Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2019, 12:55   #91

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Porta-bote haters: what's not to like?

Ann,

I could and would agree EXCEPT they give the impression it is total weight. IMHO it’s a clear attempt at deception. I also think they show the boats with some abnormally small people.

Whoever said the web site was poor was spot on. If they were smart they could clean up the site and gain credibility. When we go to a dingy dock and look at the PB amongst the RIB’s one thing clearly stands out, the PB has much more interior volume. Also you have seats to sit on. Elsewhere there was a thread on Minnisota state law that forbids sitting on a RIB pontoon. Now I think that’s silly, but still with PB you sit inside the boat on a seat, not on a pontoon awaiting launch and recovery.

PB could do some photos making some of these comparisons. And that would be more effective and honest marketing. Get an aerial shot of a dingy dock with a PB in the middle of the pack.

Another thing would be to provide the step length to enter the PB. So for the OB it is easy for me to simply step down onto a seat because I bring the boat right alongside the dock. With a RIB you have to step over the pontoons and down to the sole. It’s a very much more akward movement. The one time I fell in the water getting into a PB was because I had to go over a couple of RIBs/inflatables and it was really hard for me to do that because of the pontoon diameter and depth to the sole. That would be real easy to sketch out in section.

Just thinking it through for a moment, because we have no sugar scoop, we board amid ships, it would be damn near impossible for my wife to get in a rib. Never thought of that before.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 13:54   #92

I found the Porta-Bote to be difficult to get in and out of from a boat. With an inflatable I would stand on the pontoon and then into the boat. I also have seats that were easy to install as they were attached with Velcro. This is unlike the Pota-Bote where the seats are part of the structure of the boat. Porta-Botes also have a layer of foam on the inside of the gunwale. This degrades over time. As to longevity that depends on how much you use it. One person said he has 15 years with his. A quick look at his profile says he sails in Minnesota. If that is true then the use is only a few months a year. My friends replaced their's after 7 years, but they are live-aboard cruisers. In their situation a Porta-Bote is a bargain. To get an inflatable that will last 7 years in a 24/7 environment they would have to have an inflatable made with Hypalon. Easily a $1,000 upgrade over a PVC made similar boat. These are some of the many things one must consider.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 16:50   #93

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

I have a 10' and 8' bote. I used to have a 12' bote but sold it as I decided a smaller lighter package is better for me. I also have an 8' Achilles inflatable with the inflatable floor. I prefer the 8' bote mainly because it can withstand the rocky, barnacled beaches around here. I was always worried about popping the Achilles on the beach or when gunkholing in the rocky shallows.

With a 25 year old 3.5 Tohatsu the 8' bote planes at ~9-10 mph with me (185 lbs) and my wife (110 lbs). The Achilles will painfully just barely plane with just me at ~8 mph if I sit uncomfortably near the bow. The 10' bote planes much easier and a bit faster than the 8' bote so if you can fit a 10' or 12' I'd recommend either of those.

Rowing the 10' is better than the 8' or the Archilles. If its hot the flexy sides of the bote make rowing more difficult but doable. I added a 3' aluminum angle iron longitudinally along the cap rail that helps

I prefer my 8' bote over the 10' because it fits, lashed alongside my cabin top, without blocking access to the cockpit. The 10 footer would make access less convenient in my particular situation. I like that the bote folds and stores easily lashed to the cabin sides for rough weather. It really is never in the way there, though it blocks the windows, (I don't have life lines or stanchions). However I almost always store the dingy (Archilles or unfolded bote) on my trimaran’s nets, even up to ~ 20 knots of wind and moderate wind waves. Though it can get hellish above that we have no real ocean seas in the Salish. I use an old indoor/outdoor 5' x 5' carpet to protect the nets when I pull the bote up onto them. I also rounded the transom's lower corner pieces and the skeg with a grinder for the same reason.

There are only 2 seats on the 8' bote so the seat "accessory" bundle is 2/3 the size of the bigger, 3 seat, 10 and 12 foot botes. I made a bag from an old sail that the seats, 2 piece oars and sundry items fit snuggly in. It is a sizable but tidy package and I have a good, out of the way place to store it under the cockpit. Note that the older botes (Genisis??) have a separate transom board that adds to the accessory bundle size. On the newer botes (Alpha series) the transom folds into the bote so the bundle is smaller. The full package Achilles is around 10 lbs lighter than the 8' bote but I use the bote for the reasons stated. I used to use my old 6 hp 2 stroke Evinrude which is plenty of power for both Achilles or Bote (maybe a little much) but my advancing arthritis and age has soured me on horsing the 56 lbs Evinrude onto the dingy. The 3.5 Tohatsu at 29 lbs is much easier on me. If I had a bigger boat with davits I'd use the 6 on the 10' boat. Unless you often carry a load I can't see using anything bigger than the 5 or 6 two stroke on the 10 or 12' bote

The bote is wobbly...... in a different way, and you get used to it, but the Archilles isn't that stable either. I think the flexing of the bote cushions the ride somewhat compared to other dingys I've been in.

One draw back of the bote is that the bow is quite low and I worry about large waves coming over it. I am alert to slow down to keep the nose up in those cases. I haven't had any mishaps but I'd worry if I had a long way to go against a stiff breeze and long fetch. The company does make a bow fitting that might help but I made a better one. I also made a steering wheel which I love for not having to hold the engine tiller behind me. I'll see if I can attach pictures of this and another one I saw online that's a little more hillbilly.

In an ideal world I'd have an alu bottom ~11' RIB with 20 hp on davits on a 48' Gunboat.

Good luck. I like my bote
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Porta-bote hillbilly bow deck full view.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	183702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Portabote bow piece  130.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	183703  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Portabote steering wheel 130.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	399.9 KB
ID:	183704   Click image for larger version

Name:	F31 Spin & bote Broughtons 370.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	183705  

ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 02:39   #94
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Wow, excellent contribution, thanks!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 04:14   #95
Marine Service Provider

Videos • Quickboats
sailhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 09:12   #96

Boat: Rafiki 37

I like the look and features of the Quickboat. It’s a fairly obvious rip off, er, I mean ‘improvement’ off of portabote, but that’s fine with me (as long as it really is a significant change).

But are they in business? Their website says they sold out of their first run — in 2015. This was the latest news, and I can’t see them for sale anywhere. Is it still in development? If it was available I would definitely take a hard look at one when the time comes to replace mine portabote.
Old 13-01-2019, 10:08   #97
Marine Service Provider

I think riprovement might be more appropriate. Like your cheap knock off but actually an improvement on the original. That will only be borne out with the test of time of course. I do like the idea of composite panels though, easily repaired and no wobblebottom. Better to keep your balance and probably qicker to row if it holds its smooth shape better. As to availability you know as much as I do. They do come up on the local gumtree ads regularly at a reasonable price. I think it would definitely be worth a look thats for sure.
sailhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 10:34   #98

Boat: Rafiki 37

“riprovement” … I like that .
Old 13-01-2019, 10:48   #99

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Random thoughts.

I hitched a ride in one and was ambivalent about them. Still not convinced they are as easy to enter after diving than a RIB but that may be a matter of simply doing it over and over.

The biggest problem I see is with my RIB it maybe takes me two minutes to get it out of the water and secured on the davits; something I do every night. Not only to control growth on the bottom but for security reasons.

From what I have seen with a Bote you would have to remove the outboard, gas tank, anchor, chain, rope, and stuff in the boat (at a minimum for me the USCG required stuff I keep in a bag under the seat) before pulling it up on the deck. I did read a few posts about putting one on davits but it seems obvious this was not considered in the original design. Also have to wonder about putting the boat on davits with engine, gas, and other stuff in it given how flexible the Bote is.

The long vid was interesting view of the boat but it worried me when the guy was towing the boat and wind caught the bow and raised way up in the air. I have never towed my RIB (in big part because it is so easy to put it on davits) and think it is a really bad idea even for a short distance in calm conditions. Bottom line is I don't view towing a tender as a viable option.

The only other experience I have had with a Bote was at the Ft. Myers marina. I was at the dock and a friend on a ball there went to Walmart with me. We got back just in time for the daily afternoon thunderstorm. He was simply not able to row his Bote out to the ball and I had to lower my inflatable and tow him out there.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 11:54   #100

Re the customer service issue, PB will not even acknowledge, let alone address the issue of the boat falling apart (rivets, hinges, seat swivels etc). Again, we still like ours but you are on your own to bring it up to standard for ocean use. They are built for occasional fresh water use. If you buy one plan on replacing all of the hardware within a year, at your time and expense.
Caddy Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 12:18   #101

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy Shack View Post
Re the customer service issue, PB will not even acknowledge, let alone address the issue of the boat falling apart (rivets, hinges, seat swivels etc). Again, we still like ours but you are on your own to bring it up to standard for ocean use. They are built for occasional fresh water use. If you buy one plan on replacing all of the hardware within a year, at your time and expense.
I too have been disappointed with their Customer Service. The gentleman came across as extremely defensive and I could not get beyond that.

To the problems you had, I’ve not heard of these issues before. I’m guessing you have an Alpha, correct?

Which rivits gave out, the ones holding the flotation, holding the seat rails, or the transom hinges?

How did the transom hinges fail?

What size motor are you using?

Were you able to effect repairs?
Old 13-01-2019, 13:54   #102

Yes, after about three months use while cruising, one of the hinges cracked and several rivets had failed, on both the transom center and corner hinges. We bought a bag of SS nuts/bolts and drill out and replace the rivets as they fail. We bought a new Alpha.

We use a 6hp or row it (the oarlocks also broke). Other than being built with substandard hardware and the piss poor customer service attitude, we do like it.
Old 13-01-2019, 14:27   #103

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes, after about three months use while cruising, one of the hinges cracked and several rivets had failed, on both the transom center and corner hinges. We bought a bag of SS nuts/bolts and drill out and replace the rivets as they fail. We bought a new Alpha.

We use a 6hp or row it (the oarlocks also broke). Other than being built with substandard hardware and the piss poor customer service attitude, we do like it.
LOL Laughing with you! It’s a bitch ain’t it? Good product despite the attitude.

Thanks for the heads up, I will stock up on some hardware.

I’m not suprised the oarlock broke. I replaced mine to “real” oarlocks and use wooden oars. I used the “side mount” type and I backed them with some roughly 1/4” by 2” by 14” mahogany strips, distributes the load so you can put your back into it. The side mount holes even lined up pretty well with the PB holes.

Thinking about the old removable transom, they are held in by 4 1/4”x20 screws. The holes in the sides are actually bigger than that. I’ve see. No signs of stress on these holes. So MAYBE you could get by with fewer bolts going through the hinge. So long as the hinge itself is OK.

FYI, I forget what compelling reason I had at the time but I know once I took the transom out with the boat in the water and me in it. I’m still alive and not traumatized.
Old 13-01-2019, 14:46   #104

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:

Interesting, thank you. Our first PB was bought around 30 years ago - one of the ones with the canoe stern. We replaced that one 15 years ago and now replaced that one with a new Alpha. Sounds like PB has taken the Microsoft approach to new product development - 1 step forward, 2 back. When I looked at the construction of the first one, I thought it couldn't possibly last, but it did. Sounds like I should be prepared to replace bits on the Alpha as they fail. Would you suggest any preventative strengthening or just wait until rivets fail?
Old 13-01-2019, 14:59   #105

Well if you have time I would replace all the rivets, but as they tend to fail one or two at a time we haven't been too concerned...

One thing we do now as a preventative is run a tensioned strop from the outboard and around the rear seat, to pull the transom in. This greatly reduced transom flex. We have made many successful (and had one epic fail) launching and landing in head high surf, so the PB is seaworthy. Just have a bailer tied in and ready...