Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2016, 04:54   #76

Boat: Beneteau OC 41
Re: Jerry Cans - What Are the Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney21 View Post
I didnt think anyone would buy the old style steel Jerry Can , I am not sure but I have a feeling they are not sold in Auz. You must buy the ones with the locking pin across the top of the lid this stops the lid from coming open. I cannot imagine someone maybe 1000ks from land and they have their emergency fuel in a plastic can they bought for $20 with a spare lid for $7.50 come on guys ,are you looking to create an emergency.
Here is a Link to an Australian company who manufacture fuel bladders to requirement. Just by the way you dont need a pump to transfer fuel if you can arrange it so you can put your foot on it, how easy is that?
FlexiMake
What a mess though if they were to rupture in the rapture of the sea Where do you store them? How difficult is it to refill them if you have to dinghy them from shore to boat or, heaven forbid, carry them into town.

At any rate, I found them in the US at this site: https://readycontainment.com/store-2...=0&sort=normal
robgrant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 05:04   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney21 View Post
Plastic ones will crack with continuous motion/ vibration I have never had any success with them ,The motion and jarring and expansion and contraction will split them.
Use Lined metal ones then get your self some closed cell foam put the foam between the drums and what you are lashing them to to stop rubbing,at least then when the time comes to use the fuel it will be there.
Have you thought of fuel bladders? you can have them made to order, you can even tow them behind. The military use them . You just have a fitting made to suit a small electric pump for evacuation of the fuel , when they are empty you can lay them on the floor if space is an issue. Where are you? ie Country?
Checking them out now. In the US, where I am, it looks like they're available at this site: https://readycontainment.com/store-2...=0&sort=normal

When full, I would guess they'd be hard to move, i.e. in dinghy from to shore to boat. Have to find a good storage location (would you dare store them in a locker, probably not). Can't imagine having to deal with the rupture of a 20 gallon bladder.
Old 13-03-2016, 05:12   #78

Here's a US site for a similar product (https://readycontainment.com/store-2...=0&sort=normal). These bladders don't appear to have handles and even if they did, they'd be tough to move when full. They do have a certain appeal, but of course if a 20 gallon bladder were to break...
Old 13-03-2016, 06:00   #79

Came across this article evaluating fuel bladders pros and cons.
Marine Fuel Bladders | Boating Magazine
Old 13-03-2016, 07:05   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgrant1 View Post
Came across this article evaluating fuel bladders pros and cons.
Marine Fuel Bladders | Boating Magazine
Here's the site for ATL bladders with an FAQ that provides some answers: No below-decks storage unless empty and no transporting from shore to boat via dinghy. No sure how much of an impediment that would be when cruising in the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

Marine Gas/Diesel/JP-8 Fuel Bladder Tanks and FueLockers for Extended Range