Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2020, 07:08   #31

Re: Mercury or Tohatsu outboard motor?

All diesels are regulated in California. Depends on size and usage (stationary, marine, trucking), but they are regulated. There are a few diesel outboards available, but big and heavy, designed for commercial and military.

I've owned Hondas and Tohatsu. Least problems with Tohatsu.
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 10:57   #32

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Magic View Post
All diesels are regulated in California. Depends on size and usage (stationary, marine, trucking), but they are regulated. There are a few diesel outboards available, but big and heavy, designed for commercial and military.

I've owned Hondas and Tohatsu. Least problems with Tohatsu.
Coming from a lifetime in the trucking industry, I wonder how they do that? In the EuroVI and US2007 emission standards, diesel engines require some sort of exhaust scrubber (catalytic, EGR or similar) to comply with emission regs and even on the latest production boats, I’ve never seen anything like that. Maybe I just haven’t looked hard enough.

Interesting. Perhaps they do special builds for California.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 11:58   #33

Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)

Thanks everyone for all this input. It's made it easy for me to decide to buy the Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke. The one last clincher was that I called the shop that does service on them near my home in the US and they said they absolutely would service the two stroke and can get any parts they need. The guy even sounded a bit envious that I could buy one. The only issue is that the warranty won't be valid in the US, but again the tech said it's a rock solid engine and he rarely sees warranty work needed.

Looking forward to revving it up.

By the way, the extra pollution from this engine does give me some pain, but I had to balance out that truth with very real risk of injury to me or my wife with a heavier engine. Down in the Caribbean we use it a lot, but never leave it on the dinghy in the water at night, so we also hoist it a lot. That said I may go through two tanks of gas in a season there. Back home my boat is marina based mostly and we might spend only 30 nights a year on the hook somewhere, and maybe on only half of them do we use the dinghy. So I might use half a tank of gas in the season. So I feel a little better that we won't be major polluters.

I'll also add that we had a Torqeedo electric motor on our dinghy for a couple years back home and it just didn't have the usefulness we wanted, and the recharging time was way too long. Of course the ease of use was fantastic so it was perfect for my wife to take the dog ashore on her own (if the shore was close). We sadly no longer have a dog so that benefit is no longer important. Truth is if we did have a dog again I'd probably keep both the 9.8 and the electric on board, especially since the electric breaks down in a snap and is stored in our lazarette, not on the rail.

Thanks again for all the advice.
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 12:27   #34

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
I have a Mercury 15hp that is now probably nearly 20 years old. So far other than an ignition module failure 10 years ago it has run really well. My only beef with it is that the number of components that are mild steel and have rusted to a point of being unserviceable, is really disappointing. Example: the cylinder head bolt heads have now rusted to a point that they would have to be cut off if the head needed removal. I have replaced several bits that failed due to rust.

Given that most of these motors need to survive in a marine environment, the use of mild steel components is, in my view, unforgivable. So if Tohatsu motors and Mercury motors are built in the same factory, personally I wouldn’t buy either.
Your 20 year old Merc was made in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin and continued to be until very recently even though they were not sold in the US. I think Mercury kept that factory going mostly to supply class "A" racing motors and to supply foreign markets. Today all smaller Nissans, Tohatsu, and Mecurys are made in a jointly owned factory in Japan run by Tohatsu.

The old 8, 9.8, and 15hp two stroke Mercs are great motors, too bad about the rusting metal. I've had mine for 19 years and I love the motor. When it fails I will find another one somewhere. I've recently seen them in Mexico, Panama, and Columbia as well as overseas but since they are not making them anymore the supply is drying up.
Old 20-01-2020, 07:22   #35

Boat: Pearson 422

Same motor, all made by tohatsu
Longer warranty on tohatsu
Old 20-01-2020, 07:25   #36

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlespeed View Post
……..Saw the miniscule weight difference difference between the 9.8 and 18 HP Tohatsu two stroke. ……..
I fear you were misled. Tohatsu made a 9.9 two stroke that is the same engine as the 15 possibly with a different carburettor system. They also made a 9.8, which was the same engine (uprated) to the next smallest. Thus the 9.8 is significantly lighter than the 15.

I have the 9.8 and it is a great engine.

BTW Tohatsu made the base engine for most of the small 2stroke motors from all the manufacturers other than Honda.

As for the 2stroke pollutes crowd. I doubt I have used more than 2 litres of 2 stroke mix in the last 5 years. I have seen a lot more pollution than that from fuel docks or bilge pumping.

It was a simple decision, I can lift my 9.8 easily, I needed help with a 6hp 4 stroke Honda.
Old 20-01-2020, 07:32   #37

I didn't think Mercury still made 2 stroke engines, but if it's available I would look at Evenrude. They make a very good product and it is made in North America and the are 2 stroke.
capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 07:55   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_spyder View Post
I need a new outboard for my dinghy in the +/- 9 hp range. I'm in the Caribbean and will buy a 2 stroke because of the lower weight; it will be a lot easier for my wife to help with the hoisting from dinghy to aft rail mount, and safer for me while in the dinghy when she is handling the motor over my head.

Right now I can immediately get an 8 hp Mercury or 9.8 hp Tohatsu. Either will do the job just fine, and they weigh the same. The Mercury is slightly cheaper but not enough to make a difference.

So my question is about quality, reliability, serviceability, etc. While I'm in the Caribbean now I'll be heading back home to the US in May and will have this motor there for many years I suspect. It's very common to see Mercurys at home, not so many Tohatsus. That makes me more comfortable about the Mercury brand, but I don't know enough about Tohatsus to be fair.

Grateful for advice.

Thanks,

JR
Don’t know those two.

I have used Yamaha Enduro 2 stroke 8 hp outboards

https://global.yamaha-motor.com/busi...duro/25-8/#e8d

First class, lightweight, powerful, rugged

These motors are available in the Caribbean

Common Parts like impellers, fuel pump and filter are easy to get
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 07:59   #39

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
The Tohatsu 9.8 is a magic little engine. Starts easy, smooth and relatively quiet. And light.

What he said

I own a Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke since 2001. I will keep it as long as I can. SMOOTH (low vibration) and quiet. It's also the lightest weight 9.8 of the last two decades
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 08:09   #40

Boat: center console

One last item regarding two strokes, I remember my Tohatsu needed to be broken in (from memory) at 25:1 fuel to oil ratio instead of 50:1. Use the best synthetic oil you can find, and run it forever at that ratio, I never, ever saw an oil slick in 15 yrs.
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 08:10   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
All of Tohatsu's and Mercury new production of outboards are four cycle. They discontinued making 2 strokes due to emissions regulations.

The Mercury models are essentially just private label trade dressed Tohatsu models of smaller horsepower outboards. The larger horsepowered Mercury outboards are of proprietary design and manufacturing.

NOT SO, but maybe in the US distribution channels!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 08:14   #42

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones

That’s right: there is reason 2strokes are outlawed on most inland lakes.

Buy a small engine davit. It’s safer under any circumstances, and is great for getting supplies from the dink to the cockpit.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 10:11   #43

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34

I’ve had great luck with my Tohatsu 8hp 2-stroke which I bought new in 1990. Only repair was I rebuilt the carb once because I forgot to drain the fuel at the end of the season. My fault. And an easy 2 hour job.
BoatBumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 13:31   #44

Boat: Barlow, Ex Trawler 13.85m

Buy either all out of the same factory a lot of parts interchangeable. As mentioned the 9 is an over jetted 8.
I have the 8 great engine. Had 5 Mercurys over the years never a problem.
Just a different paint job.
Just yesterday had this confirmed by the Tohstsu retailer in Phuket Thailand.
Iains boatyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 13:33   #45

Boat: Barlow, Ex Trawler 13.85m

2 stroke may be banned in the States but hey guys there is a huge world outside your borders selling 2 strokes.
Iains boatyard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mercury, motor, outboard