Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 16:42   #16

Boat: samson c-mist 32
Re: Portable Gen

Radiant propane heaters are a poor choice, and can only be used safely in a well ventilated space. As well as giving off lots of moisture with their mild gas smell, they also use the oxygen within the space. I use a bulkhead mounted dickinson propane fireplace,(vented through a double chimney witch uses outside air for combustion) is very nice & efficient. I also have a eu2000, and its a great to have on the boat also.
emeraldsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 16:59   #17

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldsea View Post
Radiant propane heaters are a poor choice, and can only be used safely in a well ventilated space. As well as giving off lots of moisture with their mild gas smell, they also use the oxygen within the space. I use a bulkhead mounted dickinson propane fireplace,(vented through a double chimney witch uses outside air for combustion) is very nice & efficient. I also have a eu2000, and its a great to have on the boat also.
Certainly this is a good heating solution but not for the OP who is just on one trip south.
Old 01-12-2011, 17:13   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Thanks again,Last year My wife and I went to the Army Navy Game ,Cold in Philly,she found some little packets of grabber warmers,we wore mittens put one in each mitten warm hands ,stuck one in each sock warm toes she wore a thermal pack on her back warm all over.I can keep the gen running all night keep the heat up all night no worry about carbonmonoxide,I'll go with the Gen
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 17:20   #19
Marine Service Provider

Hey Guy's I just remembered something the boat has some type of heater that runs off the engin hot water side never seen one before,water passes thru a radiator looking thing heats some coils and has a fan to blow the heat into the cabin,these things any good? If they are what a deal leaving it on all day warm cabin go below get warm in shifts,at night crank up the Gen,Man I already looking forward to winter Sailing
Old 01-12-2011, 17:36   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
I believe you mean carbon monoxide but you most definitely DO have to be worried. You would never, ever run the genset in the cabin. As to the endurance, you can either make or purchase an optional fuel line that allows the generator to feed off a 5-6 gallon jerry can.

I have the Honda 2kw and love it. If I place it on the aft deck I don't even hear it below. There is some vibration so you might wish put something under it like a small rubber floor mat otherwise some of that vibration may translate to noise below. I've not used mine to run a heater but have run a 5K btu air conditioner for about 6 hours on a gallon of fuel.

Have fun,
Rich
On the aft deck, do you keep it weather proof? I am trying to work out options for next winter (plan B is to go ashore ). No neighbours to annoy with the noise in winter .......I would go solid fuel, but might need a generator anyway - if I go Electric for a motor, still mulling that over.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 17:38   #21

Boat: Cherubini Independence 45

If you are going to run a generator all night or plug into shore power, an electric blanket is a great addition that consumes less than 200 watts for $60 to $100.

Ted

O.C.Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 17:47   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.Diver View Post
If you are going to run a generator all night or plug into shore power, an electric blanket is a great addition that consumes less than 200 watts for $60 to $100.

Ted
Ted:

You took the words right off of my keyboard. Yep could have four electric blankets on and it the Honda would still be operating in ECO mode and at half of it's max wattage rating. Though I have found the nice comforter I have on board is enough to keep me nice and toasty overnight. Never found a need to run the Honda once I hit the bunk.
Old 01-12-2011, 17:54   #23
Marine Service Provider

Hard to conect when you are at Anchor
Old 01-12-2011, 18:04   #24

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Is CF changing? Where are all the you're gonna die posts? Previous threads had people saying no matter where you put the gen you're gonna die, and when (not if) it catches on fire you will be burned up and then your insurance won't cover you either.

Same for catalytic heaters, no matter how much ventilation you were doomed!

Nice to see more realistic concerns voiced.

John
cal40john is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 18:31   #25

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Is CF changing? Where are all the you're gonna die posts? Previous threads had people saying no matter where you put the gen you're gonna die, and when (not if) it catches on fire you will be burned up and then your insurance won't cover you either.

Same for catalytic heaters, no matter how much ventilation you were doomed!

Nice to see more realistic concerns voiced.

John
Maybe they all died.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:11   #26

Boat: samson c-mist 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Certainly this is a good heating solution but not for the OP who is just on one trip south.

hmm, ....they smell, eat up O2, hazardous if knocked over or left unattended, and usually on a boat we want to get rid of moisture not add to it....so besides the fact they are portable and cheap, not sure whats good about them....just saying
emeraldsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:24   #27

Honda 2000i............amazing and puts out 12volt as well!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:17   #28

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook

Quote:
I have the Honda 2kw and love it. If I place it on the aft deck I don't even hear it below. There is some vibration so you might wish put something under it like a small rubber floor mat otherwise some of that vibration may translate to noise below.
I read somewhere an old car tire under the generator will absorb any vibration.
CharlesFCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:43   #29
Eternal Member

With regards to running the generator on the aft deck, if it looks like rain I just rig a small tarp to keep most of rain off. The unit looks pretty well sealed and I doubt a little rain would hurt it.

As to electric blankets. I've not tried to run one off the Honda but I did once try to run one off the inverter. It didn't work. For some reason unknown to me the electric blankets require a true sine wave power source for their controller. Offhand, I don't recall if the Honda output is a true sine wave.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:15   #30

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
With regards to running the generator on the aft deck, if it looks like rain I just rig a small tarp to keep most of rain off. The unit looks pretty well sealed and I doubt a little rain would hurt it.

As to electric blankets. I've not tried to run one off the Honda but I did once try to run one off the inverter. It didn't work. For some reason unknown to me the electric blankets require a true sine wave power source for their controller. Offhand, I don't recall if the Honda output is a true sine wave.

Rich
The controller on many small appliances use triacs that are triggered on the slope of the sinewave to the voltage selected, ...a modified sine wave, (square wave), has no slope to key on.

The generator should be a good sine wave.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote