Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2008, 21:24   #16

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
has anyone found a solution to the davits problem with raising and keeping a portabote raised and assembled? The portabote has a lot of advantages, it's lighter, tougher, cheaper, uses less of an outboard to plane...but I don't know a way to easily raise it up on davits (web belts?). Also the sole advantage of a RIB would be positive floatation held captive in the tubes, a RIB really is impossible to sink. Maybe if you were to store life jackets under the seats in a stable and zippered compartment you could add reserve bouyance. I'd also probably cover the seats with something to prevent UV damage.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 23:47   #17

port-a-bote

I am interested in the answer to this question as well. We currently use a bort-a-bote and have read all the opinions on pros and cons. . We have a 9hp on it and man it FLIES! For the most part we love it, but I do have concerns of longevity and safety for longer passages.

Being able to use it with davits would definitely be another pro. We don't have them on our current vessel, but most likely will on the next.

Thanks!!
Sarah
sfreivald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2008, 02:01   #18

Yep its easy....up grade the seat to hull brackets to larger bearing plates, strengthen the seats and put in two eyebolts in each one. A short bridal goes to each of the pairs of eyebolts and the job is done. I have finally retired my porta ...to a gentle life beside a quite dam where it can warm its belly in the sun and go for a quite row around the ducks !! It is ancient as posted previously has had a flogging. It was unbelievably stable. I use to have gear stacked up on it like a cargo boat on the Ganges River. The new nester is faster, bu at 10 feet instead of 8 it still dosnt carry more. I would of kept the folder going but the nester sits on the aft coach roof perfectly. I have seen a heap of plastic moulded and timber dings come and go while my old origami just kept on going. The final problem was the staples at the seams where starting to come a bit loose which was letting water in.....I still miss it though..
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2008, 04:18   #19

port-a-bote

Thanks for the info, Cooper.

Fair winds,
Sarah
sfreivald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2008, 04:57   #20

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
I just sent a detailed email of Greg S's reservations concerning his portaboat to the manufacturer. I'll report back if/when they reply. I too thought this would make a great tender, but if I am leaving the U.S., I was concerned about the issues as well. I don't feel entirely comfortable with just an inflatable, as I intend to go a bit off the beaten track and would be up the creek (so to speak) if I blew a major hole in it. I was happy to hear that it goes along nicely with a small outboard, as I have been trying to minimize the fuss with my tender and have been looking at 2-3hp outboards with incorporated fuel tanks as well. Any opinions on them? Has anyone run one with an electric trolling motor? Is there an electric motor that incorporates a battery? Thanks for any/all replies.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2008, 10:14   #21

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
I just received this reply to my email:

Hello,

Thanks for contacting Porta-Bote,

It's unfortunate that with over 85,000 Porta-Bote in use around the world for over 35 years, a forum can take a few individuals problems and blow them completely out of proportion.

Upon investigations over the past few years we found several of these boats were over 15 years old and the owners admitted "beating the h_ ll out of them.

At the same time we have continually improved all parts of our products including the seats, oars. locks.

The Internet is a great place to learn. But, it can also be very misleading. If you look up "Rolls Royce", probably one of the finest motorcars on the planet, you will find complaints, also.

Looking forward to welcoming you aboard.

PortaTech

I thought it was a bit of a pissy reply to genuine concerns, as I have seen these complaints in other places. I expected something a bit more "salesman" like, with a bit more fact than what I got. I guess spending lots of cash on someone's product doesn't deserve a better reply . . . oh, how I wish the economy would crash a bit to revive customer service again . . .
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 13:19   #22

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
waterworldly,

would you wish for me to suddenly get a million dollars?

oh, how I wish the economy would crash a bit to revive customer service again . . .
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 16:51   #23

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
I think I posted before about my Porta Bote but will repeat some here with an additional comment - UGLY DINGHYS DON'T GET STOLEN :-).

1) The thing is nearly indestructable - has been droped from SEAPLANES and survived! We dragged it over anything w/o any damage beyond minor scrapes.
2) Easy to row and rides well even in whitecaps.
3) Dosen't tow at speed well but ours was the double-ended version, maybe the transom version is better.
4) If only it could easily be converted to sail.
Old 13-04-2009, 19:30   #24

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaks View Post
I think I posted before about my Porta Bote but will repeat some here with an additional comment - UGLY DINGHYS DON'T GET STOLEN :-).

1) The thing is nearly indestructable - has been droped from SEAPLANES and survived! We dragged it over anything w/o any damage beyond minor scrapes.
2) Easy to row and rides well even in whitecaps.
3) Dosen't tow at speed well but ours was the double-ended version, maybe the transom version is better.
4) If only it could easily be converted to sail.
I looked at one at the boat show and could not figure an easy way to hang it from davits without damage.

Any ideas?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 20:18   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Ring eye in each end, strap to each davit?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 10:57   #26

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Ring eye in each end, strap to each davit?

Nah.

They are so flexible that they would bow outward at the gunwale in the middle. Have you tugged on one?

I know they "hold thier shape" while in the water but hanging baskets they are not.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 12:20   #27
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

No, I haven't met one in the flesh yet. But "hanging basket" be the key. A couple of yards of flat webbing, laid out like a ladder with a loop at top and bottom. Slip the ladder under the portabote, lift it up from the loops in the ends. So, it will bend a bit. Aren't they supposed to do that?

A sheet of light ply, fiberglass, a couple of PVC pipes...all kinds of ways to make the basket into a lifting platform if you wanted to go that way, too. A PVC rectangle, float in, lift out?

What you really need is one of those "watertoy garages" that clamshell open from the transom, right? (VBG)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 20:43   #28

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
I've had my Port-a-bote not quite a year and have had a POS 4hp 2 stroke on it. It left me stranded and I had to row against the current and against the wind 1 knotical mile. That said, it wasn't too bad to row even under those conditions. I also had a borrowed 6hp Honda 4 stroke (heavy) but okay and just yesterday picked up my new 8hp Yamaha 2 stroke for it (60lbs). Scary fast, too fast. I'm trading the stock 8 1/2" x 7 1/2 pitch prop for a 9" x 7 pitch dual thrust prop for more power and less speed. What I also learn while fitting and testing the motor is that the transom is too low even for a short shaft outboard. The cavitation plate sits about 3 1/2 to 4" below the bottom of the bote and from what I understand it should be 3/4 to 1" below. Is that right?
It is a 10' 8" model and I can only say that so far so good. I really like it so far. VERY stable. Much proving yet to do though.
I store it inside my pilot house under the starboard settee.

Regards,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 13:23   #29

Boat: Boatless
I want to get rid of my 10' Porta-Bote! I need an 8' because the 10' is too big for me. I have had it for 4 years and really love the way it rides, the way it weighs, the way it is so durable but . . .too long for my Searunner 31. Trade??? Sell your 8????

Jim
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:15   #30

Boat: contessa 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimske View Post
I want to get rid of my 10' Porta-Bote! I need an 8' because the 10' is too big for me. I have had it for 4 years and really love the way it rides, the way it weighs, the way it is so durable but . . .too long for my Searunner 31. Trade??? Sell your 8????

Jim
hi jim ,am interested in yor porta bote if you still have it call me 845 229 0024 ----mike
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote