Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2016, 12:53   #1

Light Weight Skiff

I have a Pearson 35, which has fine lines fore and aft and thus is subject to hobby-horsing. A skiff hanging on davits would be far too much weight. I have looked at RIBS which are lightweight and could be placed on the deck forward of the mast. I want to scuba dive in the problem with a RIB beyond the high price is that the interior dimensions are far less than they outside dimensions. Does anyone know where one could get a lightweight skiff say 10 feet LOA 4 foot beam @200 lbs. Does anyone nowhere you could get plans for such a skiff?
pdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 13:02   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Light Weight Skiff

Plans, & even kits, abound for such skiffs. But the issue with them will be that they're not as stable as are RIBs, nor can they carry equivalent loads. But you can build them as light as 35-45lbs, depending on construction.

Check out the PT11, & PT Spear at www.PTwatercraft.com & look up Danny Green's Chameleon (dinghy), or Dave Gerr's Nester (dinghy). To name but a couple of popular ones.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 14:12   #3

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I quite like bolgers Bee step sharpie if you want to go fast in a simple plywood boat. Of course you are always going to trade weight for strength, so going fast in a big seaway in a light boat might get nasty..

Fenders can be used as extra bouyancy around the sides to make a quasi RIB.

But for scuba work it would be hard to beat a rib or an inflatable, if space is an issue you can go a bigger inflatable and deflate it for longer trips.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 24-11-2016, 08:33   #4

I have a similar issues, a Tartan 30 with limited deck space. I am thinking once one gets to a ceftain weight of motor and rib......in for a penny in for a pound. So i am thinki g of a Caribe ub 12. This weighs 400 lbs plus a 30 etec motor at 150 lbs is 600lbs. But i am assuming to deal with 600 pounds will require the same tactics as dealing with 270 pounds....both are beyond our capability to man, woman handle.
Towing it most of the time and for crossing open ocean, winch motor and rib seperatly on deck to secure.
Just thinking though that it might be impossible to fit a 400 lb 12 ft rib in front of the mast.
Maybe i need a new boat
ramminjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 08:59   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

A few reasons why you really should be looking for a RIB:

1) With a RIB you sit ON the tubes, so you in fact have much more space than just the interior.

2) If you're scuba diving, good luck getting in and out of a small skiff without swamping it, or lifting tanks in and out of the boat. A RIB is much safer and more capable platform for scuba than any hard body dink, hands down.

3) 200 lbs. may seem like a manageable weight but trust me it's going to be a lot harder than a 100 lb. rib to get on and off the boat. Also, you can deflate the RIB and even a hard bottomed one with a folding transom is going to pack fairly compactly on your foredeck.

4) Used RIBs in good condition show up on Craigs List with some regularity, depending on where you are. Find a well cared for one and you'll come out a head in terms of time and money spent building a plywood skiff.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 11:41   #6

Negatory on that transmission. I have always used a flat bottom bateau or Pacific surf boat for diving, thousands in 40 years. You can stand on the the rail. Made out of African marine ply wood with modern design material a 12' can be built to weigh less than 100#s Send me an email and I'll give all the details. RIBs have far less usable interior and even the decent used ones cost a fortune. If you spent four or five thousand on a RIB, you have no choice but to believe that you have made the right decision.
I don't have the webpage address in front of me and besides I don't want to argue about it.
Peter at luxembergphd@gmail.com. this is a personal not commercial address
pdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 12:23   #7

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Have you looked at the Takacat inflatables made in NZ? I would think one of their models with the drop down front would be suitable.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 12:37   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am a fan of the PT11 Nesting Sailing Dinghy.

But, they are somewhat expensive if pre-built. You can make your own using their kit.

Another alternative that may be good for a small sailboat IF you don't want the RIB or inflatable is the Porta-Bote.

Here is a link to a video showing a woman in wetsuit entering the water from the BOW of the Porta-Bote and then climbing aboard from the BOW of the boat. It does not show tanks, but I would put them on a leash on the boat and pull them up later.

https://www.porta-bote.com/the-scuba-boat/

Disclaimer: I have not owned either of these boats. But, I have read a lot about them, watched several videos on each, read many comments from owners in this forum and others online, and consider them two of my favorites for my own future dinghy. As with anything like that, this is my opinion. Take it with a splash of saltwater, and do your own research too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 14:26   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I'm really wanting to try Dinghy Dogs or similar on something like the PT11. With the sticking point being that they're an obstruction as relates to the nesting feature, & the ability to take her apart. Thoughts on solutions to these issues?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 15:11   #10

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I have the same problem. Towing works but slows the boat alot. Soo, I am going to try an inflatable floor dink. It requires 60 psi in the floor so an electric pump is required. The idea is to inflate and deflate using the pump. If you deflate using the pump the dink will fit back in its storage bag... then it can be secured on the foredeck without hogging up the whole area.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 17:26   #11

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
... It requires 60 psi in the floor so an electric pump is required. The idea is to inflate and deflate using the pump. If you deflate using the pump the dink will fit back in its storage bag... then it can be secured on the foredeck without hogging up the whole area.

What kind of inflatable requires 60 psi in the floor? Mine requires 6-11 psi.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:27   #12

I am researching the Port a Bote. 10'5" LOA w/60" beam. It weighs 78lbs. These folding boats have come a long way. I plan to hang on davits except for longer passages when I'll fold it up and put it on deck. For $2199.00 I can't see a better option out there. My friend has the 8.5' model and it is a wonderful ride on such a light boat.

Lance St Pierre
"Canta Libre"
Sing Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:41   #13

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenton View Post
Negatory on that transmission. I have always used a flat bottom bateau or Pacific surf boat for diving, thousands in 40 years. You can stand on the the rail. Made out of African marine ply wood with modern design material a 12' can be built to weigh less than 100#s Send me an email and I'll give all the details. RIBs have far less usable interior and even the decent used ones cost a fortune. If you spent four or five thousand on a RIB, you have no choice but to believe that you have made the right decision.
I don't have the webpage address in front of me and besides I don't want to argue about it.
LOL I'm not going to argue, so don't worry, but my opinion is not based on an investment in what I have currently. Dismissing my point of view based on that assumption was pretty weird. Good luck with your search.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:12   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sing Free View Post
I am researching the Port a Bote. 10'5" LOA w/60" beam. It weighs 78lbs. These folding boats have come a long way. I plan to hang on davits except for longer passages when I'll fold it up and put it on deck. For $2199.00 I can't see a better option out there. My friend has the 8.5' model and it is a wonderful ride on such a light boat.

Lance St Pierre
"Canta Libre"
I’ve used my 10’ bote for going on a decade now. Has worked great for us. It is relatively light, very strong, stores well on our deck, rows ok, and moves easily with a small outboard. There’s even a rinky dink sailing rig which is fun to play with. And I’ve heard that it is less likely to be stolen since most people want inflatables.

The downsides are mostly around the assembly/disassembly aspect (we do it on deck in about 15 minutes … faster if need be). The high freeboard and relative lightness means she is affected by high winds more so than heavier inflatables. Storage space for not just the bote, but also the seats, is something to consider. I understand the new bote models have folding transoms, but in our model it also comes out and is stored with the seats.

Like most boaty things, it is a compromise choice that matches well with our our needs and mothership’s realities.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:37   #15

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenton View Post
Do you have a picture or are you willing to share basic dimensions ?
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote