Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2018, 10:02   #1

Outboard Battery size

Hi!

I recently bought an older Honda 15HP four stroke outboard motor for our dinghy to replace an a smaller 6hp.

One of the features of the 15HP is electric start, which would be awesome to take advantage of. I currently have no battery or electrical system aboard the dinghy though.

Reading the manual, they mention to use a battery with a 40AH rating (no CCA given) as minimum. Looking at batteries it seems to me maybe this is a bit overkill? 40Ah you're starting to get at the bigger (and heavier/more expensive) batteries.

I was wondering if a motorcycle type battery would do? Something like 12Ah 200CCA? I mean they start up large motorcycle engines, surely they'd work with a small 15HP?

Thanks!
Thomas
mxtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:27   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Outboard Battery size

Those little lithium "jumpstarter powerpacks" now come powerful enough to crank big diesel engines.

Can recharge off 12V or mains plug overnight.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 13:08   #3

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Small power sport/motorcycle batteries should work fine. Not sure exactly why but the ones marketed to lawn mowers with the same specs on the powersports batteries tend to be cheaper.
Old 01-06-2018, 13:56   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Outboard Battery size

I’d look hard at a SLAB or sealed lead acid battery, sort of like the ones used in exit signs etc, no vent caps and you can’t spill acid etc.
Not sure if they are AGM or Gel?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 17:59   #5

Is there a voltage regulator on the charging circuit of the motor? If not, the battery size could be so you don't cook the battery charging it rather than cranking power needed to start it.
Lrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 18:08   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Outboard Battery size

At least the older outboards that I have experience with had very similar charging systems like older motorcycles. That is rectifiers.
Basically they made all the power they could and wasted the excess as heat, reason rectifiers are finned. It’s not much power either, they sort of trickle charge the battery. Of course they didn’t cook motorcycle batteries.
I’d assume even newer small outboards are similar? I know the bigger ones have automotive type alternators, but doubt the little ones do.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:47   #7

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxtommy View Post
Hi!

I recently bought an older Honda 15HP four stroke outboard motor for our dinghy to replace an a smaller 6hp.

One of the features of the 15HP is electric start, which would be awesome to take advantage of. I currently have no battery or electrical system aboard the dinghy though.

Reading the manual, they mention to use a battery with a 40AH rating (no CCA given) as minimum. Looking at batteries it seems to me maybe this is a bit overkill? 40Ah you're starting to get at the bigger (and heavier/more expensive) batteries.

I was wondering if a motorcycle type battery would do? Something like 12Ah 200CCA? I mean they start up large motorcycle engines, surely they'd work with a small 15HP?

Seems odd your manual would specify an amp-hour rating but not CCA/MCA.

Our dinghy battery for a 15-hp Suzuki 4-stroke is a small Deka "Outdoorsman" model , in one of the U1 categories.

Like from here: http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com...Flyer-0008.pdf

Probably ours is the 11U1L, 350 CCA... since our outboard wants a minimum of 330 CCA (or 450 MCA, or 70 RC) per the Suzuki manual.

I would eventually look to see if there's an Odyssey AGM equivalent (size and cranking specs) just to reduce issues with self-disharge... since we don't run our outboard very often... but haven't gotten to that point yet...

-Chris
Old 02-06-2018, 04:20   #8

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

We have a 15 hp Mercury with electric start. The dinghy came with a motorcycle battery in it and has been working fine. If it ever wears out, we'll probably replace it with the same.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:38   #9

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Or simply get a lawn tractor battery, usually under forty bucks, motorcycle batteries are more expensive
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, outboard, size