Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2020, 13:21   #1

Boat: Hughes Sparkmen Stevens 38'
need help with porous inflatable floor

i have a quick silver inflatable with an inflatable floor which has a 10" spot which is porous. looking for suggestions how to repair a large area like that. also some of the attachments are coming unglued. are there any other adhesives that will work such as contact cement or 2500
ventura 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 14:49   #2

Boat: Morgan 44 CC
Re: need help with porous inflatable floor

Inflatable floors are usually subject to far higher pressure than the tubes of the dingy. In my experience air floors are near impossible to repair. Even the inflatable repair shop in our area declines any work that includes an air floor.

Ditch the air floor and make one of sections of plywood - makes it still possible to pack the dingy into a bag but provides far better support than an air floor.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 15:26   #3

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventura 38 View Post
i have a quick silver inflatable with an inflatable floor which has a 10" spot which is porous. looking for suggestions how to repair a large area like that. also some of the attachments are coming unglued. are there any other adhesives that will work such as contact cement or 2500
I have repaired inflatable floors, both zodiac and avon, with pvc fabric and superglue. Sand and clean the area before applying the glue. Use weights or clamps.

BUT, 10" is rather large and I would not expect it to last. I use this method on small patches.

I have also used superglue (and, in some cases, epoxy) to reattach items.

The results have been reasonable, if not perfect.

I suspect that you are due for a new dingy.
Old 21-06-2020, 16:59   #4

i was just wondering if anyone had any luck with say 12" or 14" pvc patch with 3m5200
Old 22-06-2020, 08:55   #5

Boat: Beneteau 331

I had an air leak that I couldn't find in my inflatable. I eventually used Green Slim to stop the leak. You pour the green slime in to the tube then roll the inflatable around so the liquid covers the whole area in the tube. I went from having to inflate the tube everyday to once a month.
Green Slime $19 a gallon on Amazon.
FULLCIRCLE331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 09:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLCIRCLE331 View Post
I had an air leak that I couldn't find in my inflatable. I eventually used Green Slim to stop the leak. You pour the green slime in to the tube then roll the inflatable around so the liquid covers the whole area in the tube. I went from having to inflate the tube everyday to once a month.
Green Slime $19 a gallon on Amazon.

already tried that put two bottles in ended up with two Lbs heaver and still had bubbles coming out but thanks for your responce
Old 22-06-2020, 16:09   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventura 38 View Post
Is it PVC or Hypalon?
You can glue a patch on it. There are videos on youtube. I would use a repair cement specific to the job such as Clifton. But you need to know what material it is. We have had good success with aquadhere for small holes with no patch but thats not your case. You would be better off with a patch I suspect.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inflatable