Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2023, 08:11   #91

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: My 3rd. Porta Bote

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
As to the motor "specification" there is something on line about how they come up with those numbers. It is not specific PB but the width of the transom and maybe something else.

HP is limited by a formula that includes transom width.

Motor weight is limited by the level flotation requirement. PB could achieve a higher rating by adding flotation in the stern, for example by adding foam to the transom.

Quote:
If you exist OUTSIDE that regulatory environment then a fixed transom PB, or a new PB retrofitted with a fixed transom, when fitted with a lightweight/hp motor (TWO STROKE) is a wonderful option. When building your own transom then you need to be very cautious of the weight. I have built a couple, which work well, but I can do better in retaing strength while being lighter.

2" divinycell foam with a layer of carbon fiber uni with the fibers running athwartships (inside and out) and a layer of fiberglass on the bias should give you light and strong with some added flotation. Add 1/8" aluminim plates or some 1/4" solid white oak or teak under the outboard clamps to distribute the clamping force a little.

Quote:
BUT ALSO REMEMBER THIS: There is at least one state (MN?) within the USA where it is ILLEGAL to ride on the tube of an inflatable. The skipper and all passengers are REQUIRED to reside WITHIN the confines of the tender, on provided seats. Try THAT with 2 full sized folks in a 8' hard bottom planing RIB.

Correct, it is MN, and law enforcement will ticket you if they see you in violation. That is one of many reasons I have a Chameleon instead of a RIB.
Old 12-04-2023, 08:26   #92

Boat: Rafiki 37

I've had the same 10' portabote for, must be approach two decades now. Used it on my 34-ketch, and for over a decade now with my 37-foot cutter. It's the older style with the non-folding transom, and I use a 3.5 hp (4-stroke) outboard with it.

Works great. Easily planes with one (big ) adult in it. Will plane with two adults in calm conditions. But moves well in either case. Best of all, it rows well, so we often don't bother with the OB.

Ours is stored on the side decks, against the cabin. I don't like the idea of tying to the stanchions due to the risk of boarding waves, but I know many do it this way. We also have a custom duffle bag to store the seats/transom. This is also stored on deck, against the forward cabin.
Old 12-04-2023, 13:29   #93

well I have an 8 foot with folding transom and custom duffle for the seats and oars for sale , 800 dollars located in Stuart fl
myketch42 is offline   Reply With Quote