Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2023, 01:31   #1

Padlock Recommendation

We go through a padlock a month for our dinghy. Doesn't seem to matter if it's a cheap one, expensive one, keyed, or combination, they all corrode quickly.

We've soaked in Corrosion X, and tried filling the insides with grease.

Has anyone found a lock that lasts in the salt environment or do you all just buy in bulk like we do?
Sabado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 04:29   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Padlock Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabado View Post
We go through a padlock a month for our dinghy. Doesn't seem to matter if it's a cheap one, expensive one, keyed, or combination, they all corrode quickly.

We've soaked in Corrosion X, and tried filling the insides with grease.

Has anyone found a lock that lasts in the salt environment or do you all just buy in bulk like we do?
We have been using a shrouded Abus padlock for 20 years and it works like new. We used some Boeshield to protect but can’t remember last time we did that.

Unfortunately they don’t seem to sell it anymore and it was costly at $75 or so. Now I would choose something like: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009S5Y6ZS

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 04:47   #3

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

We had brass padlock from Home Depot - Master was still going strong after 5 years - used WD40 on it once a month. If we dropped it in salt water we would then put in a container of fresh water for a couple of minutes, then WD 40. On a previous boat we had an Abloy marine stainless steel in 2002 - still got it , still works just fine, again WD40 on a regular basis.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 04:55   #4

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

ABUS Diskus Marine 24IB/60 Padlock

These are indestructible and last 3 years plus without maintenance or a lot longer if looked after. They cannot be removed with opposing spanners so if you loose the key you are *******d.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 04:56   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Hmmm. Where does this padlock live that it gets so corroded? I haven't had major problems with various padlocks on my dinghy. The one I use to lock the mounting screws together and attach a cable to has been on there for more than 15 years. It's a cheapy I bought in Honduras. The shackle is very rusted, but the innards keep working fine. Periodically, I put most padlocks in an old coffee can and spray the innards with a shot of WD40. The coffee can is to catch the inevitable drips. I also have several SS Abus round locks that I have used for locking dinghy cables and such, and they are over 20 years old. Get the WD40 treatment once in awhile.
Old 07-12-2023, 05:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Hmmm. Where does this padlock live that it gets so corroded? I haven't had major problems with various padlocks on my dinghy. The one I use to lock the mounting screws together and attach a cable to has been on there for more than 15 years. It's a cheapy I bought in Honduras. The shackle is very rusted, but the innards keep working fine. Periodically, I put most padlocks in an old coffee can and spray the innards with a shot of WD40. The coffee can is to catch the inevitable drips. I also have several SS Abus round locks that I have used for locking dinghy cables and such, and they are over 20 years old. Get the WD40 treatment once in awhile.
It locks our dinghy to various docks through a large chain. Sometimes the locking points are pretty low and things get submerged.
Sabado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 06:00   #7

Boat: Finnsailer 38

The Abus Diskus stainless steel lock is about the best I have found for corrosion resistance. Can be a bit hard to use with heavy chain since the jaws are very narrow. https://mobil.abus.com/usa/Products/.../24IB-Diskus-R

Tags
men