Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2021, 05:19   #286

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Re: Porta-bote haters: what's not to like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Skip,

I am in the middle of building a new transom to replace the factory folding transom. I think I have a decent design worked out, my fiberglassing skills leave much to be desired. It will be heavier than the factory folder but should fit both old and new transom designs.

I should have it completed within a week.

Where are you located these days?

PS: I think I mentioned before I never had the black marking problem you and other have reported. I suspect it is some minor difference in the plastic makeup. The boat hills are a polypropolene, but the top black tube might be something different. I suspect polyethelene (black water pipe) might work adequately with less marking.
We will be under way later this morning back to Vero beach following a surgical followup (reverse total replacement right shoulder 12-31-20) and grandkids sweep...

Pending no-issues on the use of the new joint we'll be cruising as much as possible.

I dearly wish that we could have a PortaBote as it's orders of magnitude more efficient and other plaudits, but the marking issue, dealt with for years without a solution, has killed that opportunity for us.

Our first bote didn't mark nearly as much but the new ones I'm told, after a time, do, as well.

Oh, well. History, now, irremedial.
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 08:28   #287

Hey Mike,

Would you have any solutions for smoothing the outside of my boat? I got ahold of one but its been in the sun for a while and the old paint is in pretty rough shape, I was thinking of wrapping it but I dont know how I feel about sanding the outside paint off due to messing with the integrity of the bote. After sanding I was going to wrap it with a marine grade vinyl to give it protection and a nice look. Any ideas?
PozitivePlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 08:35   #288

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PozitivePlanez View Post
Hey Mike,

Would you have any solutions for smoothing the outside of my boat? I got ahold of one but its been in the sun for a while and the old paint is in pretty rough shape, I was thinking of wrapping it but I dont know how I feel about sanding the outside paint off due to messing with the integrity of the bote. After sanding I was going to wrap it with a marine grade vinyl to give it protection and a nice look. Any ideas?
My PB isn't painted ... I've not seen one that is. They're made of some sort of plastic laminate, so the outer skin is a hard plastic material. I suppose you could paint the bottom, in which case you'd need some sort of solvent or stripper to remove the old paint. But I'd be careful about damaging the plastic.

If the actual outer plastic layer of the bote is peeling... well, that sounds bad .
Old 27-04-2021, 09:19   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
My PB isn't painted ... I've not seen one that is. They're made of some sort of plastic laminate, so the outer skin is a hard plastic material. I suppose you could paint the bottom, in which case you'd need some sort of solvent or stripper to remove the old paint. But I'd be careful about damaging the plastic.

If the actual outer plastic layer of the bote is peeling... well, that sounds bad .
Thanks for the reply, The bote is not bad, its integrity is in shape it just looks like the paint is chipping with makes for an uneven surface, Maybe I can sand down just the painted area without too much sanding of the actual plastic. the reason I wanted to sand is to put vinyl wrap on for a nice professional look. Would you recommend looking anywhere else for more info, it seems like the author of the post has gone into the abyss.

Something similar to this: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/7139...QGF8_9fj-z_uc4
Old 27-04-2021, 09:30   #290
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Porta-bote haters: what's not to like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
We will be under way later this morning back to Vero beach following a surgical followup (reverse total replacement right shoulder 12-31-20) and grandkids sweep...

Pending no-issues on the use of the new joint we'll be cruising as much as possible.

I dearly wish that we could have a PortaBote as it's orders of magnitude more efficient and other plaudits, but the marking issue, dealt with for years without a solution, has killed that opportunity for us.

Our first bote didn't mark nearly as much but the new ones I'm told, after a time, do, as well.

Oh, well. History, now, irremedial.

We use pool noodles with a slit cut down one side. They clamp onto the round rail pretty well, though may work their way of occasionally. My wife covered the pool noodle with sunbrella and has also sewn a line onto them to attach to the PB. Has worked well for us.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1166.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	237390
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 09:52   #291

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PozitivePlanez View Post
Thanks for the reply, The bote is not bad, its integrity is in shape it just looks like the paint is chipping with makes for an uneven surface, Maybe I can sand down just the painted area without too much sanding of the actual plastic. the reason I wanted to sand is to put vinyl wrap on for a nice professional look. Would you recommend looking anywhere else for more info, it seems like the author of the post has gone into the abyss.

I really don't have any experience with doing as you suggest. I think hpeer here might be able to speak more about the use of adhesives and other PB repairs.
Old 27-04-2021, 10:38   #292

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

PB’s are NOT painted. Paint will NOT stick. Period.

The hull is solid Polypropopene sheet.

In general there are NO good adhesives. Period.

You CAN plastic weld. I have welded up the typical transom leak, but am very skeptical if it will survive bending.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 11:17   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
PB’s are NOT painted. Paint will NOT stick. Period.

The hull is solid Polypropopene sheet.

In general there are NO good adhesives. Period.

You CAN plastic weld. I have welded up the typical transom leak, but am very skeptical if it will survive bending.
Hey Hpeer. thanks for the help. honestly I wasn't going to paint it, sounded like a bad idea in many ways, I was going to wrap it. Just wanted to reach out for pointers before I went that route. I was looking at this post and wanted to try and replicate. https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/7139...QGF8_9fj-z_uc4
any thoughts on that?
Old 27-04-2021, 11:18   #294

https://www.google.com/search?q=camo...OImbbMnyvprVjM
Old 27-04-2021, 11:19   #295

the first option, the link is a little finicky since its out of the states
Old 27-04-2021, 13:58   #296

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't so pintrest, sorry.

Why not post on the portaboat modifications FB page?

It is geared for a different audience than we cruisers. We are kind of focused on using the PB as a dingy. Or maybe its me, my PB is about 14 years old and near as ugly as me. Good proof against theft. I think you will find more resonance there.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/556827...f=group_browse
Old 27-04-2021, 14:29   #297

Boat: Camano Troll

I bought a Porta-Bote back in 2001 or so. I loved it and carried it around on the roof of my truck. Bystanders were amazed to see me unfold it and turn it into a boat right in front of their eyes.

The wooden transom eventually rotted but I made a replacement out of exterior plywood and it worked fine.

I left it set up in my yard for several months and when I went to fold it up, the plastic that covers the transom cracked and broke on both sides (right and left).

I have no idea what to do with it now other than using that miracle tape they advertise on TV so it hasn't been used in a while.

Any ideas?
Old 27-04-2021, 14:35   #298

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

I'm currently on the road so I don't have links to give you, but Eterna Bond works a treat.

I have sold my boat and as a result have some that you could have if you were near Vero beach. ..

My apologies for brevity and lack of documentation. I am on the road and using my phone.
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 19:23   #299

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I bought a Porta-Bote back in 2001 or so. I loved it and carried it around on the roof of my truck. Bystanders were amazed to see me unfold it and turn it into a boat right in front of their eyes.

The wooden transom eventually rotted but I made a replacement out of exterior plywood and it worked fine.

I left it set up in my yard for several months and when I went to fold it up, the plastic that covers the transom cracked and broke on both sides (right and left).

I have no idea what to do with it now other than using that miracle tape they advertise on TV so it hasn't been used in a while.

Any ideas?
If you mean major cracks you may be kinda screwed. Somewhere, probably on the Fb Portaboat Mods page, someone showed how to replace a transom bladder. I don't recall the details but they got some polypro sheet, removed the staples, and put t on the new bladder. I THINK they riveted back through the old staple holes, lots of rivits! Maybe you could use hog staples?

The poly sheet itself is cheap, under $50.

Personally I would huy a new boat and replace the transom.

Good luck.
Old 27-04-2021, 21:05   #300

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Several forum regulars have porta-botes and extoll their virtues. And what's not to like? Light, easy to store, can be rowed, sailed, or motored, long lasting, stable, gets up on plane with a small motor, etc etc etc. From the reports and reviews I can't figure out why anyone uses anything else.

So, what's the catch?

The only negative things I've been able to find are:
  1. Some people are concerned about the potential for damaging the stanchions on the mother ship, if the folded bote is lashed to them (as is customary) and green water comes over the deck.
  2. There was one isolated report of problems with build quality serious enough to detract from the ownership experience.
  3. Some people with limited upper body strength have trouble unfolding them.
What else? Bring it on...

Even a small permanent holding tank can hold way more than a porti-potti. What do you do when you are in port for a few days, your porti-potti fills up but it's illegal to empty it?

Holding tanks are typically vented directly outside. Porti-potties, typically are not.

I personally find it much easier and much more pleasant to dispose of waste by simply opening a valve and letting it drain out.

Often when one is 3 miles offshore, conditions are not nearly as conducive to hauling up a porti-pottie and dumping it. Simply opening a through hull is much, much easier in offshore conditions in my experience.

I've had composting toilets, porti-potties, RV type toilets and traditional marine heads. They all have their benefits and detriments. How those balance is dependent on one's cruising expereinece and personal preferences. My overall preference is for a traditional marine head with staright, inline gravity feed disposal. Open a through hull and it drains out. Simple.

If a porti-potti works well for you, great, don't change it. Overall, I prefer a traditional marine head for the above reasons.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote