Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2016, 13:12   #31

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A
Re: Most manageable size outboard motor for dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Seriously?
It has been done

I had a friend who did it years ago as well twin 3.5 Johnsons on a jon boat. Of course he was 13 at the time, but the rooster tail when you pointed them at each other was awesome.
Old 23-09-2016, 15:05   #32

Boat: Gozzard 36

Or you can do like the fellow I saw in a marina about 10 years ago---he undid his belt and tied it through his outboard as he wasn't going to lose it overboard in lifting it _into/out of his dinghy----- I immediately nominated him for a Darwin award :-)

Seriously though --its one thing to lift an outboard into or out of a dinghy in the quiet of a marina or when bouncing around in a sea chop--- my suggestion go small (eg a 2.3 HP Honda 2 stroke) or bigger (a 5.5 to 9+ HP 2 stroke but only with a crane/lift) or as has been suggested both (which is what I am doing)
foothillsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 15:20   #33

Boat: Hunter 44DS

I have a 15 hp 4 stroke Yamaha that weighs 56 kg I have set up a pulley with a jammer to stop the Rope and works pretty good although very heavy. I just purchased a small 2.5 hp Yamaha 4 stroke that I keep in the deep locker on a spring-loaded outboard motor attachment and I find I use it more just because it's a lot easier to lift in and out of the tender. The small 2.5hp motor is ideal for just going back and forwards to the boat but the 15hp is ideal for when you wanna go exploring
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 15:29   #34

Boat: Caliber 47

Please please buy a crane and a 15 HP 2 stroke....it's a once in a lifetime purchase. you will not regret. Cruising with anything much smaller Will be a major disappointment .
Handling anything 5 HP and up without a crane will be a major pain causing you to avoiding launching the rib or force you to take risks leaving the motor on the rib because you don't feel like wrestling with it .

Our RIB is our second most important mode of water transportation we own .
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 16:10   #35

Boat: C&C

Totally agree on getting yourself a 15 HP 2 stroke in the Bahamas. Available also in the Abacos, Marsh Harbour. I would call ahead though and arrange a price and delivery date so that they have one when you get there.
Grab a little 2 or 4hp in the meantime as you won't be using it much till you get there. Then you can use your boom or a halyard to assist you when dropping onto the dingy transom. Once you put that 15 on, you'll know your in heaven!!!
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 16:15   #36

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiic View Post
Thanks guys.

I ended up ordering a Mercury 9.9 HP 4-Stroke with Forespar Nova Lift from defender.
Look at the forespar Motor Mate. I think it's better than the Nova Lift.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 16:20   #37

Boat: Bristol 27

Your can still buy old 2 strokes here that are quite light in weight:

Small Used Outboard Motors For Sale - Mercury Outboards Johnson
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 05:55   #38

Boat: Jeanneau 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Look at the forespar Motor Mate. I think it's better than the Nova Lift.
How so?

The Nova has double the lifting limit.
2015 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 - 3 Cabin / 2 Head, Shoal Keel, Furling Main, Performance Genoa 135% with Tracks, Folding Prop, Bow Thruster, Air Conditioning, B&G Zeus2 Chartplotter, B&G Autopilot, B&G 4G Radar, B&G ForwardScan Sonar.
epiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 05:56   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post
Totally agree on getting yourself a 15 HP 2 stroke in the Bahamas. Available also in the Abacos, Marsh Harbour. I would call ahead though and arrange a price and delivery date so that they have one when you get there.
Grab a little 2 or 4hp in the meantime as you won't be using it much till you get there. Then you can use your boom or a halyard to assist you when dropping onto the dingy transom. Once you put that 15 on, you'll know your in heaven!!!
I got the 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke for now. If it gives me problems, I will sell it and replace it with a 15hp Yamaha 2-stroke when I get to the Caribbean.
2015 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 - 3 Cabin / 2 Head, Shoal Keel, Furling Main, Performance Genoa 135% with Tracks, Folding Prop, Bow Thruster, Air Conditioning, B&G Zeus2 Chartplotter, B&G Autopilot, B&G 4G Radar, B&G ForwardScan Sonar.
Old 24-09-2016, 06:21   #40

Quote:
How so?

The Nova has double the lifting limit.
Is your cockpit winch right there where you can control the swing of the novalift and motor while it comes up? Or is this going to be a 2 person operation? If your winch is right there it might be a better choice for you.

I wanted to lift at the stern rail and I have a center cockpit design, so I had no cockpit winch nearby.

The Motor Mate allows you to be right there where you can easily control the swing of the arm and engine as it comes up. It has a 4-purchase block system so you have more pulling advantage, but my wife was still having some trouble so I added a Forespar MW-6 Marelon Winch to the back end of the MotorMate, as an owner modification.
Old 24-09-2016, 06:29   #41

Quote:
I got the 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke for now. If it gives me problems, I will sell it and replace it with a 15hp Yamaha 2-stroke when I get to the Caribbean.
That's heavy. Good luck. I'd rather have a lighter motor I can lift than a heavy one that can plane the dinghy. Check the Tohatsu 2-stroke 9.8 when in the Caribbean. 59 pounds and the smoothest motor I've ever used regardless of 2 or 4- strokes. I have a 2001 and it still starts first or second pull after sitting all winter, runs smooth as silk and quiet too.
Old 24-09-2016, 06:59   #42

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I got a Yamaha 8hp 2 stroke in Green Turtle Cay last January when my old mercury 8hp finally gave up the ghost after many years. Great little motor! No, it will not plane the dink with 2 people in it but I dont really need that. It is just fine to get to and from the boat even when it is anchored fairly far offshore. Sure, it would be nice to have a speed machine but do I really need to go faster than my 40 ft. sailboat? I decided the minimum power I needed was enough to buck a tidal current in a cut. 8hp does that.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 09:09   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

We use a 25hp Yam Enduro which is an incredible motor. We also have a 3.5hp Yam Malta; both are two stroke. I can manage the 25hp in flat calm conditions on my own but given any sort of conditions I use the goal post lift even for the Malta. In my opinion you need some sort of mechanical aid/lift device for any engine - as Ron (post 3) suggested.

Quote:
I need to order an outboard motor today for my new Zodiac Cadet 310 Rib.

I would like a 8-9.9hp 4-stoke but I can't imagine how I am going to lift it.

Because of this, I am forced to purchase a smaller motor 6hp 4-stoke (57lb).

The 6hp would be the maximum I could lift in/out of the dinghy and onto the transom mount.

Any tips to manage a larger outboard without having to purchase a crane would be greatly appreciated.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 13:55   #44

Evinrude makes two stroke engines available in the U.S.
Evinrude Portable Engines | Evinrude US
Alan Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 07:05   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Is your cockpit winch right there where you can control the swing of the novalift and motor while it comes up? Or is this going to be a 2 person operation? If your winch is right there it might be a better choice for you.
Yes, the winch is perfectly located. I have dual helms with German sheeting so the winch is right there on either side.

My girlfriend will help me out at the same time to make it even easier.

Tags
dinghy, grass, motor, outboard, size