Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2013, 16:40   #16

Re: New portable gas tank question

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Those aren't the kind I am talking about. Ours is similar to this: Amazon.com: Moeller OEM Choice EPA Portable Fuel Tank (3.2-Gallon): Sports & Outdoors

Mark
Ahh... yeah, those.

Another reason I'm spooked to get a bigger outboard HP is because of the non-integrated fuel tanks like that.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 16:43   #17

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Another reason I'm spooked to get a bigger outboard HP is because of the non-integrated fuel tanks like that.
Of all the things that should be spooking you, that one doesn't seem too onerous! Don't get a tank in the US and you should be good to go.

Or get a tank in the US and pull the little rubber valve out of it. If that is scary, your daughter is old enough to do it!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 16:46   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Of all the things that should be spooking you, that one doesn't seem too onerous! Don't get a tank in the US and you should be good to go.

Or get a tank in the US and pull the little rubber valve out of it. If that is scary, your daughter is old enough to do it!

Mark
It's just one more thing man! Right now with the 2.3hp I can lift the whole thing with one hand off the dinghy, up the ladder, and walk it right back to the stern. Hoses, tanks, and heavier outboards.... ugh.

But I do get dinghy envy when I see those RIBs hauling ass.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 17:28   #19

What we have here in the US is an unregulated, unaccountable to no one agency that just can’t stop making stupid uninformed regulations. Spelled E.P.A.

Because the Ethanol Lobby is so big we have a renewable energy mandate resulting in the petroleum refiners adding at least 10% ethanol, soon to be 15%, to the fuel to comply. This causes problems with fuel lines, primer bulbs and any other rubber parts within the engine itself.

No problem says the E.P.A. We’ll just mandate a change in materials for the lines and bulbs and make them non permeable. It just doesn’t matter that it will increase cost 3X.

But wait there’s more ---
About 2 years ago the E.P.A. decided that all the air vented by the multi trillions of portable fuel tanks that power our small outboards is a risk to mankind. “We can’t have that” so they mandated again that a 5 pound release be put on the vented cap. This caused the fuel tank manufacturer to triple the wall thickness of the tanks at 3X the price.

If you want to cheat, on some tanks close the cap till it clicks then back off about a ¼ turn. This in some situations will reduce the blow off from 5 pounds to about 2.

While making deliveries we strap some jerry cans to the life lines. It used to be during fairly calm conditions we could take one and replenish the boats tank. That third or forth swell was going to get you so we could seal the fill and hold the jerry can out of harms way then continue. What ever we spilled could be wiped up with a couple sheets of towel. The fuel transferred fast.
Fast forward to today’s cans. The “click here to pour” and the BS venting caused us to use ½ roll of towel to clean up

Something need changing

Mark Twain
knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 18:29   #20

Boat: PT-11

You must have bought it in California. Get one in any other state.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 19:12   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
You must have bought it in California. Get one in any other state.
Nope - they're the same nation wide.

Mark Twain
knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2022, 12:00   #22

Hello I’ve recently bought a used portable Moeller 18 gallon topside fuel tank. However i am having trouble finding what hose or pump transfer hose I need to buy in order to connect and safely use …

I’ve attached photos if y’all could provide a link or simply the name of what I’ll need to buy (adapter, quick connects, motors, pumps)???
Not sure what size connection it is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4B92D4A5-11EF-4B04-8F5D-1324E0A1B325.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	269215   Click image for larger version

Name:	532A7206-C373-4C0B-8FF5-2EE89473D3D6.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	269216  

Click image for larger version

Name:	54833715-C427-4911-85F8-2FDA3FC56D85.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	269217   Click image for larger version

Name:	17E3B5BA-017C-428D-A5FF-F0C2EC509DDB.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	269218  

Danielvm002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 03:32   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielvm002 View Post
Hello I’ve recently bought a used portable Moeller 18 gallon topside fuel tank. However i am having trouble finding what hose or pump transfer hose I need to buy in order to connect and safely use …

I’ve attached photos if y’all could provide a link or simply the name of what I’ll need to buy (adapter, quick connects, motors, pumps)???
Not sure what size connection it is
Buy whatever size gasoline-rated hose you like (most of them are gray these days), find a hose barb that fits it, and that will thread into that square fitting. Remove the connector there now, screw in the hose barb, and Bob's your uncle.

Do whatever you want with the other end: primer bulb, fuel filter: the engine is going to will have a fuel pump capable of drawing fuel into itself, and will require a certain size hose connection. Maybe start at that end to determine hose and barb doameter for the tank.
Old 07-01-2023, 08:53   #24
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

Huh. I love the new unvented tanks. No more messing with venting, forgetting to close the vent, forgetting to open the vent, the smell of gas, etc. Mine work great with no attention at all. I don't store them in the sun though. Plus they help solve the problem of ethanol, without air and humidity going in and out constantly. I have no problems using ethanol gas.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote