Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2012, 15:22   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Re: Inflatable Kayak Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowshoes View Post
Daddle, thanks for your input on the Advanceframe kayak - I was hoping to get some input from an owner, as I'm definitely considering one.

There isn't much information on how they fold up. Is it a pretty easy process and is the folded kayak a pretty small package? Do you have the single or double seat model? My boat is only a 32 footer, so space is always at a premium.

Thanks for any further info/opinions.

Bill
Bill,

The Advanced Frame single folds up to 30" x 17" x 10" in the duffel bag. The 1 year warranty is taken case by case. I recently replaced a main tube on a customers 2004 Advanced Frame because it has a small split developing. As long as the kayak has not been abused/damaged then we will always stand by our product regardless of the year.

Rich
AE Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 07:53   #17

Just sold my AdvancedElements Convertible. Loved it.

Some thoughts:
- buy an optional backbone - it's a must. Handles much better, especially on waves;
- good enough for a week-long touring alone, wouldn't go any smaller;
- good enough for a day trip for two, but no space for any gear other than on top in dry sacks;
- personally, don't like seats... but that's better than nothing.
- internal tubes wrapped in nylon sack, so, a kinda puncture/cut resistant... the small problem is what they're attached to external shell with Velcro... mine was misaligned on factory and kayak wasn't go straight. Took 15 mins to figure out how to fix it and after that I forgot about that problem.
- I'll not say it's flyable... I mean, it's hard to pack all necessary things into provided bag & keep it within airlines weight allowance. Had to pay for overweight couple of times... and that's even without paddles. As of bag itself - its durable and handles all transfers well.

Overall - good compromise in comparison with hard-shells. Probably will buy an inflatable kayak again some day...
V.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 08:37   #18

Innova Swing. I had to wait for one last year but it was worth it. Go check the specs and I think you will see it is a great little kayak for the money. I have the single.
Having used it for a time I can give a little input on the kayak. Inflatable will always be a slug in the water compared to a hard shell but it’s worth it for the convenience. This kayak is stable in rough seas but does like to broach if you don’t stay on top of it. I have had it in 5 to 6 ft. seas with no issues. I have run it on and off a beach with four foot breakers and it did ok.
Buy the spray skirt; it did not come with the basic kayak. The seat is not terribly comfortable but functional. Zippers leak a little but seal up with beeswax or the like. Tough material. Good visible color. Hauls a fair amount of groceries or water when using as a tender.
It should have a bigger fin to help it from broaching. It rights itself ok. Spray skirt is pretty tight fit but needs more Velcro attachments than the company used to fasten skirt to the kayak. Quality valves with replacement parts available. Should be easy to patch but I have no experience as of yet!
Easy to get in and out of the water off the boat. Short enough to store on deck while anchored. I sewed up a stuff sack out of old spinnaker material to keep it out of the sun when left inflated on the deck.
Good luck.
um saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 11:48   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.R. View Post
Just sold my AdvancedElements Convertible. Loved it.

Some thoughts:
- buy an optional backbone - it's a must. Handles much better, especially on waves;
- good enough for a week-long touring alone, wouldn't go any smaller;
- good enough for a day trip for two, but no space for any gear other than on top in dry sacks;
- personally, don't like seats... but that's better than nothing.
- internal tubes wrapped in nylon sack, so, a kinda puncture/cut resistant... the small problem is what they're attached to external shell with Velcro... mine was misaligned on factory and kayak wasn't go straight. Took 15 mins to figure out how to fix it and after that I forgot about that problem.
- I'll not say it's flyable... I mean, it's hard to pack all necessary things into provided bag & keep it within airlines weight allowance. Had to pay for overweight couple of times... and that's even without paddles. As of bag itself - its durable and handles all transfers well.

Overall - good compromise in comparison with hard-shells. Probably will buy an inflatable kayak again some day...

I bought the Advanced Elements convertible a couple of weeks ago. I haven't tried it out yet (other than putting it together and inflating it) since I'm behind on getting our boat in the water. - horrible spring weather set us back.

I did get the backbone and I ordered the newly redesigned single and tandem decks for it as well (they just incorporated a bit of storage options in both decks).

You didn't elaborate on how to realign the inner tubes with their fabric shells. I don't know if this will ever be an issue for me or not, but any tips on how to do it should misalignment occur? Did you ever flip it? If so, do you have any tips for getting back aboard - I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the kayak - it's always helpful to get some info on equipment from current or prior owners.
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 13:57   #20
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
I bought the Advanced Elements convertible a couple of weeks ago. I haven't tried it out yet (other than putting it together and inflating it) since I'm behind on getting our boat in the water. - horrible spring weather set us back....
Hey, that's one of the advantages of having a kayak; you can get out on the water anytime!

Sail Delmarva: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105 / Another Toy
Old 16-05-2013, 14:02   #21

Quote:
I bought the Advanced Elements convertible a couple of weeks ago. I haven't tried it out yet (other than putting it together and inflating it) since I'm behind on getting our boat in the water. - horrible spring weather set us back.
Congrats! Yeah, weather sucks...

Quote:
I did get the backbone and I ordered the newly redesigned single and tandem decks for it as well (they just incorporated a bit of storage options in both decks).
When you assemble it with backbone, put the backbone inside, inflate the tube a bit... then align the backbone right along the middle seam... you can also feel where is the fin placed under the bottom, backbone should be placed right on top... Then inflate the tube as per spec.

Quote:
You didn't elaborate on how to realign the inner tubes with their fabric shells. I don't know if this will ever be an issue for me or not, but any tips on how to do it should misalignment occur? Did you ever flip it? If so, do you have any tips for getting back aboard - I'd love to hear them.
Ok,
1 - It's much easier to do in four hands, ask someone to help. Inflate both tubes, I'll say on 1/2 or 2/3 of spec pressure, and detach them from shell... they attached to the shell with velcro. Then, realign them so the tube will be symmetrical to the middle seam of the shell. Do that in parallel on both sides (that's why it easier to have some extra hands)
2 -Watch the shell, there should be no any wrinkles on it. If they appear, detach velcro & attach it again... After couple of attempts, I finally found the right position...
3. Don't think, what if you align velcro on tubes & shell that will be the right position... in my case it wasn't After my alignment velcro on tubes & on shell was misplaced by an inch, but after that kayak finally went straight... before that it had tendency to turn right on it's own
Old 17-05-2013, 18:29   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.R. View Post
Congrats! Yeah, weather sucks...

When you assemble it with backbone, put the backbone inside, inflate the tube a bit... then align the backbone right along the middle seam... you can also feel where is the fin placed under the bottom, backbone should be placed right on top... Then inflate the tube as per spec.

Ok,
1 - It's much easier to do in four hands, ask someone to help. Inflate both tubes, I'll say on 1/2 or 2/3 of spec pressure, and detach them from shell... they attached to the shell with velcro. Then, realign them so the tube will be symmetrical to the middle seam of the shell. Do that in parallel on both sides (that's why it easier to have some extra hands)
2 -Watch the shell, there should be no any wrinkles on it. If they appear, detach velcro & attach it again... After couple of attempts, I finally found the right position...
3. Don't think, what if you align velcro on tubes & shell that will be the right position... in my case it wasn't After my alignment velcro on tubes & on shell was misplaced by an inch, but after that kayak finally went straight... before that it had tendency to turn right on it's own

V.R.

Been busy with work the past couple days, so I haven't had ant time to reply. I just wanted to thank you for the info and tips for the A.E. convertible - it's much appreciated.
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 06:26   #23

Quote:
V.R.
Been busy with work the past couple days, so I haven't had ant time to reply. I just wanted to thank you for the info and tips for the A.E. convertible - it's much appreciated.
U R welcome!
Finally, did you try it?
Old 26-06-2013, 17:08   #24

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

Hi all,

Based on reading this thread a while back, I purchased an Advanced Elements Expedition from REI at their used equipment sale. Paid $280 for it, and it came with the backbone. I finally tried it out yesterday and was very pleasantly surprised by how fast it was. Granted, I was inside the marina, so the water was smooth, but it was still fast and smooth.
I left it inflated on my boat, because it seems like it might be a pain to break it down and dry it out after each use. I have two of the plastic ones also, but I bought this for my trip, as I also don't want to have the big plastic on deck during a passage.

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 17:34   #25

Boat: IP 40

Well, they're not inflatable, but I had a chance to do some ocean paddling in a Foldbot a few years ago in Belize and I must say they paddle very nicely. Once I'm in the market for a packable kayak I'll probably go that route. They have quit a few options, probably worth a look.

Folbot
ErBrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inflatable, Kayak