Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 11:23   #16

Boat: Little Harbor 58
Re: Lifting a Heavy RIB using Spinnaker Pole Setup?

TMT2

If you choose to use the topping lift raising the pole tip to center the dingy, you will need a down haul on the pole as well. At some point the pole will pass a point of now return if you don't. In my post above, I maybe didn't explain well enough that I tie a 1/4" line roughly 10 feet long to the tip of the pole with a turning block (small) on the other end that takes the halyard line thru it. I have it measured to be long enough to reach the center ring of the bridal, and long enough to lower the dingy over the side without touching the boat with the pole level. What it is doing is bringing the hoisting halyard back to more or less center of the pole rather than the tip of the pole. The topping lift just manages keeping the pole in control. To hoist, I raise the tip of the pole with the topping lift to a shallower angle to get the halyard line over the center point. If I used the tip of the pole, it would be a very steep angle to center the line and difficult to pull down with the boat on it.

Avon could probably give you the dimensions on a three point bridal that will fit your model of boat. AB did it for me. I used 1/8 inch wire rope, a 1/4 inch ring and nicro pressed the lines to the ring on one end and shackles on the other three ends. The dingy already and tie down pad eyes on the stern, and I added a pad eye on the inside bow. It hangs level when hoisted. I leave the motor on the dingy. I ordered the chocks from EMT in Ft Lauderdale, and they had the template for the dingy model I have.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:11   #17

Boat: 1975 Gulfstar M53

Thanks FlightPlan...I understand your design now that you've cleared it up. I will sniff at EMT for the chock templates, however, I am more interested in something that will come apart/fold away so the foredeck can be completely clear when the RIB is in the water (in use). I plan to sink retractable anchor points into the cabin sole and use a turn-buckle arrangement for final anchoring legs. I do have lift eyes in the RIB (4-point) already - just have to work out the balance on the rig for a clean-level lift. That 25HP Yahama 4-stroke will likely make her a bit "aft-heavy" on the lift even though I've got the helm, battery and tank centered in the RIB. Ought to be an exciting experiment and I am sure there will be much trial and error in the "tuning" of it all.

TMT2
Gulfstar M53
s/v TAKE ME THERE!
Tampa, FL
TMT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 13:51   #18

TMT2

I just noticed you are in Tampa. I moor Sovereignty at Longboat Key Club Moorings.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:01   #19

FlightPlan - Yes...we keep the boat in old Tampa Harbor just below the Gandy Bridge. I am scrambling to get her ready for a trip up the East Coast to the Chesapeake in case I take a job up there for a while - I am retiring after 30 years in the Military...wife and I are excited about doing some real cruising soon. We tripped down to Marina Jacks via Longboat Pass last fall for a week...gets kind of "skinny" in North Sarasota Bay for a boat our size but we are fortunate to draw only 4ft 11in on a full keel. Putting a lot of energy into the RIB set-up as it becomes the "commuter" vehicle, run-about and cargo-hauler.

TMT2
Gulfstar M53
s/v TAKE ME THERE!
Tampa, FL
Old 06-02-2014, 05:19   #20

The equipment you have will no doubt take the loads. The concern is to have your lifting bridle so that the dinghy raises level with the motor, and the load is unable to shift aft. I had to use lifting straps of different lengths to "lock" the lifting load so that no matter what the wind/sea state, the dinghy would lift level. My set up is quite a bit lighter than yours, but the principle is the same... Will be interested in seeing yor pics.......
D.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:37   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT2 View Post
FlightPlan - Yes...we keep the boat in old Tampa Harbor just below the Gandy Bridge. I am scrambling to get her ready for a trip up the East Coast to the Chesapeake in case I take a job up there for a while - I am retiring after 30 years in the Military...wife and I are excited about doing some real cruising soon. We tripped down to Marina Jacks via Longboat Pass last fall for a week...gets kind of "skinny" in North Sarasota Bay for a boat our size but we are fortunate to draw only 4ft 11in on a full keel. Putting a lot of energy into the RIB set-up as it becomes the "commuter" vehicle, run-about and cargo-hauler.

TMT2
Gulfstar M53
s/v TAKE ME THERE!
Tampa, FL
I can't get under Ringling Bridge with my 82 foot mast. But I use Longboat Pass all the time. It is skinny water and some tough current to be cautious of getting in and out of there. I draw 5.5 feet with board up.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:57   #22

FlightPlan - At 63ft (our mast)...we were nervous about getting under the Ringling on our trip so we anchored on the North side near the museum and dinghy'd in using our small Water Tender 8.8 and a 2.5HP 2-stroke. We couldn't see any water depth markings on the bridge pilings so we didn't risk it even though charted at 65ft - tides were unusually high that month with both moon and Mars on same side. We didn't have the RIB then either...would have been really nice to "zip" in with what we have now. Stability and speed are a great benefit to the RIB/Helm/Motor combo we have now...the former dinghy was nice but just didn't have the carrying capacity we wanted to haul 2 x folding bikes, groceries and the two of us - plus we like the range potential to explore a bit.

I agree on the lifting bridle balance - and I will share pictures/video when I am done experimenting. I will keep you posted.

TMT2
Gulfstar M53
s/v TAKE ME THERE!
Tampa, FL
Old 06-02-2014, 07:01   #23

D.D. - Good point - still have to work out the "less than perfect" conditions lift - right now...experimenting in the slip (nice and calm)...then we will graduate to some more challenging conditions.

TMT2
Gulfstar M53
s/v TAKE ME THERE!
Tampa, FL

Tags
lift, rib, spinnaker