Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2009, 10:35   #31

Boat: Gulfstar Hirsh 45, Anam Cara
Zodiac inflatable

We just purchased a used Zodiac inflatable (310S model) and it is good shape. It seems the floorboards are too long for the boat? Does anyone know how to access on on-line manual for this boat or have some info on assembly?
francie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 10:51   #32

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I was wondering with all this input about cost and repair of an inflatable if you might consider a hard dink. I'm not here to start another dinghy war but I have had inflatables, folding boats, nesting boats and now a 7.5ft Livingston. There are other options out there.
Never will I buy another inflatable, I now have a Dyer Dhow, that is lightweight and indestrucible. plus gave up the 8hp for a honda 2hp, no more struggling to get the thing on the dink in heavy weather!
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 13:32   #33

No complaints with this boat or any features it has:

AquaPro SMR101 hypalon aluminum double floor RIB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dink.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	8726  
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 16:07   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27
I have a PVC roundtail (Wetline) dink with an inflatable floor.
I've had it 3 years now and it's very tatty though servicable. I've broken both oars just rowing hard, one I repaired by inserting a tube inside the original and through drilling and bolting where the quick release button was.
I'm very dissapointed with the durability with the PVC. On one occasion I came alongside the dock/steps that were encrusted with small barnicles, despite trying to keep the dink clear she made contact with the dock and was punctured just below the rubbing strake, This was a problem for patching as it was right where the rubbing strake was stuck, however it was a small leak and I used a sealant that you pour into the tube turn the tube over and over to get an even coating inside. I could see where the sealant was coming through so orientated the dink so the leak was at the lowest piont. This worked excellently and I would strongly reccomend the pour in sealant. The inflatable floor is also excellent and if you take a little water it stays in the bottom so you stay pretty dry.
Although after 3 years my dink is still serviceable I am dissapointed with the durability of the PVC, I have used the dink a lot but only leasure use, I intend to go serious cruising where the 'Dink' becomes like a family car, ie used every day ferrying back and forth to various docks etc, I honestly believe a Hypalon 'Dink' with a inflatable floor fits the bill.
Old 26-06-2009, 16:48   #35

Boat: Buizen 48
Perhaps this is a bit of a tangent, yet still related.

I recently saw a Genesis 3.4 with a tear on one side where the hypolon tube joins the transom. As I have an interest in this type of RIB, I inquired as to what was the cause of the damage.

I learned that the owner's 9 yr old son launched it with its 20HP 4-stroke Honda at full throttle.... across a cement marina finger. What happened to the kid, I don't know.

However, if that is the kind of abuse a Genesis can handle with only a separation that can be re-glued, that's my kind of inflatable!
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 21:50   #36

An additional note: I just noticed today that it was a "folding transom" version.

Why is this important? Because Walker-Bay also make a "non-folding transom" version and brackets as an option that can make a folding transom version the equivalent of a non-folding...

That's why I own the latter .... and bought today the custom made sunbrella cover for this slightly damaged Genesis ... gotta love that guy's 9 year old son! '
Old 30-06-2009, 17:52   #37

Boat: Dufour 36 Classic
Last year I bought an Achilles 10' hard bottom dinghy. I had a Caribe 10' rollup. I hated that rollup. Water always sloshing around and it was difficult to keep it inflated hard enough. I would get in the damn dinghy and it was like walking on a marshmellow. Lots of photo opportunities.
I will take the inconvenience of a hard bottom especially at that size where the rollup does not save you tons of room. Unless your boat is 40' or more it's difficult to store.
I dive and fish so the hard bottom with bow locker is fantastic. Add in the larger tubes and superb construction of Achilles and I'm happy!
jimmy_legaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 19:37   #38

Avon rover r280 with wooden floor!
Bought used, fits in a bag in the locker, has never leaked, love it.

Why is Avon not at the top of everybody's list?
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 21:24   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_legaro View Post
Last year I bought an Achilles 10' hard bottom dinghy. I had a Caribe 10' rollup. I hated that rollup. Water always sloshing around and it was difficult to keep it inflated hard enough. I would get in the damn dinghy and it was like walking on a marshmellow. Lots of photo opportunities.
I will take the inconvenience of a hard bottom especially at that size where the rollup does not save you tons of room. Unless your boat is 40' or more it's difficult to store.
I dive and fish so the hard bottom with bow locker is fantastic. Add in the larger tubes and superb construction of Achilles and I'm happy!
Reality is, EVERYTHING and I do mean EVERYTHING on a yacht is a trade-off/compromise.

Hopwever, that said, you are "spot on" Mate, a roll-up/inflatable bottom is the equivalent of a SD (use your imagination) LOL
Old 01-07-2010, 12:36   #40

Boat: Valiant 40 - Grebe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
I'll second the opinion on Zodiac. Keep in mind that West Marine inflatables are made by Zodiac. I had a West Marine model and the floor fell out when the glue failed.

Now I have an Achilles with the roll up aluminum floor. So far, so good.

Rich
I'm shopping for an inflatable and saw your post from last year. Am looking closely at the Achilles with the roll up aluminum floor. Are you still happy with yours? Is the fold up size about what they promise?
Thanks!
Richard
Gruntled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:03   #41

Re: Inflatable Dinghies - Recommendations ?

I have a Duras 10x4. After 10 months of use in the Bahamas it's falling apart. All the attachments are failing. The D rings even did fail. As for support from Duras there is none. So there 5 years supposed warranty is crap. Stay away from that product.
dancor01 is offline   Reply With Quote