Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2016, 13:52   #1

New 2016 Yamaha F2.5SMHB vs older F2.5MSH

Hi all I have a 16 foot Coleman Scanoe that I like to take on lakes and rivers. I currently am running a Tanaka 120 (1.2hp 2 cycle) that is older than me. I want to at some point get a
slightly larger motor for it and the Yamaha 2.5 looks like a good choice.

I noticed they came out with a new version of the 2.5 in January 2016 (F2.5SMHB) and I have been unsuccessful in finding much information or reviews of this new version. I know the older version (F2.5MSH) is highly regarded and there is good information out there on it.

It looks like the major drive for this re-design was emissions standards and that always makes me nervous. There have been other engines (primarily thinking of diesel trucks) that the emission standard requirements have resulted in inferior newer versions. Is there anyone with information or experience with the new version that can confirm it is as good as the older version or what other notable differences there might be? Would love to see a good shootout comparing new and old versions.

Thanks.
Brlux is offline   Reply With Quote