Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2022, 07:44   #1

Boat: Vancouver 27'
Outboard fender storage?

I have a very narrow deck and must cling to anything available to go forward. In some spaces the deck area is the width of my shoe.

My Fenders are stowed under the cockpit seats and are a hassle to get out.

I have seen Fender baskets that are attached to the stanchions and like the idea but would need to mount them outboard to preserve what little walking area is available.

I can find no mention or photos of fender baskets mounted on the outside of a stanchion. This set off my alarm. Other than increasing my beam and making them more easily stolen, can anyone suggest why this might be a bad idea?

I plan on using clip-on type hangers attached to the lifeline to help keep them in place.

Suggestions, concerns welcomed.
sepharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:52   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Outboard fender storage?

Have you considered inflatable fenders? I've used these for decades now. Incredibly tough, and great customer service.

Easystow Fenders*

When not in use, they deflate to small package. I store six in a space that wouldn't even store one fully inflated fender. Takes a bit of planning to make sure you're ready to dock, but the space savings is huge.

*I have no association, other than being a happy customer. There are other types of inflatable fenders out there.
Old 02-05-2022, 07:55   #3

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

As long as you put them forward far enough so they don't extend beyond the widest point of the boat, I'd think putting fender holders outside the rails would work fine.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:14   #4

Many years ago, I bought a boat with fender racks mounted on the outboard side of the rail. First stop at the fuel dock and they were moved inboard. These were all the way at the bow.

Good luck approaching the dock exactly beam too and parallel and parallel to the dock.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:31   #5

Mike I had not considered inflatables. They would save space but increase the time and effort considerably in deploying. I am looking for the lazy/easy solution. Shrew and RS, you point out the flaw in my plan.

I just saw an article about tying both ends and keeping them on the rub rail. I will give it a try.

Guess I will just have to accept tying knots the old fashioned way. Thank you for your input.
Old 02-05-2022, 08:41   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepharad View Post
Mike I had not considered inflatables. They would save space but increase the time and effort considerably in deploying. I am looking for the lazy/easy solution. Shrew and RS, you point out the flaw in my plan.
Very true. It does require more planning, and certainly more effort. I use a simple hand pump to blow up my large fenders. Takes perhaps a minute or two for each one, but it's certainly harder than just flipping them out.

I guess it also depends on your cruising style. When I leave a dock, I don't usually see another one for weeks or even months. If I were going into dock frequently, inflatables probably wouldn't be as attractive.
Old 02-05-2022, 08:47   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Thats where we keep em
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DIRT FREE at TUSCARORA.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	256980  
Old 02-05-2022, 08:49   #8

Tie them neatly to the stern pulpit, or put the baskets there.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 16:24   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Have you considered this style fender?

https://www.theboatwarehouse.com.au/...SABEgK-yPD_BwE

they are flat, so you could stow them under the cockpit cushions, or under a bunk.

I do not think fender racks like power boats have would be a good idea under any circumstances. Way to easy to foul a lazy sheet on. You could consider tying them to the pushpit, we've seen them done that way, but may be in the way of your getting to your wind vane to adjust it. But if you want them on the lifelines, then they are a hazard in large breaking wave situations (may blow out the lifelines).

Ann
Old 02-05-2022, 23:35   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Have you considered this style fender?

I do not think fender racks like power boats have would be a good idea under any circumstances. Way to easy to foul a lazy sheet on. You could consider tying them to the pushpit, we've seen them done that way, but may be in the way of your getting to your wind vane to adjust it. But if you want them on the lifelines, then they are a hazard in large breaking wave situations (may blow out the lifelines).

Ann

Good thinking Ann, Thank you. I can now picture lines, sheets and sails snagging.

Time for new ideas.
Old 03-05-2022, 00:56   #11

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I would never mount them outboard, it is one on the things you will lose first when coming too close.
Another reason when using a springer/spring line to get yourself off a dock or onto a dock, requires that all the areas from bow to stern will be close to the dock/pilings; a basket or something for fenders will be a pivot point, and not strong enough.

I use, like Mike does, Easystow fenders as in post #2. They can be blown up with your mouth, easily, and I have the biggest size; yes I have a pump as well. Just as Mike said, this requires a little more planning. I would not have any other fenders anymore.

Tags
fender, outboard, storage