Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2016, 08:48   #46

Boat: Ericson 381 (formerly E32-3)
Re: Jerry Cans - What Are the Best

I made jug racks which get the plastic fuel cans off the rail, so they don't impede movement past the shrouds.

Details here: Fuel Jugs, Bookshelf, Tell-Tale Compass - Blogs - EY.o Information Exchange
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel jug deck box.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	120545  
Old 12-03-2016, 08:51   #47

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgrant1 View Post
I need to buy jerry cans. Any recommendations as to brand. Would I be out of my mind to buy Jerry-brand steel cans? 5 Gallon (20 Liter) (Red) Steel Wavian Jerry Can (Spout Included) – Jerry Can
Rob,

We have been using the consumer Scepter 2.5 and 5 gallon tanks for years on land and our boats.

The reason is while they have the CARB compliant nozzle (i.e., it won't pour without activating a 'valve' on the nozzle...] their nozzles fit inside of the tank when not in use- yielding a cuboidal form factor that is very stout. The cap has a rack and pinion lock that works well to keep the cap from working itself open. [i.e., no leaks when sealed correctly.]

The nozzles do work, but I usually use a jiggle syphon because I'm lazy...

We also have one of the 5 gallon mounted under the aft platform of each our ATVs, and cover the plastic cap with a rubber plumbing coupling, which has a rubber plumbing cap inserted in the other end. We tighten the hose clamp on the rubber coupling around the base of the plastic gas can cap and have yet to have anything puncture one of these cans in thousands of miles of back country trail riding in Alaska.

We often find these in the box stores for around US$20- but not consistently... [Home Depot, Lowes, Wallmart, etc.]

Best wishes finding what will work best for you.

Cheers!

Bill

PS: I haven't read the entire thread so I don't know if this has already been mentioned...
Old 12-03-2016, 08:56   #48

Boat: Beneteau OC 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
Yes, that's the source for the cans. On my trip two,years ago, I couldn't find good yellow ones when I needed them so I bought red ones that I put some yellow tape around. The Midwest is the best I've found, but I have since bought caps from Amazon that fit the cans and I just keep a single spout on board in case I might need one. I had 5 cans on the rail from Kentucky Lake to SW Florida and return, about 2,800 miles and they worked great. In 4 to 6 foot waves off shore, they didn't move an inch.Attachment 120541Attachment 120542Attachment 120543
This also shows the end of the board and how I attached it. You can see the difference in how the Blitz and Midwest cans with two handles are much better secured.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Looks good and even with shipping, cheaper than Amazon.
robgrant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:57   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Yes, looks like a no-go in the U.S. Might go to Canada for them if I can find a distributor nearby.
This is because the new crapo spill-proof dribble cans are mandated now. None other are permitted to be sold. They are designed for awkward two-hand use on cars with fillers on a vertical side panel. Like all things FED, they never considered any other use such as a deck port on a boat where at least three hands are now required. The siphon is the only way to use these.

We still have a legacy of several large old style plastic cans but with 380 gallons of tankage, I'm not sure why we bother.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:02   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceano View Post
I made jug racks which get the plastic fuel cans off the rail, so they don't impede movement past the shrouds.

Details here: Fuel Jugs, Bookshelf, Tell-Tale Compass - Blogs - EY.o Information Exchange
Clever! I like the bookshelf too.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:14   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Rob,

We have been using the consumer Scepter 2.5 and 5 gallon tanks for years on land and our boats.

The reason is while they have the CARB compliant nozzle (i.e., it won't pour without activating a 'valve' on the nozzle...] their nozzles fit inside of the tank when not in use- yielding a cuboidal form factor that is very stout. The cap has a rack and pinion lock that works well to keep the cap from working itself open. [i.e., no leaks when sealed correctly.]

The nozzles do work, but I usually use a jiggle syphon because I'm lazy...

We also have one of the 5 gallon mounted under the aft platform of each our ATVs, and cover the plastic cap with a rubber plumbing coupling, which has a rubber plumbing cap inserted in the other end. We tighten the hose clamp on the rubber coupling around the base of the plastic gas can cap and have yet to have anything puncture one of these cans in thousands of miles of back country trail riding in Alaska.

We often find these in the box stores for around US$20- but not consistently... [Home Depot, Lowes, Wallmart, etc.]

Best wishes finding what will work best for you.

Cheers!

Bill

PS: I haven't read the entire thread so I don't know if this has already been mentioned...
Thanks Bill! I'm leaning towards the Midwest jugs recommended by J Clark Midwest Can 5 Gal. Diesel Container - Mills Fleet Farm. Others have recommended the Scepter (don't you dare say Jerry) gerry cans, but I like the price of the Midwest Gerries.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:18   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
BTW, it should be spelled with a G, Gerry Can. The name comes from the Brit's nickname Gerry for the Germans. The German fuel storage cans supplied to Rommel in the African Campaign were way better than those the Brit's had. The Brits used thin metal fuel cans that were prone to failure when subjected to transport across the North African Desert. The German ones were the heavy duty pattern we are familiar with and were copied by the Brits and US. The Brits scoured the desert looking for abandoned German Cans they could find to have safe storage during the desert war.

Have a Blitz Can that actually has a spout that works. It's a spigot with a lever valve that lets you put the spout in the tank fill and then press on the valve to begin pouring. The valve can also be locked open so you don't have to keep your hand on the spigot valve. Having said that, trying to hold a five gallon Gerry Jug to pour into a tank is a total PITA and with any motion nearly impossible. The shake syphons work really well.
Ha, I only do what Google tells me! Blitz can? All these German references are making me nervous
Old 12-03-2016, 09:37   #53

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Regular spouts still available in Canada.Fuel Can Spout | Princess Auto

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/wedco-spout

http://ezpourspout.com/compatible-cans/

Suggest using a 2-3ft length of 1" red multi purpose hose.
Slide hose over spout tightly.
Insert hose in deck fill.
Lift container & pour--No spill.

Both Wedco & Scepter brand FUEL cans are available in Canada.
The Scepter ones all seem to have the "self venting" leaky spout.

Wedco & Scepter spouts are not interchangeable.

http://www.theplasticsgroup.net/fuel...rs_ca.php?id=4
http://www.theplasticsgroup.net/pdfs/wedco.pdf

http://www.walmart.ca/en/wedco/N-1023537
Old 12-03-2016, 09:54   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI View Post
The super siphon's are the ticket. It's a major pain trying to pour from a jerry can into a funnel with any breeze. You end up with as much fuel on deck as in the funnel. Also it makes fueling a one person job. Nobody holding the funnel blocking the wind and one person trying to pour a full 5-6 gallon can. Their great pieces. Wish I'd invented them!!!

A better way is to insert a larger dia. stiffer hose into the can and fuel tank, then pressurize the fuel can by cupping the opening with your hands and blowing into it. The fuel will flow through the tube without touching any of it, much faster than the super siphon.

I also saw a video of a kid sealing the opening with a rag, then pushing on the sides of the fuel jug to force fuel out of the hose. After it passed the opening, the siphon started. Very slick.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:13   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC45 View Post
I worked for a fuel company in Everett WA Nelson Petroleum . they sold fuel cans like racing bottles, tall slim, heavy plastic, Large screw on opening with vent that snapped open/close , came with a screw in hose. never leaked. easy to fill and hold, Used if for over 6 yrs with no problem. the hose was over 3 ft, and was made with heavy clear plastic. They were 5 gal's and can empty in less than 10 secs if your fuel line can handle it. and it emptied the entire can.. really great to have. I see they nolonger show this being sold, so Racing Summit has identical item. here it is.
RJS Five Gallon Fuel/Liquid Jugs 20000304

Those RJS jugs are nearly identical to the generic Summit jugs I bought, except the Summit jugs were about $22/ea with free shipping over $100, so I bought 5. Oddly enough, they don't show up on Summit's site, but they are on Ebay. This is the only style I use for my offroad toys and diesel.

They won't dump 5 gal in 10 sec, more like 2 min due to the small vent hole, but that's fine with me. Any faster than that and it's very difficult to stop in time when the tank is full and prevent spillage.

There are racing dump cans designed with a huge vent that will dump in a few seconds, but they're really expensive, designed for pit crews on race teams, not what one really needs on a boat.

These are the ones I bought, they don't come with hoses for that price, but I bought the PVC fittings and clear hose for a few $$ at the local home improvement store.

Summit Racing Utility Jug Square 5 Gallons Plastic Purple Each | eBay
Old 12-03-2016, 10:18   #56

Quote:
Maybe a little pricey compared to other plastic fuel containers, but worth it you think?
These are the same, but less than half price. The vendor appears to be Summit racing.

I've bought VP jugs, and several different jugs that all looked just like these, but these have the best quality threads on the neck of any jug I've ever used. This makes it much easier to remove/install the cap and allows you to seal it on the o-ring without massive overtightening, which all of the others suffered from. These are by far the best quality jugs of this type I've ever bought. The only down side is the purple color, but that's no big deal.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:33   #57

Those Midwest jugs look pretty good for only $10 ea. Compared to the Summit jugs, the Summit jugs are a little thicker plastic (probably 5 lbs ea vs 3 lbs) and a little taller so they take up less deck space per jug, but those are pretty minor differences for being less than half the price. Hard to beat that!
Old 12-03-2016, 10:42   #58

Re: Gerry Cans - What Are the Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
These are the same, but less than half price. The vendor appears to be Summit racing.

I've bought VP jugs, and several different jugs that all looked just like these, but these have the best quality threads on the neck of any jug I've ever used. This makes it much easier to remove/install the cap and allows you to seal it on the o-ring without massive overtightening, which all of the others suffered from. These are by far the best quality jugs of this type I've ever bought. The only down side is the purple color, but that's no big deal.

Geez, that's a pretty hearty endorsement...but I can get 4 (Yellow with the lousy spouts) Midwest jugs for $47.91, including shipping. Add on the jug caps from Amazon for $31.80 and the grand total comes to $79.71. Four Summits, with shipping, will cost me $97.83...hmmm
Old 12-03-2016, 10:46   #59

The California (yup!) Air Resources Board (CARB) started this fuel can nonsense over 10 years ago. It is a damned shame it's spread all over.

Chuck Hawley, who posts here, used to be West Marine's products guru. He wrote a fantastic article, published all over, about the stupidity of the design. None of his warnings, now experienced by all of us who have ever tried to use the damn things, was heeded.

They spill more than the old ones. A solution to a non-existent problem that actually made things worse.

I'm so glad I kept my old fuel jugs.

See reply #34, here, since this thread is just another one of the many on this topic:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-134967-3.html
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:48   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Those Midwest jugs look pretty good for only $10 ea. Compared to the Summit jugs, the Summit jugs are a little thicker plastic (probably 5 lbs ea vs 3 lbs) and a little taller so they take up less deck space per jug, but those are pretty minor differences for being less than half the price. Hard to beat that!
Ah yes, but don't forget you need to buy the replacement caps for the Midwest jugs, another $7.95 per jug from Amazon. To get free shipping, you need to add another $17.20 to your order. Decisions, decisions