Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2022, 13:35   #1

Inflatable paddle boards- how large to hold 2 people sitting/kayak style

With the prevalence of paddle boards & associated lower cost , and used market, I’m considering adding a “lightweight” (as possible) yet large inflatable paddle board as a 2nd dinghy.

The criteria would be that it can float 2 adults in a pinch and maybe a dog and or gear- say 350lbs , but normally solo.

Is such a thing out there? How many ft long or cubic inches of volume required for this task in real world calm harbor conditions? How much does this larger board weigh?

I’d be leaning towards more generic affordable options than custom high end types, but if there is a big weight savings I might splurge a little to get bare board weight down around or under 20-22lbs

Thanks for any input!
purvisgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2022, 15:49   #2

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Re: Inflatable paddle boards- how large to hold 2 people sitting/kayak style

Google is your friend..."large inflatable sup" revealed the Gili 12' / 15' MANTA RAY MULTI-PERSON INFLATABLE STAND UP PADDLE BOARD.

Not quite sure why one would consider a sup as a dinghy...but I guess it beats a coracle.
Old 26-08-2022, 16:02   #3

That huge one seems like overkill. If you are sticking with Gill, this one looks better: https://www.gilisports.com/products/...p-paddle-board
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 13:30   #4

I did say double duty as a “second dinghy” not a primary one. I’ve seen plenty of sailboats carrying paddle boards- inflatable or not, lately.

I enjoy stand up paddle boarding, as do a lot of people.

I don’t want google ranked ads & reviews, but personal experiences. but you’re right I could’ve narrowed down my criteria as to what “size” /displacement is realistic or required to float upto ~350lbs + to shore , further. I’m thinking very generally speaking this is around ~11-12ft depending on beam & displacement

I’ve been on various paddle boards and inflatable paddle boards, point being I don’t need or want a giant 2 person or “yoga type” or extra large cruising type board, but the minimum deflated size & weight that will still do the job with two people sitting on the board cross legged. If it’s sitting a little low in the water for “efficient” stand up paddle boarding with this load, that’s perfectly fine for my intended use.. as of course most of the time it’ll have only one person.

I guess I should’ve gone with the multihull forum where people understand my desire to save a few pounds at nearly any cost. I’d love to find a ~20lb bare board instead of a ~30-35lb bare board that would do this job, basically.

Clicking through specs can take significant time to find this info, and manufacturers don’t always represent the info accurately especially with all the cheaper and “rebranded”/etc options that have sprung up in the last 2-5 years.

I was hoping others had already gone down this path but I guess not so much..

Again, any further input greatly appreciated
purvisgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 14:25   #5

Boat: Sabre 28

As it happens, I just used my Atoll 11' board with two people for the first time yesterday. Inflatable, 21 lbs, has a nice kayak accessory kit (seat + extra paddle blade). I didn't bother with the seat this time, just used the double-bladed paddle.

We used it in lieu of the dinghy to land on shore 1/4 nm away in mirror-like water. Worked perfectly. Two people, some shoes and water probably totaled 325 pounds. The board was about half below the water's surface and half above, maybe a touch higher. We landed, chucked the board in the bushes, went for a great walk. It was a nice way to start the day without having to hear/smell the two-stroke and tie off a dinghy (in a 10' tidal range).

This would have been a wet ride in any sort of breeze but was perfect for the occasion. No affiliation with Atoll, just a happy customer.
randomgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 23:10   #6

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomgoat View Post
As it happens, I just used my Atoll 11' board with two people for the first time yesterday. Inflatable, 21 lbs, has a nice kayak accessory kit (seat + extra paddle blade). I didn't bother with the seat this time, just used the double-bladed paddle.
How do you find the kayak seat?
Useful or more of a gimmick / upsell?
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 02:23   #7

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

We bought a Tahe Sup-YAK 2 person model and we have really enjoyed it. It's 11'6". You can check out several videos about it on my YouTube channel. It's held up extremely well and it's very versatile with 2 seats and multiple ways to set it up. I added a trolling motor rig of my own making which makes longer journeys or working against a current easier. I would definitely add it to any cruising we do as a 2nd/backup dinghy.

Old 30-08-2022, 06:11   #8

Boat: Sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
How do you find the kayak seat?
Useful or more of a gimmick / upsell?

Somewhere in the middle. The seat seems to work well enough, though I haven't used it much personally as I prefer standing. A shirt or towel as lumbar support goes a long way, but that may be unnecessary if I spent some time dialing in the straps that attach it and give it shape.

While imperfect, it can make the board more approachable for people who are less comfortable with the instability of a paddle board. Also gets occasional use on the odd river trip. For my purposes it's worth having.
randomgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 06:22   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I watch real hardy folk paddle board out to Leslie’ Spit in Toronto’s outer harbour where a small boat often gets a taste of Lake Ontario power. It’s a wet hard ride in our Dinghy or even my over powered run about.
My Grandsons have a paddle board they shared cause the little guy is nervous around the water and his huge older broth is a great guy. That said the little guy has his own board now. His own balance and skill set Dog on a board is a natural. This started 20,000 years ago it’s just a new activity.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inflatable, Kayak