Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2010, 11:49   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Inflating Fenders

My boat has about 8 fenders, 5 x Size 4, and 3 x Size 5.
The larger ones inflate OK, with a push in adapter, but I cannot figure out the valve on the smaller ones.
It looks like a back rubber circle about 1/4 inch diamater, with a plain white nylon "plug" within the rubber. It does not appear to be able to be prised out. It is not slotted to take a screw driver, In fact it looks fixed in place.
Anyone know anything about these fenders, and how to inflate. There is no makers name on the fender
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 13:28   #2

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
Most fenders I have seen require a "pin" type inflator. The same kind that's used for footballs, basketballs, soccer bals, etc.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 06:23   #3

Boat: Nordic Tug 37
My Taylor-made fenders use the typical pin-shaped ball-inflator, but last summer I bought a new one with the white plug like you're describing.

The supplier used a compressor with a trigger blower attachment on the hose, but he had a cone-shaped piece of rubber around the ~ 1/3" tubular end of the thing. He unscrewed the plug, pressed the rubber cone into the hole on the fender, and pumped air.

I've been trying to come up with a similar-shaped appliance for my on-board hand pump. Any ideas?
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 18:09   #4

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
ball point pen? Take it apart, and tape the end to your airpump.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 18:53   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Rubber tip air nozzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoon View Post
My Taylor-made fenders use the typical pin-shaped ball-inflator, but last summer I bought a new one with the white plug like you're describing.

The supplier used a compressor with a trigger blower attachment on the hose, but he had a cone-shaped piece of rubber around the ~ 1/3" tubular end of the thing. He unscrewed the plug, pressed the rubber cone into the hole on the fender, and pumped air.

I've been trying to come up with a similar-shaped appliance for my on-board hand pump. Any ideas?
You can get them at WW Grainger or at most auto parts.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:26   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

After much prodding and poking, and having others take a look, the conclusion is that the valves are "sealed for life sh¤te", and not a very long life at that.
Time to dust out the wallet
Old 02-02-2010, 17:43   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Nigel- don't give up man! I like a puzzle like this. Put them in the cold,(maybe a freezer) so they are the most deflated they will ever be- then insert a large needle attached to a bike pump. I would spear them in the thick plastic part you mentioned.
Inflate, then superglue over the top of the tiny hole. Do not stick you finger to the super glue- use a piece of newsprint or something. Then let them inflate fully with warming.
Warning- these are just ideas- I have not done this in real life
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 09:57   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Got it sorted

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Nigel- don't give up man! I like a puzzle like this. Put them in the cold,(maybe a freezer) so they are the most deflated they will ever be- then insert a large needle attached to a bike pump. I would spear them in the thick plastic part you mentioned.
Inflate, then superglue over the top of the tiny hole. Do not stick you finger to the super glue- use a piece of newsprint or something. Then let them inflate fully with warming.
Warning- these are just ideas- I have not done this in real life

Finally got it sorted, had to buy, for what they were, expensive inflation valves from the makers of a certain brand of fenders. These are little brass N/R valves, with barbs.
Drilled a 4mm hole in the top of the fender, coated valve with sikaflex, and pushed valves in to place.
Now got a whole heap of workable fenders, not that they stopped the 50 foot motor cruiser from busting my stanchions when he drifted down on me on the pontoon
Old 02-02-2011, 07:15   #9

If you can't fill the ones with the valve (has a Phillips looking head) remove the valve with a Phillips screwdriver and wipe the rubber end with a little oil. The rubber tip is actually a valve that the compressor must overcome and opens letting the air into the fender. If the rubber has hardened they won't open.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote