Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 19:08   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Painting Hypalon

Practical Sailor did a review a while ago.

I used a water-based product by MDR and it has stayed on for ~ 3 years. I figure it helps keep the sun off.

Pick the lightest color; dark colors make the pressure change more with the sun.
Old 04-10-2014, 21:52   #17

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I've heard that ArmorAll is silicon-based. Because it makes painting a challenge after exposure to silicone products, I've shied away from it. Anyone care to dispute this claim?
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:48   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Roy, AFAIK the original white ArmorAll was a water base and the "new" clear product is probably a silicone base. In any case there are at least two "plain" ArmorAll products to be confused out there. If you want to find out, ask them. The allegations of ungluing and paint lifting date back to the original white stuff, btw.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 14:27   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Armor all is slippery, I Armor alled a motorcycle seat, once
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 16:38   #20

According to the MSD of Armorall: Hazardous Decomposition Products: Thermal decomposition will generate oxides of carbon and silicon and
formaldehyde.

I'm assuming that doesn't come from sand being burned.
Old 05-10-2014, 16:54   #21

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

I wonder how this stuff would work???
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...76802529,d.b2U
Old 06-10-2014, 07:36   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
I've liked the performance of this stuff with other applications, but I have no idea how it would work on an inflatable dinghy. 'makes me wish I had a old failed dinghy to play with and test some different coatings. The plasti-coat doesn't list the inflatable dinghy as an application and the Liquid Rubber does. This makes me favor the liquid rubber if I don't know of someone with the experience of using Plasti-coat.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:20   #23
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Silicon isn't silicone. Which is one of the plasticizers and lubricants often used to rejuvenate plastics and rubbers.

So while it may not be good to set fire to your dink after you've used ArmorAll on it, or to put the stuff in your e-cig, that shouldn't affect most users on the water.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:00   #24

I think that the issue here is whether coating something with ArmorAll, containing silicone materials, would make adhesion by a rubber paint (or any other paint that silicone contaminated), a non-starter.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:55   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Roy-
The "correct" answer is "that depends on the exact chemistry of the materials" and "no one has an extensive database of specific compatibilities".

The simpler and more practical answer is that a number of people have experienced "adhesion" failure after ArmorAll was used long-term on adhered materials. Some have seen the outer skin of dashboards separate from the foam underneath them. Personally, all I've seen is the flexible paint used on automobile bumpers start to lift in small areas. ("Rubber" bumper covers are colored in new car production, but sprayed with a flexible paint in collision repair, usually a body paint with an additive that makes it flexible.) Can't swear if the adhesion failure was caused by the ArmorAll or contamination when the paint was done, but IIRC the maker says not to use it on painted surfaces. You could check with them on that, for specific products.

Of course, all the tire companies will also tell you not to use any protectants or shines on auto tires as well. They are understandably afraid of liability and they will only say it could cause failure of the tire compound, they just don't test it and can't endorse it, at all.

Given that Zodiac condemns all their inflatable life rafts at ten years of age ("because the French government requires this") anticipating glue failures even in the best conditions...would you really want to take any chance on it?
Old 07-10-2014, 16:17   #26

Whatever happened to succinctness? Can't we simply say don't use silicone containing stuff where we may later wish to apply paint? I know all about old inflatables and their longevity. Today I trashed my old Metzler Tramper inflatable kayak. Very sad, but necessary. Anyone need a nice set of double backrests and paddles? I'd hate to toss those, as well.
Old 07-10-2014, 20:06   #27

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I am curious if anyone has found a product more effective than what was presented in this post many years ago. I had a Hypalon RIB that was over ten years old when it failed to hold air pressure. My current dinghy is eight years old and doing well, but I give it much use and exposure.

I understand that "chaps" would provide an excellent UV protection, but in my environment they provide an excellent place for spiders and mold.

Has anyone found success with a new hypalon protective coating?
Avon is now owned by Zodiac...you won't get $h1t from them.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:20   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Avon is now owned by Zodiac...you won't get $h1t from them.
Some have focused on this as an "Avon" question due to the OP first post in 2006. My more current inquiry has no tie to Avon or Zodiac, but simply the application of a protective paint over Hypalon. My own RIB happens to be a Caribe.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:52   #29

Location: In boat fixing' season I'm in a Maryland boat yard too close to Washington, DC ... except when I escape to home on the beach in Florida!
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 34

Armor All is NOT for hypalon inflatables. It does contain silicone. I called them and finally got an unequivocal answer.

3M 303 protectant is ok, no silicone, and when cleaned before repairs, will not interfere with glue/fabric/paint. I polled a half dozen inflatable repair companies and they all offered the same advice.

Custom car forums are filled with advice against using Armor All.

Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
svtrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:54   #30

Roger, thank you for the followup. Now we can put this issue to bed.