Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2006, 04:23   #1

Boat: PDQ36 Catamaran - Kokomo
Outboard Purchases in the Bahamas

Has anyone actually bought a new outboad in the Bahamas? How was the price compared to the US? In that 2-strokes are no longer available, I'm thinking that this may be a better option than in the past.

s/v Kokomo
Kokomo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2006, 06:48   #2

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
We bought our current 15 h.p. Evinrude in the Bahamas 15 yrs ago for about 1/2 the then-U.S. price, and it is still going strong. Last winter a friend's outboard died and he replaced it with another 2-stroke in Georgetown for nearly half the U.S. price. I definitely think it's the way to go.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2006, 07:18   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Some of my friends bought 15 hp Yamaha Enduros in the Bahamas. The price was about $500 cheaper than in the US. The Enduros are built for lesser developed countries and only sold there. They are actually tougher than the normal Yamaha 15. No US dealer will touch one if you ever have to take it in for service. The "normal" Yamaha 15 is also available in the Bahamas. I think they sell for about the same price as the "Enduro".
Old 05-10-2006, 18:14   #4

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
We bought our 10 hp Evenrude there and used it as much as possible. Sold it w/ the last boat.

I would suggest that you buy one from the dealer in the area your "going to stay in for awhile". Then you'll get the engine correctly serviced. We did have at first a switch / contact that would short out when the engine was warm. We took it in to our dealer (in White Sound) and the found it and fixed it.
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 17:32   #5

Boat: Westsail 32
Where to find an Enduro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco
The price was about $500 cheaper than in the US.
Vasco,

I've checked with a few dealers in the Miami area and have been told that the Enduro series isn't even available for sale in the US. Is there something I'm missing?
To anyone,

Where have you purchased Enduro's? Specific location and information about the dealer/marina would be appreciated. An internet search isn't turning up much about Yamaha dealers in the Bahamas.
I appreciate everyone's help!

Fair leads,
Aaron Norlund

W32 #482 Asia Marie

blahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 18:32   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
If you read Vasco entire post he says the Enduro is for sale in countries outside the US. Although Miami considers itself another country it is indeed part of the US. I think he may have misspoke when saying it was cheaper that the US. It may be cheaper than the US version of the 15 HP.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:57   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
To find a Yamaha outboard dealer call 1-800-88-YAMAHA (day or night, seven days a week)
The “Enduro” (CV - Customer Value) is Yamaha’s “no-frills” economy engine, not sold in the US.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 13:11   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't know, Chuck . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier
If you read Vasco entire post he says the Enduro is for sale in countries outside the US. Although Miami considers itself another country it is indeed part of the US. .
You're probably right . . . but it may be more accurate to say that although Miami considers itself a part of the US, it is indeed another country.

TaoJones
Old 09-04-2007, 13:26   #9

Boat: Privilege 37
Someone should give locations. I looked while I was in Nassau, Grand Bahama and Marsh Harbor. I didn't see anything cheaper than I could have found on sail at various discount spots on the internet. I bought mine here in the States. REALLY glad I didn't wait.

Fair winds.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 14:38   #10

Boat: Lagoon 37 - Island Flyer
If ya want a Yammy, Abaco Yacht Services on Green Turtle Cay is your best option. I bought my 15 there. Scott is the dealer's name. Old Bahamian family runs that yard (Roberts family) and they are first class folks.

Mike
islandflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:53   #11

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
I agree with IslandFlyer 100% .... Abaaco Yacht Services is the way to go. They are indeed a first class operation. I bought a 15hp Yahama form them in 1996 (It recently died) and as soon as I can get back down there, I plan to buy another. Before I bought the first one, I called ahead to make sure they had one in stock and when I got there they had it out of the box and in the test tank, then hauled it down to the dock and put it on my dingy and they test drove it, did some minor adjustments and then after a few hours of use they checked it again and did some more minor adjustments ..... All with a smile. Yes Sir, FIRST CLASS FOLKS!
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 09:08   #12

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran
Yamaha Enduro

I got a 15 HP Yamaha Enduro with my boat in Grenada. It is incredibily reliable, easy to start and relatively light for its size. Being a 2 stroke it is not available in North America. It takes a 100 to 1 oil mixture. It planes with 4 large people on board a 10 ft. RIB.

If you can find one,Grab it.
Old 16-07-2008, 10:45   #13

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Are you sure about that 100:1 fuel/oil mix?

PS: The Yammy dealer here in West Palm said the Enduros aren't sold here due to emissions.

BTW: I've an Enduro 15hp that's mid-90's vintage and cranks on first pull. Running hot now, though. The telltail (pisser) is really strong, which makes me think the water channels might be gunked up.
Old 16-07-2008, 12:43   #14

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran
Yes, the 100 to 1 mixture is printed on the engine. All small 2 stroke engines are not sold in North America because of emissions. You are right about the ease of starting and it is realatively light fot a 15 HP motor
Old 17-07-2008, 06:03   #15

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Well, that explains all of the smoke!

Tags
Bahamas, outboard