Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2013, 09:51   #16

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Re: Minimalist dinghy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
The first LT-2
One more question if you don't mind. Would it fit in a suitcase ?

Since we're down in the Sea of Cortez getting stuff is sometimes an issue. We're thinking about getting one when we hit the East Coast for x-mas and then carrying it back in a suitcase when we fly back. We'd still have to pay customs but it sure would be a lot easier than shipping to Mexico !

Thanks, I'll stop now :-)

-Sven
Old 28-11-2013, 10:19   #17

Get the biggest inflatabe you can and the biggest engine you can. The most common set up I saw and lusted after is a 3.1m rib with a 15 hp, this will be my be my next tender. A minimum set up would be a deep vee inflatable with a 5 hp.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 10:24   #18

Hi Simon !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Get the biggest inflatabe you can and the biggest engine you can. The most common set up I saw and lusted after is a 3.1m rib with a 15 hp, this will be my be my next tender. A minimum set up would be a deep vee inflatable with a 5 hp.
How's GOODONYA treating you and vice versa ?

Can you carry GOODONYA in davits on the back of the RIB ?

-Sven
Old 28-11-2013, 10:34   #19

By the way Sven I really like your boat. I sailed on a 39 E many years ago and later almost bought one but ended up with a Tartan 44 instead. They make an excellent offshore boat that is well laid out and a real good sailor to boot for a very affordable price. You made a good choice!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 10:46   #20

Hi Sven, still living the dream. Just got back from 6 months in New Cal and Vanuatu. Getting married 8th December. Will be back in Vanuatu 2015. Check the blog.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 28-11-2013, 10:50   #21

Quote:
Getting married 8th December.
I need to go out to the mailbox and look for my invite !

Congratulations. I haven't checked your blog lately but will indeed do so !

To be somewhat on topic, what do you carry as a tender and where do you stow it ?

BTW, Senta is treating us to the dream too. We survived La Paz summer without AC so now we can do anything

-Sven
Old 28-11-2013, 10:56   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Quote:
Get the biggest inflatabe you can and the biggest engine you can. ...... A minimum set up would be a deep vee inflatable with a 5 hp.
+1

Whenever we go cruising or even out for a few days, it's always enjoyable to explore and to me, that's what my dinghy is all about. It's not just for necessary things like shopping.
Right now I have an old Seaworthy 9.5' RIB dinghy. It came with the boat and I had an old 4HP Johnson. I sold the 4HP and bought a new Tohotsu 9.8. My next step is to replace the 9.5' with a 10' RIB. That small difference of 6" makes a big difference in available space. That will be the biggest and heaviest I would want to carry on davits on my Mainship 36 Aft Cabin. I would like a 12 footer but I think it would be too heavy for my boat.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 11:03   #23

At the moment a 2.7m inflatable with an 8hp we keep her on the fore deck not an issue. Once out in the island you will be covering some distances in the dink ferrying food and fuel. I have even considered an aluminum 3m dinghy but will do the rib next.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 28-11-2013, 15:18   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
By the way Sven I really like your boat. I sailed on a 39 E many years ago and later almost bought one but ended up with a Tartan 44 instead. They make an excellent offshore boat that is well laid out and a real good sailor to boot for a very affordable price. You made a good choice!
Thanks, yes we lucked out and found one that had basically only been daysailed for many years. This is the 39B, the same boat SimonV has. It is the cruising version of the successful 39 racer. There were only 19 or 20 39Bs built and the difference is a raised trunk cabin which means a higher cabin sole and more tankage.

Simon took his from San Francisco to Australia after the prior owners too Pacifica (her earlier name) down the Mexican coast out to Hawaii and back to San Francisco.

The only drawback with King's pretty design is the narrow transom which cuts down on storage space and makes her a bit squirrely in following seas, but we added 14" to the rudder to help with that.

Bet the Tartan has more room !

-Sven
Old 28-11-2013, 22:54   #25

Well the S&S Tartan had a very narrow rear end but is a bit more in the beam so yes it was a bigger boat and it sailed like a witch, loved it. The E39 I sailed was the flush deck model and I have suggested that design to many people wanting a tough boat on a budget, its pretty hard to beat. Your boat shares the same hull but has a different deck which makes it a pretty nice looking boat. Usually those designs tend to get a little hard to steer downwind with the chute up in a strong breeze but do just fine under working sails.
Anyways I think you picked a winner and I'd rather take that boat offshore than many of the newer ones. If you summered in the Baja I really take my hat off to you.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy