy duty industrial items. VEry good bond strength and reasonably tolerant of "yottie application techniques".

Good luck with the repair, whatever you can find to use for it.

Jim

Tags
dinghy, repair