Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2018, 00:16   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Outboard HP vs Dinghy Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post
Hi Jim, Was told by manufacturer that they occasionally do transport a RIB deflated. But once in the hands of owner its too much risk. Its the glued joints around Transom to Tube that would appear to be the problem.

Think I have seen like a socket arrangement that holds the Transom on some, but I imagine Thrust limit on those would be low, it would look funny wouldn't it. Anyway maybe on a Rigid RIB like mine maybe a little deflation would be OK. Still apparently you get away with it.
Honestly, this sounds like a mfg trying to avoid warranty issues. We not only deflate ours, we suck nearly ALL the air out with a pump. Really reduces the dinks footprint on the foredeck. Many of our cruising friends do similar things, and I've not heard of tube to transom issues.

For the record, this aluminium hull is now approaching 15 years of age, and is on its third set of tubes. There have been no problems with separation of any of the glued seams between rubber and hull, just decay of the hypalon coatings. Our latest tubes are (supposedly) high quality PVC, with chaps. Now approaching 3 years of service, hoping for more.

To emphasize my view, I'd not buy from a mfg who had your reported restriction of usage.

Jim

Tags
dinghy, outboard